Panlords Need Buffs

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 17th June 2020, 15:11

Panlords Need Buffs

Give panlords still winds and blink close and constrict. Make them like liches so that looking at them reveals multiple possible spell sets until they cast a spell. And add a new spell: blink stairs. Some panlords blink to an 'up' staircase and have a trample attack. Also I'm not sure how, but I think that sticks to snakes and butterflies are overpowered during ascension. And let seal doors interrupt climbing just as it displaces you from doorways. Anything to make ascension force more interaction with enemies. Distortion brand, even. If orb guardians had distortion brand or constrict, with slightly lower... Maybe a monster called "orb overlord" which is a red orb guardian with constriction and haste. Or better yet, a panlord spell... OOH!

Orb guardians have a steal brand which allows them to carry the orb of zot, transforming them into a red orb overlord with constrict and haste and recall. Recall summons all enemies that you've aggro'd on the previous floor. Haste is an ability. And their unarmed skill rises so that they can reliably constrict. Oh and it grows three additional eyeballs when it transforms.
In Ziggurat:27 born and raised, on the Zot stairs where I spent most of my days chilling out maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-breath outside of lungs. When a couple CK - they were up to no good - started makin trouble in my neighbourhood!

For this message the author FakerFangirl has received thanks:
chequers

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 18th June 2020, 18:32

Re: Panlords Need Buffs

Sounds complicated.

Your suggestions re: Pan Lords sound hellish, but I like them. The trample and blink stairs thing particularly I think could really spice up ascension.

I'm not too sure on the orb guardian ideas though I'm afraid!

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 18th June 2020, 22:13

Pan Lords do tend to be a bit tame... though zigurat divers might disagree

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 18th June 2020, 22:51

I like the idea of a spell that blinks the stairs around.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 19th June 2020, 09:09

FakerFangirl wrote:Give panlords still winds and blink close and constrict. Make them like liches so that looking at them reveals multiple possible spell sets until they cast a spell. And add a new spell: blink stairs. Some panlords blink to an 'up' staircase and have a trample attack. Also I'm not sure how, but I think that sticks to snakes and butterflies are overpowered during ascension. And let seal doors interrupt climbing just as it displaces you from doorways. Anything to make ascension force more interaction with enemies. Distortion brand, even. If orb guardians had distortion brand or constrict, with slightly lower... Maybe a monster called "orb overlord" which is a red orb guardian with constriction and haste. Or better yet, a panlord spell... OOH!

Orb guardians have a steal brand which allows them to carry the orb of zot, transforming them into a red orb overlord with constrict and haste and recall. Recall summons all enemies that you've aggro'd on the previous floor. Haste is an ability. And their unarmed skill rises so that they can reliably constrict. Oh and it grows three additional eyeballs when it transforms.

I made a pull request inspired by some of these ideas: https://github.com/crawl/crawl/pull/1456

Among other changes, it adds these things to (some) pan lords:
* Blink close
* Seal doors
* Trample

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 23rd June 2020, 01:19

Needlessly punishing.
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 6th July 2020, 14:43

FakerFangirl wrote:Give panlords still winds and blink close and constrict. Make them like liches so that looking at them reveals multiple possible spell sets until they cast a spell.

Their spells used to be a mystery until cast; this was explicitly changed to show them immediately. It's hard to imagine it changing back.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th July 2020, 05:20

chequers wrote:Among other changes, it adds these things to (some) pan lords:
* Blink close
* Seal doors
* Trample

Very nice. I look forward to fighting a seal doors panlord, and enjoyed getting trampled. Removing summon butterflies also makes the orb runs non-trivial ;)

damerell wrote:Their spells used to be a mystery until cast;

That's why ancient liches are terrifying. You never know if you're gonna get paralyzed+OoD, or LCS'd, or surrounded by wraiths. There is a popular cardgame where you have to assess multiple threats and optimize with incomplete information. Knowing everyone else's cards would make Poker as boring as Blackjack.
In Ziggurat:27 born and raised, on the Zot stairs where I spent most of my days chilling out maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-breath outside of lungs. When a couple CK - they were up to no good - started makin trouble in my neighbourhood!

Return to Game Design Discussion