Make all Vehumet spell offers permanent

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th October 2019, 15:46

Make all Vehumet spell offers permanent

I think Vehumet would be much more fun to play if all spell offers would stay as long as you worship Vehumet. Currently, you occasionally miss out on a spell you would have wanted, unless you 1) overtrain Spellcasting for several extra spell slots or 2) have amnesia scrolls and are willing to forget one or more spells you're currently using and memorize a spell you probably can't use right away.

I can't see any downside to just making all spell offers permanent, except that it is of course a slight buff to Vehumet. If this is a problem, increase the gift timeout to compensate, for example.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 6
chequers, Fingolfin, nago, rigrig, runewalsh, Shtopit

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th October 2019, 01:08

Re: Make all Vehumet spell offers permanent

The original rationale behind the time limited gifts was to distinguish it from just a "spellbook as a gift" I dont' know if that's a *good* rationale, but that's why it's the way it is.

FWIW there is literally no difference between a perma-library gift and a spellbook nowadays, but I'm not sure that's important any more.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 28th October 2019, 05:32

I have proposed this before. Variants of the proposal also been proposed before IIRC.

Making the spell gifts overwrite the previous gifts is BS. With other gods, you don't lose old gifts when you get new ones, so why does Vehumet work this way?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st September 2021, 08:14

I just wanted to bump this thread again, since I'm currently playing a Gnome Hedge Wizard of Vehumet. A Gnome can't even overtrain spellcasting for spell slots. On my way to the final spell gits, I missed out on 3 different spell offers which I would have taken if I'd had the spell slots. I've also used every amnesia scroll I've found. Still hoping for a change here...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 1st September 2021, 12:36

Vehumet makes you think about prioritisation. which can be interesting in my opinion. You always have to think "I like this spell, but what will I feel like if I learn it and something better comes up afterwards?"
It is mildly frustrating when a spell comes up that I want but that I wouldn't be able to cast for quite a while into the future.

Would it be an idea if Vehm gifts have to be rejected before they disappear, but Vehm also refuses to offer a new spell as long as you're thinking about the old one?

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 9th September 2021, 08:26

Been done in Bcadren for months (just added directly to library instead of the silliness).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 13th September 2021, 15:37

petercordia wrote:Vehumet makes you think about prioritisation.

Kind of... sometimes... maybe? I always just take all the offered spells (for the same reason I always enter timed portals, even when I'm sure that I'm not yet prepared enough to survive them), even when I don't have enough available spell levels to memorize them when they're offered. I always manage to shuffle them in using amnesia scrolls on the highest-level spells that were offered in skills I'm not actively training, and then they go into my spell library. If they were just added directly into the spell library to begin with, it wouldn't make any practical difference to me, but would be a bit more convenient. Maybe other players' experiences are different, but if so, I wonder if they're just forgetting that amnesia scrolls are an option....

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 18th September 2021, 11:03

IMO spells offered by Vehumet and learned should not take up regular spell slots at all but should go in a separate list specifically for god gifts (which you would lose access to if you stopped worshipping Vehumet).

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks: 3
andrew, nago, runewalsh

Return to Game Design Discussion