Nerf Sacrifice Experience

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 11th May 2020, 15:08

Nerf Sacrifice Experience

Let's be honest - this is not "incredible sacrifice". Losing two levels does not impede your character, yet it gives a huge amount of piety. I think piety gain from that sacrifice should be nerfed to "moderate", around 15-20. Or the sacrifice itself buffed - instead of losing two levels, you instead gain new levels much slower, and then it decreases your current level retroactively, as if you played with this debuff from the very start. Then it is worthy to be maybe a major sacrifice.

For this message the author Zap-zapper has received thanks:
chequers

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 11th May 2020, 15:49

Re: Nerf Sacrifice Experience

I agree, I almost always pick this sacrifice if it's available. Though I guess it's possible XL is actually more useful than we perceive it to be?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 11th May 2020, 16:33

Sac experience is kind of weird. It's often a big drawback right when you take it (going from xl 5 to xl 3 immediately reduces your max hp by a little more than 30% iirc). However, because the experience cost of the next xl increases with xl, you can catch up very quickly. The sacrifice does nothing from that point until lategame. Most of the xl loss penalties are also directly affected by other ru sacrifices. There are ru sacs for frail, -MR, and lowered stats for example.

If ru mutations are supposed to be impactful all game long then sac exp does a pretty bad job of doing that, imo. Maybe slower xp gain all game is different enough to be worth pursuing? I don't think I'd take the current version very often at 20 piety.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks:
duvessa

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 11th May 2020, 16:35

Should just apply -2 to your experience level wherever it's checked instead of screwing around with experience points to apply the effect.
This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

For this message the author tealizard has received thanks: 2
petercordia, runewalsh

Return to Game Design Discussion