Elyvilon rework

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 10th February 2020, 03:24

Elyvilon rework

I added a pull request this: https://github.com/crawl/crawl/pull/1279
This is the executable file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jBIr3rd_3h4o6o9qFYPPID12uxx9fwJc
(The base version is 0.25 and is patched up to Feb. 9)

Overview
Elyvilon is a god with a theme of healing and protection. This theme is currently well managed but unfortunately too loyal to the theme image, the Elyvilon play style is dull and boring. So I'm not going to deviate from the frame of the theme, but I have try to change Elyvilon in the most dynamic way possible.

Main Changes:
1. Lesser Healing, Greater Healing, Purification, Divine Vigour, Divine Protection has been remove.
2. The new power purifies you and makes holy clouds under your feet. You heal slowly here.
3. If you succeed in pacify the enemy, recover hp / mp. Also, you can now swap places with pacified enemies and are not attacked by them.
4. Elyvilon sometimes disarm your enemies(passive effect).
5. You can transform yourself into a holy creature that is protected from the Elyvilon. Its has strong unarmed attacks and high defenses.

All Changes(It's a bit long)
Spoiler: show
Penance: Killing living monsters while Divine Protection is active. It's been remove.

Given Abilities
Piety level -:
* Protection from harm - Elyvilon may negate an attack that would otherwise kill you. This activates 10+(Piety/10)%
* Heal in the holy cloud - You heal 2+0~1 every turn in Holy Clouds.
* Disarm enemy weapons - Elyvilon attempts to disarm each weapon and ammo if it finds an enemy with more than human intelligence in sight. If successful, move them under your feet. Disarm Probability: (25 + Piety/8)%

Piety level *:
* Mist of Purification - This power is purification you and creates a holy cloud under your feet. This can be used while confused. The duration is 2d((Invocation/3)+10) + (Invocation/3) +8. (Costs 2 MP, 250-500 Food, and 2-3 Piety)

Piety level **: No new abilities.

Piety level ***:
* Heal Other - The target monster gains 2d((Invocation/6)+3)+(Invocation/6)+8 HP. (Costs 250-500 Food, and 2-3 Piety)
Using this ability on a hostile monster may pacify it, earning you half the XP you'd gain for killing it. Every time you attempt this, the game compares your healing factor against the creature's max HP.
If you beat this test, the creature is pacified and roam the map(you can swap places with pacified enemies and are not attacked by them). Also, you recover hp/mp. Note that not all monsters can be pacified.

Piety level ****: No new abilities.

Piety level *****:
* Metamorphosis - Transform into a holy creature protected by Elyvilon for a duration. If you are mortally wounded at this duration, the Healer may undo the killing blow. But in that case, any intervention costs piety(10 + 0~20). The duration and armour increases with Invocations skill. (Costs 600-1200 Food, and 6-9 Piety)
Graphical tiles are temporarily borrowed from pearl dragon.
Pros
* Enhanced Unarmed Combat
- Holy wrath branded unarmed attacks
- Base UC bite damage = 22 + UC
- 3 ranks of the Claws mutation (increased base damage)
- Two auxiliary attacks: Tail slap and Bite 3
- Accuracy bonus: +1d10
* rN+++, rRot, MR+, SInv
* +30% HP
* AC bonus (6 + (Invocation)/2.7, max 16)
* Increased GDR: A Holy creature's GDR is calculated as though the base AC of the body armour they are wearing is 6 greater.(remove)

Cons
* gloves, and boots meld into your character, becoming inactive.

Piety level ******: No new abilities.

Feedback wanted:
I deliberately curbed the cost of mana so that non-Warrior jobs could serve Elyvilon. Because, I wonder if various combinations are possible. Perhaps it is too strong. But balance can be controlled. What I'm paying attention to is whether it's fun to play this. Is this god interesting enough to serve until you wins the game?
Last edited by sdynet on Monday, 17th February 2020, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author sdynet has received thanks:
chequers

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 10th February 2020, 12:20

Re: Elyvilon rework

Text gripes only:
  • Elyvilon "heals you little by little when you are in a holy cloud". Well, no; Elyvilion lets you create a holy cloud that heals you slowly. They don't hand out healing when you happen to stroll into any (non-existent) holy clouds that you find.
  • "Purges your body of negative effects such as poison, confusion, slowness,
    petrification, rotting, and sickness, and fully restores any lost strength,
    dexterity or intelligence and then create a holy cloud under your feet.

The duration is increases with Invocations skill."

