Early D monster spawn changes

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 5th July 2020, 18:26

Early D monster spawn changes

Recently a couple changes in early D monsters were comitted in Trunk. Now, Ufetubus and White Imps can spawn. I'm alright with the White Imps, since they have the hard hitting ranged attack, making retreats potentially dangerous. However Ufetubus are very popcorny even on D:4.

Please, let the trend be to removal of popcorn instead of adding even more.

(and can we finally get rid of hungry ghosts?)

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 5th July 2020, 19:06

Re: Early D monster spawn changes

The new monsters replace crimson imp weight, so total popcorn is at worst unchanged in their spawn range. Would love to see a more thorough overhaul of spawn tables though.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 6th July 2020, 02:18

Anyway, they're certainly less (or at least no more) popcorny on D:4 than they are later on.

For this message the author andrew has received thanks:
Majang

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2020, 10:51

Crimson Imps were not just popcorn, they were annoying popcorn. Their blink also made them not a threat at all since they constantly give you free opportunities to disengage.

Basically, it was a grueling task to deal with them with characters that couldn't reliably out-DPS their regen. Especially for meh-damage melee characters

I often found myself just parking them on higher D levels so I didn't have to deal with them.

For this message the author Pereza0 has received thanks:
andrew

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2020, 07:19

Crimson imp were absolutely worse popcorn than Ufetubus: they were an xp pinata which posed 0 threat - unless they had a strong wand or whatever - and were extremely easy to disengage.
Virtually every char should have spent tedious time to kill them for their huge xp gain.

Ufetubus are pretty much popcorn as imp but at least don't provide so much free experience and cheap disengage\tactics.

However I agree there was no big reason to had another popcorn monster instead of spreading their spawn rate on something else - or just white imp.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
duvessa

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th July 2020, 07:45

Is popcorn defined by maxhp or by risk-reward ratio? I think hydras, rats and bats are xp piñatas.
In Ziggurat:27 born and raised, on the Zot stairs where I spent most of my days chilling out maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-breath outside of lungs. When a couple CK - they were up to no good - started makin trouble in my neighbourhood!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th July 2020, 17:36

FakerFangirl wrote:Is popcorn defined by maxhp or by risk-reward ratio? I think hydras, rats and bats are xp piñatas.

I've always interpreted popcorn as "something that poses no risk at all, and confers little to no benefit for killing, aka something that merely slows down gameplay, with no productive in-game impact"
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th July 2020, 00:59

I think most people just mean something that's trivial to kill, though XP is also part of it.

Shmup players call lots of little weak enemies popcorn, because of the constant popping noise from them all exploding as they fly onscreen into your bullets. I wonder if there's an etymological link between oldschool shmup vocabulary and oldschool RL vocabulary.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Return to Game Design Discussion