Some feedback on the simpler stuff

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 24th August 2019, 15:40

Some feedback on the simpler stuff

I love all the development improvements that the gameplay has been getting over the years! So, satisfied with that, my attention goes to some of the simpler UI stuff:

1. When you mouse over an item, it gives you a description of it (telling you +2 dagger for instance so you don't have to press x and then press up, down, left, right to move over to it and get the info).

Why not the same for enemies? When you're facing a mob of orcs, and you wanna see which are wearing armor, and which are not, and if any have branded weapons, why can't you just hover over them for information? Instead you have to press x, and tediously use the arrows, maybe do it repeatedly as they start to surround you and more show up.

2. When standing over a one carryable item and a bunch of corpses, it would be nice if "," brought up a menu rather than just having you pick up the one carryable item. So it ought to behave just the same as when you're standing over multiple carryable items. When on top of pile, you expect "," to give you info of what's in that pile but not yet commit you to spending an action to pick something up. It should be the same if it's one carryable item and a bunch of corpses, the burden should not be on the player to notice that the pile is all corpses except for the one item.

3. I've long wished that the game notified you when you gain spell levels (maybe in blue text like most spell level-related stuff). It's just so annoying to stumble into a combat and then realize after that combat (or after you died), "Oh wait, maybe I had enough spell levels to have memorized another spell before I walked into that combat. I forgot cuz it's excessive to be constantly pressing M to check on how many spell levels I have. But you have to because the game doesn't notify you of it, and it seems to happen sometimes even other than when you gain an XP level."

Granted, it would feel like unnecessary info, for like a race/class that totally is not going to use spells, especially in the early game. So maybe that info could only come up when you have actually have spells in your library?

Thanks, I would love if these things got implemented!

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 24th August 2019, 18:00

Re: Some feedback on the simpler stuff

I play offline tiles, and your 1) and 2) have already been implemented. As for the spell slots, I generally use % rather than M, it gives me more information. ;)
There is always something new to learn.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 24th August 2019, 18:45

FYI you gain spell levels for each experience level and for each half-level of Spellcasting.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 24th August 2019, 18:51

2 can be toggled via your options file

For 3, you gain a spellevel fit every .5 points of spellcasting. If it's really important to learn a new spell asap, you can train pure spellcasting and use a skill target (with "). That way you'll be notified when the spell levels are available.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 24th August 2019, 21:16

Ok, I play online tiles.

Having discovered that 1 and 2 can be toggled, I see no reason not to modify the goal of my post into saying that these settings should be changed to the default settings for the game. I can't imagine the point of view someone could have in wanting 1)to not be able to see monster equipment through simple mouse-over, and 2)to want the pickup of an item with many corpses underneath to be treated as a lone item instead of a stack, when its tile is that of a stack, as if the pickup menu would really be a hassle that they would notice. It's more of a hassle that people will walk onto a stack (that shows the white diagonal lines in the upper right) will press "," and then pick up an item instantly, wasting a key action, when they thought a menu would just pop up. I dunno about you but I'm not about to develop a habit of always looking down to the log after stepping on a stack, noticing that it appears as (††††, and then thinking "Oh hey it's just one item and corpses, so it's not really a stack."

These clearly don't seem like the kinds of things where 50% of the people would prefer it one way and 50% the other, they seem more like maybe 90%/10% and for some reason the game is defaulted to how 10% might prefer it. So, I respect any preference those 10% may have but it would make sense for them to have to go into the long options menu and set things to an alternative.

I mean, I'm having a difficult time figuring out where and even how to toggle these options. I'm by no means a new player, and it speaks to the fact that compared to most games the options menus here are seriously long and cryptic. Which is not my complaint, I see why they should be long for the people who love to adjust tons of things.

But I absolutely think that these issues shouldn't be seen as resolved because they can be toggled someplace somewhere in the options. It is seriously hard to figure out what most of the commands in there are referring to... so if some clearly better options are not the default ones, then it's a serious design request to request that they get changed to them. And it's a lot worse if these options can't be adjusted in online tiles, but merely in offline tiles.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 25th August 2019, 07:56

In online tiles you can also toggle these things.
Somewhere on your tiles server there will be a link "rcfile". It also took me a while to find.
Being able to change the options in-game works be really nice, but I imagine it could be hard to implement.
I actually prefer the current pickup behaviour, except when playing a necromancer. (Because necromancers sometimes press , to examine corpses, and then I'd accidentally pick up something)

Return to Game Design Discussion