Refine DCSS

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 31st July 2019, 23:48

Refine DCSS

1: Remove the Fighting Skill.

2: Remove Conjurations School of magic and move Orb of Destruction to Necromancy.

3: Remove the Charms school and move spells to their respective schools, for example Regeneration to Necromancy and Spectral Weapon to Hexes.

4: Combine Spellcasting and Invocations into one skill.

I feel these changes would make for a more streamlined version of DCSS and would be good changes overall to the balance of the game.

For this message the author Oroborous has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Hellmonk, VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 1st August 2019, 01:07

Re: Refine DCSS

Why would you put orb of destruction in necromancy when the design is obviously an Earth spell?

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 1st August 2019, 01:34

Hellmonk wrote:Why would you put orb of destruction in necromancy when the design is obviously an Earth spell?

I didn't realize it was an Earth spell. Also Earth already has Iron Shot and Crystal Spear while Necromancy is weak in the projectile department.

For this message the author Oroborous has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 1st August 2019, 01:43

Orb of destruction is a spell that does damage and only checks AC, not resistances or MR. Right now, earth damage spells and "pure" conjurations both tend to do this whereas other damage schools do not, so it makes sense to move orb to earth magic if you're going to cut conjurations as a spell school. Necromancy not having projectiles seems fine to me. Spell schools should be different from each other. In fact I think it'd be good to remove bolt of draining and move vile clutch out of necromancy.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 1st August 2019, 08:19

Oroborous wrote:1: Remove the Fighting Skill.

2: Remove Conjurations School of magic and move Orb of Destruction to Necromancy.

3: Remove the Charms school and move spells to their respective schools, for example Regeneration to Necromancy and Spectral Weapon to Hexes.

4: Combine Spellcasting and Invocations into one skill.

I feel these changes would make for a more streamlined version of DCSS and would be good changes overall to the balance of the game.

So, you're advertising a fork in advance? That's shrewd. Will disc of storms be reinstated?
There is always something new to learn.

For this message the author Sorcerous has received thanks:
Airwolf

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st August 2019, 14:31

Hellmonk wrote:Orb of destruction is a spell that does damage and only checks AC, not resistances or MR. Right now, earth damage spells and "pure" conjurations both tend to do this whereas other damage schools do not, so it makes sense to move orb to earth magic if you're going to cut conjurations as a spell school. Necromancy not having projectiles seems fine to me. Spell schools should be different from each other. In fact I think it'd be good to remove bolt of draining and move vile clutch out of necromancy.

Plus you could reflavor it as that rolling boulder from the indiana jones movie...
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st August 2019, 23:29

Oroborous wrote:I feel these changes would make for a more streamlined version of DCSS

Sure, and personally I don't want DCSS to be any more streamlined.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 2nd August 2019, 14:36

Regarding spell schools, I'd prefer the opposite: remove all elemental schools and group spells by function (leaving only conjurations for damage, charms for buffs, hexes for debuffs, summoning for ally creation, translocations for movement).

Then decrease book generation rate and/or cap the number the number of spells that can generate in a game: it's fun when your fire elementalist has to face Azrael, but you can get the same thing if the only level > 4 damage spell to generate was a fire spell.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 4th August 2019, 06:49

phloomp wrote:Regarding spell schools, I'd prefer the opposite: remove all elemental schools and group spells by function (leaving only conjurations for damage, charms for buffs, hexes for debuffs, summoning for ally creation, translocations for movement).

I think this goes too far. The many flavors of elemental damage are pretty interesting. Even if people do rely too heavily on non-elemental direct damage spells already.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 4th August 2019, 23:42

sardonica wrote:
phloomp wrote:Regarding spell schools, I'd prefer the opposite: remove all elemental schools and group spells by function (leaving only conjurations for damage, charms for buffs, hexes for debuffs, summoning for ally creation, translocations for movement).

I think this goes too far. The many flavors of elemental damage are pretty interesting. Even if people do rely too heavily on non-elemental direct damage spells already.

Well, removal of the school doesn't *require* that you also make all the spells nonelemental.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 9th August 2019, 01:59

This is a lot of crazy for a single thread!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 10th August 2019, 21:01

sardonica wrote:I think this goes too far. The many flavors of elemental damage are pretty interesting.
I don't really think "the same as non-elemental damage except sometimes there's an enemy it doesn't work on so you end up using non-elemental damage anyways" is that interesting.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
nago

Return to Game Design Discussion