Have Xom Explicitly Gift Ammo

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 8th June 2020, 13:55

Have Xom Explicitly Gift Ammo

In 0.25, Okawaru is the only god remaining that gifts ammo. For bows, crossbows, and large rocks there is sufficient ammo on the floor to (eventually) adopt a hunter lifestyle at all ranges. This is not the case for sling bullets and javelins and darts, sometimes even if Shoals spawns, though there is a pull request to merge bullets and stones that I strongly support.

Meanwhile Xom is similar to scythes, in that it's a god that exists but one few would actively choose, and fewer among those with more game experience. Xom is the only mechanism I know of in the game for accumulating a long list of benemuts and can gift insane gear, but those possibilities (and being Xom they are only possibilities) is the only in-game reason I see to choose to worship Xom.

If Xom is guaranteed to gift ammo on a separate gift timer, in addition to his other gifts that come randomly from Xom actions and are only sometimes ammo, then there is a second incentive to actively choose Xom. Of course Xom isn't going to care about your skills when he gifts ammo (Oh, 26 Crossbows? Have some sling bullets). But if Crawl is attempting to remove no-brainers, this would mitigate 0.25's no-brainer of "worship Oka if you want to focus on ranged combat, particularly if you also want a shield."
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2020, 01:28

Re: Have Xom Explicitly Gift Ammo

I don't think Xom is the right god to propose adding guaranteed gifts to.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2020, 01:49

chequers wrote:I don't think Xom is the right god to propose adding guaranteed gifts to.

I suspect Xom would gift you ammo by shooting it at you... "Catch!"
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
runewalsh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2020, 04:30

There are like 10 better gods than Okawaru even for characters that use ranged combat a lot. Just because a god has apparent "synergy" with your character doesn't mean they're the best god, or even necessarily good.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2020, 10:24

duvessa wrote:There are like 10 better gods than Okawaru even for characters that use ranged combat a lot. Just because a god has apparent "synergy" with your character doesn't mean they're the best god, or even necessarily good.

Maybe for winrate.
If you want to go pure crossbow or pure chucker you're pretty much forced to go with an ammo-gifting god though. Also Oka Javelins really are insane, I can't see any other god/strategy being better than it in a quantifiable way.

Withregard to the OP, I don't think it would suit Xom to gift useful ammo, and even if he gave 'random' ammo it'd be hard to make it random enough. Maybe a tiny chance of getting a very large amount of ammo could work.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2020, 13:13

Siegurt wrote:
chequers wrote:I don't think Xom is the right god to propose adding guaranteed gifts to.

I suspect Xom would gift you ammo by shooting it at you... "Catch!"

That sounds like a cool Xom effect, if it isn't already there.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2020, 15:52

I like that.

"Catch!"

Arrows rain from the ceiling!

Grants ammo, does damage to everything on-screen, including the player. Very Xommy.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2020, 16:27

Aean wrote:I like that.

"Catch!"

Arrows rain from the ceiling!

Grants ammo, does damage to everything on-screen, including the player. Very Xommy.

I'm beginning to like this :)

wrt the details, maybe shooting D3 arrows (+0 shortbow base damage) / bolts (+0 hand crossbow) / bullets (+0 sling) / javelins (base damage) / darts / boomerangs (base damage, return to Xom after dealing damage) at every tile in LOS would work?

For this message the author petercordia has received thanks: 2
chequers, mgcat

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 15th June 2020, 22:02

MainiacJoe wrote:In 0.25, Okawaru is the only god remaining that gifts ammo. For bows, crossbows, and large rocks there is sufficient ammo on the floor to (eventually) adopt a hunter lifestyle at all ranges. This is not the case for sling bullets and javelins and darts, sometimes even if Shoals spawns, though there is a pull request to merge bullets and stones that I strongly support.

Meanwhile Xom is similar to scythes, in that it's a god that exists but one few would actively choose, and fewer among those with more game experience. Xom is the only mechanism I know of in the game for accumulating a long list of benemuts and can gift insane gear, but those possibilities (and being Xom they are only possibilities) is the only in-game reason I see to choose to worship Xom.

If Xom is guaranteed to gift ammo on a separate gift timer, in addition to his other gifts that come randomly from Xom actions and are only sometimes ammo, then there is a second incentive to actively choose Xom. Of course Xom isn't going to care about your skills when he gifts ammo (Oh, 26 Crossbows? Have some sling bullets). But if Crawl is attempting to remove no-brainers, this would mitigate 0.25's no-brainer of "worship Oka if you want to focus on ranged combat, particularly if you also want a shield."

So in my view the point of Xom is to make the game more challenging by increasing randomness.

How would Xom gifting ammo support these design goals??

For this message the author Reptisaurus has received thanks:
vt

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 16th June 2020, 21:13

Ammo type would be weighed towards the players' lowest ranged skill, with bonus points for being completely unusable.
(So people can recommend starting CK as troll: "You'll never get unusable ammo gifts!")

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 7th July 2020, 14:29

Why aren't you killing anything teddy bear? This is BORING. Do you need ammo for your crossbow? Here.

You see here 253 arrows.
You hear Xom's maniacal laughter. You are now a very special plaything of Xom.

Return to Game Design Discussion