Proposal: Change Deck of Escape to Deck of Hex

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 1st May 2020, 09:43

Proposal: Change Deck of Escape to Deck of Hex

Currently, Deck of Escape exists in an ambiguous position.
The force that makes you avoid risk is always clearly overwhelmingly good. Therefore, the means of escape must be restricted from being abused, and most of them have been successfully controlled. However, since Deck of Escape can be used so many times in its structure, it is difficult to limit. Therefore, developers have complicatedly twisted the way escape cards are used to balance them. And this complex structure hinders players from understanding and easy use of the card's effects.
So, I think the deck of escape needs to be redesigned in a clearer form. I took note of the 'Hex'-based cards that the escape deck had previously, and I saw them fit the concept of the new deck. And as much as Hex weakens enemies, it partially facilitates the player's escape.

[New Deck]
Deck of Hex

[Remove Deck]
Deck of Escape

[Hex card]
Below is the rough idea of the card.

Cage card: Block the movement of the enemy.

Adrift crad: Replace the positions of all targets in the field of view, including the player. Enemies can be confused with low probability, which increases with the power of the card.

Paranoia card: It gives flays to enemies and anti-flays(temporary HP recovery) to players.

Gravity card: Slow down all enemies, cancel flight effects.

Traitor card: enslave one of the strongest enemies in sight

What do you think?

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 1st May 2020, 15:33

Re: Proposal: Change Deck of Escape to Deck of Hex

Traitor and Gravity sound interesting, though Gravity might be a little weak.

The Deck of Escape is currently the only deck who's cards are actually situational, but they are also very powerful in the right situation. It has different dynamics to Summoning and Destruction (both of which I tend to spam-draw or draw-4), but that seems ok to me. Having a reason to draw-3 & stack-5 adds some variety to Nemy.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 1st May 2020, 15:48

Re: Proposal: Change Deck of Escape to Deck of Hex

Are these MR checks? If not even gravity is pretty strong actually, and traitor is extremely strong (does it ignore hell/pan lords for example, or do these actually turn traitor :p?). Even if the top end uniques ignored it, stacking traitors could shred most rough encounters in the game.

Spamming adrift at high power for non-MR confuse wouldn't be trivial either.

Strong stuff, enough to outperform the current escape series. I'm not convinced the current escape set is bad enough to merit that, even though escape is the only deck I stack when playing Nem (draw 4 destruction/summoning is very potent and cares less for sequence by comparison).

Return to Game Design Discussion