Please stop nerfing good stuff

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 14th May 2020, 07:24

Please stop nerfing good stuff

Recently, several useful spells/items have been nerfed (or removed entirely) because apparently they're OP.
That might be true for elite players, but for the other 90% of us this game is already hard enough. We need these little glimmers of hope in a world full of torment and confusion. Please stop. I'm begging you.

For this message the author MrDizzy has received thanks: 2
Grisemine, quik

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th May 2020, 07:45

Re: Please stop nerfing good stuff

Please keep nerfing good stuff

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 14th May 2020, 09:15

duvessa wrote:Please keep nerfing good stuff

You would say that. You and that brother of yours are a menace to innocent dungeon crawlers. All we want to do is come in and slaughter your friends with Lightning Spire and Borgnjor's Vile Clutch. Is that too much to ask?

For this message the author MrDizzy has received thanks: 4
byrel, Majang, nago, Olliff

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th May 2020, 18:29

Yes

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 17th May 2020, 14:45

The basis given for many of the nerfs/removals wasn't that they were overpowered. In some cases the basis was nonsense, but it's not true that these things are generally being taken out because they're perceived to be too strong. At least, that's not the reasoning given for doing so in most cases. There are some exceptions of course.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 8th June 2020, 16:41

I don't think we should necessarily stop nerfing good stuff, and I am fine with item nerfs.

Nerfing things that are reliable such as starting spells is also substantially higher impact that nerfing rng based loot such a reflection/reflect missiles equipment that seems borderline OP. The other changes to loot such as standardizing attribute and evasion rings to +6 or -4 also was a fairly significant buff since +6 before was fairly rare and they can drop very early on.

I am not a primary spellcaster player, but it seems these changes have hit casters harder than other playstyles. Was that intentional? Reading the patch notes implies it was partially done to make the magic school more distinct.

I don't have access to the stats, but I would focus on nerfing unreliably RNG loot spikes first before nerfing the core tools of backgrounds unless their win rate was crazy high, which I find hard to believe since melee seems easier to win in this game.

I would revert some if not all of the spell changes and revisit the attribute/evasion ring stat to changes to something like -4, +2, +6. On my last .25 run I had three +6 items before D:10. Also consider changing reflect/repel missiles items. I would also try avoid nerfing starting spells unless there is a very compelling reason to do so. I personally already find spell backgrounds more challenging than melee ones, and these changes seem like clear nerfs despite being done for "design" reasons.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2021, 08:05

We must nerf everything until the only viable strategy is to max stealth and drag everything up stairs one by one to kill with god abilities like berserk.

90% of the spells in the game are dead content, meaning we only have 10% to go! Blink should get axed next: make level 4 and cause draining.

For this message the author snow has received thanks:
Grisemine

Return to Game Design Discussion