Nerf confusion

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 20th October 2019, 20:31

Nerf confusion

Confusion making SH from an amulet or a god 0 feels really silly please fix it.

Making jewelry not be multiplied by the Tengu flight buff means the devs don't want jewelry to be effected by status conditions anyway so while you are at it make rings of evasion not be turned off when paralyzed, petrified, or asleep.

For this message the author gishou has received thanks: 3
byrel, petercordia, quik

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 27th October 2019, 20:30

Re: Nerf confusion

gishou wrote:Confusion making SH from an amulet or a god 0 feels really silly please fix it.

Implemented as https://github.com/damerell/crawl/commit/922b26c83f102b43a334a04ad1cd733f1c3afe24 which I guess vanilla may want to take.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

For this message the author damerell has received thanks: 3
kcfos, petercordia, Shtopit

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 27th October 2019, 21:01

I wonder whether the same rationale (halving SH because the bony plates are still in the way, but are easier to avoid) could also apply to shield-based SH?

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 27th October 2019, 22:44

petercordia wrote:I wonder whether the same rationale (halving SH because the bony plates are still in the way, but are easier to avoid) could also apply to shield-based SH?

I felt that would be too much of a nerf to confusion. The shield is dangling uselessly at your side. The bony plates are stuck to you, so can still provide some protection.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 28th October 2019, 00:49

I think it's getting too complex to identify sources of SH and make some affected by confusion and some not. It would be better to make SH either unaffected by or completely disabled by confusion.

If some sources of SH should be disabled by confusion but others not, this would need to be communicated to the player. Otherwise this will become a hidden game mechanic explained by Sequell to experienced players and a source of confusion for everyone else.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 30th October 2019, 06:36

chequers wrote:I think it's getting too complex to identify sources of SH and make some affected by confusion and some not. It would be better to make SH either unaffected by or completely disabled by confusion.

I'll grant you the halving of mutated SH is basically pointless overdesign, but I don't think "shields don't work, gods and magic do" is too baffling - especially since I think the overwhelmingly most likely case is that the player wearing a +n amulet of reflection will find they have SH n when confused.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 30th October 2019, 14:42

IMO confusion is in a decent place. It's far weaker than paralysis, but still a risk to player turns/defenses and still useful on monsters. Gimping its impact on shields makes it significantly less threatening...and less useful. Melee characters might barely notice in some situations.

It also has a lot more counterplay than paralysis, and isn't some bizarre asymmetric mechanic like mutations.

I broadly agree with consistency in its effects, but in terms of its effects it doesn't need to be weaker IMO.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 30th October 2019, 16:07

As long as you can remove confusion with the most common potion in the game, it doesn't need to be nerfed.
This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

Return to Game Design Discussion