This is a bit word soup. Suggest:

"Purges your body of negative effects such as poison, confusion, slowness,
    petrification, rotting, and sickness; fully restores any lost strength,
    dexterity, or intelligence; and creates a holy cloud under your feet which heals
    you slowly.

The duration of the cloud is increased by Invocations skill."
  • "purify yourself and then Create a holy cloud" - spurious capital on "Create".
  • "The mist shine" - no, it "shines". Error appears in two places.
  • Metamorphosis - "You may be certain of this help, but in that case, any intervention costs piety." - when may you be certain of this help? (Compare the existing Divine Protection - "Especially pious individuals ...") "You becomes" should be "You become" (error in two places, one of which has a bogus capital Y). "able to deal great damage in melee combat, and much more robust." - spurious comma. "You gain a holy melee attack" - and does it use Unarmed Combat skill? (If so, "Your Unarmed Combat attacks deal holy damage") "You will also be able to sense a transparent enemy" - "You can also see invisible enemies". "The duration and armour increases with Invocations skill" - "The duration and armour are increased by Invocations skill." "a shine holy creature" - "a shining holy creature", if no better word than "creature" can be found. "You emerge from the shine" - in all candour I'm not even sure what this is meant to say.
  • "Elyvilon will give powers you if you succeed in pacifying the creature" - say _what_ powers.
  • "GOD sometimes disarm your enemies" - "disarms". Same error on next line and in describe-god.cc.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

For this message the author damerell has received thanks:
sdynet

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 10th February 2020, 15:33

damerell wrote:"able to deal great damage in melee combat, and much more robust." - spurious comma.

I regret to say I was mistaken here and this comma is not spurious. I'll review the new changes when I get a chance.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 10th February 2020, 15:36

Thank you! I read your suggest and revised all of those parts. :D
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/pull/1279/commits/e3a5ef6cc53acd91ff083a6172bbb75ab9211f2a

I'll also update the executable file.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 10th February 2020, 16:15

I also find the current Elyvilon too boring to worship, so I would be interested to try this.

Purification + positional healing over time for 2-3 piety seems over-strong.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

For this message the author mattlistener has received thanks:
sdynet

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 10th February 2020, 16:21

damerell wrote:
damerell wrote:"able to deal great damage in melee combat, and much more robust." - spurious comma.

I regret to say I was mistaken here and this comma is not spurious. I'll review the new changes when I get a chance.

"While you're transform, you may be certain of this help" - "While you're transformed".

"Elyvilon will give health and magic energies you if you" - spurious "you", and I think I'd just be willing to acknowledge the existence of game mechanics and say "Elyvilon will grant you HP and MP if you succeed..."

I'm not clear on whether Elyvilon sometimes protects you even if you are not transformed. If not, I don't think the information about this should appear under the Metamorphosis ability. If so, it doesn't need all this "in that case" because this is the only case; just say "When you are transformed, if you suffer a mortal wound, the Healer will undo the killing blow at the cost of considerable piety."

I don't think it was necessary to change 2passive_t::disarm_enemy" both because that was correct and because only player-facing text really wants to be corrected.

For this message the author damerell has received thanks:
sdynet

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 10th February 2020, 17:23

Protection from harm: There are two kinds of this.
Passive effect proportional to piety, as with other good gods. Another is the power that is activated in a state of transform, you are clearly protected from fatal injury but at a cost.

All other description has been corrected.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 17th February 2020, 14:43

[Changes]
* Fixed an issue where Disarm passives would work even when not serving Elyvilon.
* Nerfed heal in the holy cloud - (before)2+0~2 heal. (now)2+0~1 heal.
* Removed GDR bonus from Metamorphosis.

I updated the executable file.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 19th February 2020, 18:57

The 3 "good" gods would benefit from a clarity of definition. If I were to redesign from cratch, I would divide them as such:

The Shining One: evil is innate. Vampires are evil, dragons are evil, orcs are evil, undead are evil. etc. Mutations is not something he really understands.
Zin: Evil is corrupting/mutating/twisting others. Zin would dislike unnatural and twisted creatures, mutators, slimes. Close to what he's now.
Elyvilon: Evil is violence

Under this definition, Elyvilon would understand evil as (excessive) bloodbath. Elyvilon wouldn't mind poison, stabbing, or ordering others to kill. A bit like Pax in POWDER, but less severe. Elyvilon would be offended by using axes, explosions, multi-target bolts. Badly wounded monsters would surrender and go away.

Return to Game Design Discussion