Information leaks in animations

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd October 2019, 18:25

Information leaks in animations

I will claim, without attempting proof, that disabling animations in your options shouldn't give you a gameplay disadvantage.

Currently it does.
This is most noticeable with the removal of blowguns. If one kobold in a pack of kobolds throws a poisoned dart at you, you want to know which kobold did it. The only way to get this information is to watch the animation.
Animations also tell you the position of invisible monsters, but this is less noticeable because you almost always know invisible monsters' positions anyway.

Therefore, I suggest the following changes:
1. If a monster has thrown something, show that information when you 'x' over that monster, either in the form of "a kobold, carrying 3 poisoned darts" or "a kobold (has thrown 2 poisoned darts)". The latter is better because it doesn't give additional information and doesn't promote constant 'x'ing to see how much ammo each monster has left, but I admit it's not consistent with how the game describes monsters' wands.
2. If an invisible monster fires/throws something, zaps a wand, or casts a spell, reveal its position as antennae/water do.

Are there any other leaks I missed? I haven't played with animations on for years and don't want to :P

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, Utis

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th October 2019, 03:14

Re: Information leaks in animations

I think it also shows the square that a monster disappeared from when it leaves the screen before you get a chance to see it (When you move to discover it and it moves offscreen before your turn) I may be mis-remembering that though.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th October 2019, 11:36

Re: Information leaks in animations

Spells aren't part of the problem; if you examine the detailed info on a monster, it will tell you what spells it might know based on what you've seen it cast.

Return to Game Design Discussion