Naive Questions

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 20th May 2019, 09:56

Naive Questions

I'm fairly new to stone soup, but have been gaming for 40 years, and am wondering how two or three things fit in with the stone soup philosophy:
- is there a compelling reason why fire and cold resistance is apparently stackable but not poison or electricity? This seems quite unique to stone soup
- similarly, apparently there used to be a player spell from the charm school which enable the curing of poison, but was removed. Why was that deemed necessary?
I'd like to understand these decisions better before making further contributions, thank you in advance.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 20th May 2019, 12:22

Re: Naive Questions

Developers can give you better reasons then me (or some other random posters here), but here I my answers anyway:

1. I do not think there is any reason behind some resistances being 3 levels and others only 1. Poison resistance is not very important even with 1 level, so 3 would be even more strange. Otherwise having only 1 level of every resistance had been proposed, and seems to be better from a game design standpoint, as otherwise you are encouraged to carry more rarely useful items to swap. (Although some people argues that removing resistances all together would be more sensible from a game design perspective.)

I think the 3 levels are mostly heritage. Resistances are not very important or a big part of crawl in any case, I guess nobody cares enough to rebalance them to something better.

2. I guess cure poison had been removed because it was mostly useless, and since poison status is not a big threat anyway there is no need to have even more ways to get rid of it and make it even more trivial.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 20th May 2019, 23:09

onomastikon wrote:I'm fairly new to stone soup, but have been gaming for 40 years, and am wondering how two or three things fit in with the stone soup philosophy:
- is there a compelling reason why fire and cold resistance is apparently stackable but not poison or electricity? This seems quite unique to stone soup.

Not really. Plenty of other games have different elements and their resistances behave differently.

I'm glad Crawl isn't one of those JRPGs where the spells are all named like Fire 1, Cold 1, Poison 1, Dark 1, Fire 2, Cold 3, etc, and the only difference between them is which enemies have which resistances.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 21st May 2019, 00:27

- similarly, apparently there used to be a player spell from the charm school which enable the curing of poison, but was removed. Why was that deemed necessary?

Here's the commit in question:
  Code:
commit c635424f1d444f85316c0fc5a4b62e1c64b02df6
Author: Emily <emilazy@users.noreply.github.com>
Date:   Thu Jun 23 20:40:47 2016 +0100

Remove Cure Poison

Now that OTR no longer poisons the caster, there is no reason to keep
    around this spell that merely duplicates a common consumable. Also,
    fewer weird TSO/Vp special cases is always nice.

Alistair's Intoxication replaces the spell in the VM starting book, and
    the Book of Envenomations is removed.

Trivia: This was the last player-castable vestige of the pre-Stone Soup
    holy spell school. RIP ;_;7

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 24th May 2019, 10:43

onomastikon wrote:I'm fairly new to stone soup, but have been gaming for 40 years, and am wondering how two or three things fit in with the stone soup philosophy:
- is there a compelling reason why fire and cold resistance is apparently stackable but not poison or electricity? This seems quite unique to stone soup

FWIW, it's not, even in roguelikes; in Angband the elemental resistances stack, taking 1/3 damage if you have the resistance on equipment or from a temporary effect like a spell or consumable, and 1/9 if you have both equipment and temporary resistance, but the other resistances (which typically do more in the way of status effects and less outright damage) do not - additionally, one can become immune to some elemental attacks altogether.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Return to Game Design Discussion