New item: Pebbles

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2019, 19:04

New item: Pebbles

I propose a new item: pebbles. They are like stones, except that they do no damage. Their only effect is to wake up monsters/draw their attention to you. Let every player start with 15 of them in their inventory. But otherwise make them extremely rare.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2019, 19:06

Re: New item: Pebbles

Why?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2019, 19:06

I don't see how this adds anything meaningful beyond stones; this is what stones already do for 99% of the game, and throwing stones on D:1 isn't typically a significant proportion of damage even then.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2019, 19:10

Siegurt wrote:Why?

Sorry, should have stated the reason in the first place: So I don't have to press . several times on D:1 until a monster wakes up before I found the first stack of stones.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2019, 19:17

Utis wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Why?

Sorry, should have stated the reason in the first place: So I don't have to press . several times on D:1 until a monster wakes up before I found the first stack of stones.

Why not just suggest everyone starts with some stones then? You could even leave them starting on felids just to mock them.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2019, 19:24

TheMeInTeam wrote:Why not just suggest everyone starts with some stones then? You could even leave them starting on felids just to mock them.

Stones are actually a formidable weapon on D:1, I didn't want to suggest to make the very start of the game safer. Anyways, I don't know myself how serious I am about this. I am always a bit annoyed until I find stones and I just right now I had a first level where I got them very late.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2019, 20:44

New unique, Barney Rubble

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks:
Utis

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 15th August 2019, 00:35

t t solves the problem, and it's unlimited.. just shout and make noise.. it's even an easy two key press without needing to target anything. Most cases if you were to silently wake up a target, it won't matter anyhow because once it's awake the target will make noise waking the other stuff around it.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 15th August 2019, 15:57

svendre wrote:t t solves the problem, and it's unlimited.. just shout and make noise.. it's even an easy two key press without needing to target anything. Most cases if you were to silently wake up a target, it won't matter anyhow because once it's awake the target will make noise waking the other stuff around it.

Technically, this is somewhat less desirable since other monsters making noise will draw enemies there first, rather than to your position. Yelling yourself is also more likely to pull things from directions immediately to your sides relative to enemy position, compared to monster making the noise. If you're trying to lure isolated enemies this is somewhat inferior to stone toss/magic dart/waiting for senpai to notice.

For this message the author TheMeInTeam has received thanks:
Utis

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 17th August 2019, 00:06

TheMeInTeam wrote:
svendre wrote:t t solves the problem, and it's unlimited.. just shout and make noise.. it's even an easy two key press without needing to target anything. Most cases if you were to silently wake up a target, it won't matter anyhow because once it's awake the target will make noise waking the other stuff around it.

Technically, this is somewhat less desirable since other monsters making noise will draw enemies there first, rather than to your position. Yelling yourself is also more likely to pull things from directions immediately to your sides relative to enemy position, compared to monster making the noise. If you're trying to lure isolated enemies this is somewhat inferior to stone toss/magic dart/waiting for senpai to notice.

Well, yeah, I can't refute any of that. I just think pebbles are silly. Aren't there already enough stones and darts and arrows and bolts and other crap to throw already? If you want to play that way, you can for most of the game. Luring is already too overpowered anyhow.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 20th August 2019, 15:41

Well, I'm not exactly advocating the pebbles :p.

Return to Game Design Discussion