Found potion of experience, skills went WAY up

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 18:23

Found potion of experience, skills went WAY up

Yesterday I started a game (0.9.1) and after a few moves found a potion of experience. It raised me to level 2, which makes sense, but then it also brought up a skills screen. That seemed rather unintuitive - why should I have to CHOOSE how much my various skills go up when I drink a potion? - but beyond that, my skills went up a LOT - maybe an average of 4 ranks apiece! Is this intentional, or are the potions rather overpowered?
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 19:34

Re: Found potion of experience, skills went WAY up

As far as I know its intentional, and its far from overpowered considering that when you normally find one your main skills rarely benefit from the increase. I think once you are at skill level 6 or so you can only expect to see 1 maybe 2 levels of a skill increase. I like using the exp potion skill points for skills that I wouldn't normally use but are useful like Evoc.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 19:37

Before the new skill system, potions and cards of experience filled your XP pool. With the new system, if we just train skills without asking anything, then it would be optimal to adjust your skill settings before quaff-iding or drawing from unknown decks. This is undesirable. That's why I coded this screen where you can choose which skill to raise.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 20:01

What if instead of prompting the player or using the allocation that the player had previously set, the potion just distributed the points equally among all known skills?
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 20:03

ekolis wrote:What if instead of prompting the player or using the allocation that the player had previously set, the potion just distributed the points equally among all known skills?

Because that won't have much of an effect until skill point fuzzing is fully in place.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Game Design Discussion