Items's Integration and remove

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 21st October 2019, 08:28

Items's Integration and remove

duvessa wrote:Instead, if you want to retain DCSS's item system at all, you should look at how to reduce the number of items so that players don't reach the 52-item cap. Here are some possible starting points:

- Currently there are six direct damage wands, plus random effects, lightning rod, and lamp of fire. It would be fine to just have one of these.
- And there are five misc items that summon allies, plus scroll of summoning. There could just be one of these.
- The more different resistances and stats you offer on equipment, the more equipment gets lugged around for swapping. As a first step, you could get rid of rPois, rCorr, and rN on equipment without changing balance much at all. You ultimately need to go much further than that though, either by combatting swapping itself or removing all resistances and many other properties from equipment. (Even in a hypothetical with no resistances on equipment, a player should still carry, at a minimum, a set of equipment for fighting in, a set of equipment for spell success, and a set of a equipment for spell power.)
- Scrolls of noise, scrolls of random uselessness, and potions of degeneration only exist to make scrolls of identify less effective, but you could just generate fewer scrolls of identify. There also probably don't need to be eight buff potions (haste, might, brilliance, agility, invisibility, berserk rage, resistance, lignification), I mean at the very least the game did fine for ages before brilliance/agility/lignification were added.
- There's also a collection of scrolls with really small niches (torment, immolation, holy word, vulnerability, silence) whose absence would barely be noticeable, and several "escape" scrolls (blinking, teleportation, fear, fog, summoning again) when there could easily be fewer.
- There are 15 inventory slots worth of ammunition in the game. That's pretty goofy.

I strongly agree with this opinion. There are too many similar items in DCSS. I think it is necessary to integration or remove them to some extent. Below is an approximate design.

[Wand]
Remove: Acid, Clouds, Digging, Disintegration, Enslavement, Flame, Polymorph, Random effects, Scattershot
Maintenance: Iceblast, Paralysis
Add:
* Degeneration: Disintegration + Polymorph. To mutate and disintegration an enemy.
* Destruction: Random destruction effects(Acid, Clouds, Scattershot).
Results of changes: Degeneration, Destruction, Iceblast, Paralysis

[Miscellaneous]
Remove: Fan of gales, Lamp of fire, Sack of spiders
Maintenance: Rod of lightning, Figurine of Ziggurat, Phantom Mirror, Phial of floods
Change:
* Box of Beasts: At a 50% chance, a large number of spiders are called instead of beasts.
* Crystal ball of energy: Drain the magic of the enemy. Also, It is changed to a charging system. This effect is added instead of removing the silent scroll.
* Horn of Geryon: I think this should be changed or remove, but I have no idea.
Results of changes: Box of Beasts, Crystal ball of energy, Figurine of Ziggurat, Horn of Geryon, Rod of lightning, Phantom Mirror, Phial of floods

[Scroll]
Remove: Random uselessness, Silence, Summoning, Torment, Vulnerability
* Remove curse: Remove. If you take off the cursed equipment, drain it.
Maintenance: 14 kinds
Change:
* Fear: Vulnerability + Fear.
Results of changes: 14 kinds

[Potion]
Remove: Agility, Berserk rage, Brilliance, Degeneration, Flight, Haste, Invisibility, Might
Maintenance: 9 kinds
Change:
* Cancellation: Add low degeneration. It appears more.
Add:
* Wraith: Haste + Invisibility
* Augmentation: Agility + Brilliance + Might
Results of changes: 11 kinds

[Ammunition]
Remove: Arrow, Bolt, Silver boomerang, Sling bullet, Poison dart
Maintenance: 10 kinds
Change:
* Stone: It can no longer be used as a projectile for slings.
* Boomerang: The damage is slightly increased.
Add:
* Projectile: Arrow + Bolt + Sling bullet.
Results of changes: 11 kinds

This will remove 25 items. But this is a sloppy idea, and most will not be reflected. But in a similar way, we will certainly be able to remove many items.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 21st October 2019, 11:47

Re: Items's Integration and remove

From the old inventory thread:

Merge might, agility and brilliance into a single potion that is good for all character types.

Merge enchant armour and enchant weapon.

Give permanent flight to ring of flight, remove potion of flight. Have randarts and other equippables also always have permanent flight.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 21st October 2019, 17:51

I like the variety in the early game. It actually makes a difference whether you find scattershot or disintegration, might or haste, a ring or flight or potions of flight. This proposal would make all early games more similar to make the late game less tedious, which doesn't look like a good trade for me.
Scroll of vulnerability get a lot of hate, but they're super useful to a small number of characters. If everyone else can drop them and forget about them, that's ok right?
I think making sure certain items go obsolete is one way to make progress. Shtopit mentioned the option of giving permanent flight to ring of flight. After that you don't need to remove potions of flight, because end-game characters can remorselessly dump them. In the early game potions of flight still provide variety.
Wands of random effects and flamepuff are already things which go obsolete. I don't think anyone caries them around after Shoals. You could reasonably do something similar to the sacks of spiders, I think.

I do agree about removing Torment, HW, and silver ammunition (or removing plain Boomerangs). I can only remember one occasion on which I had fun using a scroll of HW.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 21st October 2019, 18:15

Not that I necessarily endorse the sentiment of the previous comment, but you can maintain the variety of early game possibilities while reducing late game item pressure by selecting a random set of items to exclude from generation at the beginning of the game. Not only does this maintain existing items that are problematic mainly in their relationship with other items, but it increases variation from game to game.
This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

For this message the author tealizard has received thanks: 7
bel, duvessa, Implojin, mgcat, petercordia, sdynet, Stairdancer

Return to Game Design Discussion