Collapse stones and bullets

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th October 2019, 16:55

Collapse stones and bullets

This came up in a reddit discussion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/ ... eneration/

Bullets and stones are both sling fodder, but since you can use (effectively unlimited) stones on regular combats and use bullets for harder combats, and since the difference between them is not large, and bullets aren't really especially rare, the distinction between the two is largely cosmetic, which makes swapping between the two, optimal, but tedious (and without any serious decision or strategy components, or any major impact). It's very tedious to swap all the time, especially compared to using any other launcher (throwing has it's own problems, but that's another battle)

I would advocate merging bullets and stones, making the new item do bullet-damage for all launchers, and be usable in sandblast, and throwable exactly like current stones (call it a "stone")

Also as an aside, I would also say that a hunting sling with bullets (or stones, actually) is a bit better than it should be for a D:1 weapon, and probably there should exist a lower-level sling that does, say 4 damage, has a base delay of 10 (min 5), an accuracy of +4 and fires this new stone, and that it should be the sling that stuff like goblins and kobolds get rather than hunting slings (where hunting slings start being common in the D:4-ish range)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 6
duvessa, Implojin, Majang, nago, sdynet, Styro

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th October 2019, 17:22

Re: Collapse stones and bullets

A slingshot?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 14th October 2019, 17:29

I really like the bullet/stone mechanic. It allows dedicated sling users to never run out of ammo whilst still keeping ammo conservation somewhat relevant. As you say, the difference is minor, so there's only really a need to switch if you see a truly dangerous enemy or if you're on an especially dangerous dungeon floor. To me this is no more tedious than looking at the available consumables or choosing the relevant spell.

I'd actually advocate expanding the stone/bullet system to crossbows, to allow crossbows to be used as a main weapon before Vaults. (It makes more thematic sense for crossbows than bows, and bows don't really have an ammo problem at any stage of the game.)

The problems you describe could be solved to some extend by reducing the sling-stone damage (whilst maintaining the fustibulus-stone damage).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th October 2019, 17:43

petercordia wrote:I really like the bullet/stone mechanic. It allows dedicated sling users to never run out of ammo whilst still keeping ammo conservation somewhat relevant. As you say, the difference is minor, so there's only really a need to switch if you see a truly dangerous enemy or if you're on an especially dangerous dungeon floor.

There is only a *need* to switch if the challenge difference is great, however it's *optimal* to decide on *every single shot* "Is it worth using a bullet or should I downgrade to a stone" because while not large, there *is* a difference, and it's always optimal to use a stone when a bullet is overkill (or just simply not needed because the threat level isn't high enough)

This is literally the least interesting of all possible decisions you could be forced to make on every single turn. Long term "ammo conservation" isn't an interesting concept preserve, particularly since there's other launchers to contrast it with which have no such long term tediousness-tax.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 5
duvessa, Implojin, nago, sdynet, TheMeInTeam

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th October 2019, 17:46

petercordia wrote:The problems you describe could be solved to some extend by reducing the sling-stone damage (whilst maintaining the fustibulus-stone damage).

Also I don't see how this solves the "it's tedious to constantly decide which type of ammo to use" problem (it does make the decision slightly more impactful, until you get a fustibulus, which is a really really weird dynamic at best)

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 15th October 2019, 14:55

I've already pull requested it in May.
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/pull/1066

For this message the author sdynet has received thanks:
nago

Return to Game Design Discussion