Race suggestion

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 18:49

Race suggestion

I'm wondering what you think about this suggestion. I welcome feedback/constructive criticism. I think this race could be interesting to play if properly balanced. The idea is a race which encourages/mandates mutation

Name:
Mutant/Changeling/something else?

Distinguishing Characteristics:
Start with 3 bad mutations.

I decided on this because you can't start with any good mutations or it will be scummed to death. Also, early bad mutations is an interesting situation you are unlikely to encounter otherwise. They should be chosen such that each possible set of mutations is about as bad as any other. (Str-1, Dex-1, Int-1 shouldn't be possible for example since its too weak and someone might scum for this kind of start)

On level up:
(your new level + 3)% replace one bad mutation with a good mutation
(rest of the time) gain a random mutation

This scales from unlikely to more likely as you get closer to 27. It should be difficult to scum since the "good" effect is less likely at low levels. Also you will tend towards a better mutation set over time.

Other ideas:
Since your body is suceptible to mutation, sources of resist mutation can be 50% effective on the race. It will still be a good idea to wear it against known mutaters, but its protection will be less effective.

There can be a 10% chance that the mutations gained on level-up are permanent.

At level 27 all mutations become permenant (This might be problematic if it encourages draining yourself at level 26 until you have a really awsome set of mutations, however) Maybe instead it happens at a random level above 20?

Aptitudes:
140 exp (same as a naga)
Very good at transmutations
Bad at conjurations, elemental magic, enchanting
Average at fighting/weapons, but +1 at least to unarmed combat

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 19:31

Re: Race suggestion

Sorry, but this sounds like the most tedious race ever, and I can't really see what it adds to the game that Demonspawn don't already bring.
Just a well-spoken spambot.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 19:37

On mutation races generally, demonspawn already have this niche, and draconians to a lesser extent.
On comparison with demonspawn, they look weaker and less coordinated, sort of like old demonspawn but with bad mutations too.
On tons of mutations, go Xom or Jiyva.
On starting with random bad mutations, scumming is still optimal, as mutations' badness depend heavily on character; e.g. a wizard would prefer berserkitis highly over -10%MP, and a fighter the converse.

On being unarmed/tmut, sludge elves and merfolk already have this covered; furthermore, trolls and minotaurs have further covering of unarmed, while spriggans have tmut.

I have more to say but I must leave now so I'll write it later.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 21:04

There's a fundamental difference between demonspawn and this proposal. All of demonspawn's mutations are permanent and good. I think its a valid point that these races should be different and maybe we can remove the chance of permenant mutations and make them all standard mutations.

It is a little similar to Jivya in that regard, but you can't worship Jivya from the start and Jivya has other distinguishing features (slimes, stat shuffling, item rarity etc.)

I'm not sure what you consider "tedious" about the proposal. If you think you'll end up with too many bad mutations it can be balanced by messing with the probabilities of good/bad/random mutations pretty easily.

Alot of players are afraid to "ruin" their character and avoid mutations completely or as much as possible. The goal is to turn that on its head.

What about removing the chance for permanent mutations and instead making it so that mutations from any source (including gods!) are weighted more heavily towards positive mutations?

Return to Game Design Discussion