Item creep

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 17:19

Item creep

I've noticed in recent versions that there are a lot of new items in the game - scrolls of curse jewellery and amnesia, more kinds of branded ammunition, etc. If you actually use a missile weapon, and esp. if you worship Trog or Okawaru, you can end up with a lot of slots filled with projectiles, for instance.

However, the number of slots in the inventory has not changed. I also find the "stashing" aspect of the game somewhat tedious, though I realize allowing players to carry everything with them is not attractive either.

So I was wondering if there could be a mechanic added where smaller items like rings, potions, jewellery could be stored in a satchel that would take a single inventory slot?

I checked the "won't do" list and this is not on there. I didn't have time to read all 3,000 bad ideas.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 17:31

Re: Item creep

danr wrote:I've noticed in recent versions that there are a lot of new items in the game - scrolls of curse jewellery and amnesia, more kinds of branded ammunition, etc. If you actually use a missile weapon, and esp. if you worship Trog or Okawaru, you can end up with a lot of slots filled with projectiles, for instance.

Yes, we should probably start removing items, just as we did with other things. For ammunition, however, we introduced auto-combining, which made matters much better.

danr wrote:So I was wondering if there could be a mechanic added where smaller items like rings, potions, jewellery could be stored in a satchel that would take a single inventory slot?

No! There won't be containers, at least not with this devteam. Containers are bad, and like a contagious plague. They provide evil interface and turn an interesting choice (what to carry?) into nothingness.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 17:37

While I agree that there is definitely item creep, and I'd love to see about 10 items do the way of the dodo (scrolls of curse armor, weapon, jewelry, random uselessness, blank, amnesia, among others), I sort of do like the 26-item limit as it forces you to not be a packrat. I used to rue the limit, but now I vigilantly drop items I know I wont use (wands of frost, flame, random effects, magic dart, scroll of detect curse, etc).

Games without an item limit lead to unreal hoarding of stuff you dont know you dont need ... ADOM being a prime example where once you can cast strength of atlas, you really never need to drop anything ever. I think packratting is evil, but at the same time, I think the game could go through steps to eliminate some of the crufty clutter that gets generated in the game, especially useless items, or very niche-use items.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 18:24

get rid of all of those redundant fruit types that don't stack with each other, for one thing

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 19:52

Yeah, food items would be a good place to eliminate varieties. I now just eat everything except one type of instafood. It's nice to have one kind of food that only takes one turn to eat (so you can berserk).

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 19:57

At some point I proposed to get of fruits and pizzas and earned an overwhelming No. Consider it as impossible. (I then went on to support the plant god, so that the fruits are now good for something.)

There won't be containers of any type. https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:planning:wont_do

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 22:34

Fruit generally is good for Fedhas but having a stack of apples and a stack of pears and a stack of oranges and a stack of chokos and a stack of grapes and a stack of rambutans and a stack of sultanas and more stacks for anything I forgot is pretty silly. At most, I'd say, have a single stack for small fruits (lightweight, come in big bunches, make good oklobs) and another for larger fruits (better eating).
Could merge beef jerky and sausages too.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 23:00

I rather like all the types of food & fruit. They add flavor. This is important.

I am never relying on small fruits and such by the time inventory slot space becomes an issue anyhow.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 01:44

cyborgemu, you could have flavour text while eating fruits, like with cheese and pizza (there aren't any items for yak cheese or supreme pizza but you can get those when eating them). Additionally, are you supposed to turn off fruit autopickup at midgame if not worshiping fedhas (in which case you're screwed) to avoid inventory clutter?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 10:24

I like fruits too. You don't have to remove them from autopickup, when you run out of inventory slots, just eat them. I don't think new items increase the inventory management problem (especially the useless ones listed by moose), it just gives you more choice.

One feature could help: sort items by the last time it has been used.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 10:36

There's way too much food generally anyway, I just eat everything that's not a ration, honeycomb or jelly as soon as I find it to save the clutter.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 17:53

Yeah, I'm taking the same approach as Marvin with food.

I just noticed that Amulets and rings are listed together. I'd find it easier if they were listed separately, or even if the amulets just came first in the jewellery section.

Another idea: The inventory could be divided into separate tabs, like the spellcasting / memorization tabs. One for quick items (potions, scrolls, wands, jewellery, weapons) and one for items that take a while to do something with (spellbooks, armour). I dunno, just brainstorming.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 19:20

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:There's way too much food generally anyway,

QFT. Last game I had something like 40 or so honeycombs among a bunch of other food. I would have died of a old age before my character would starve in that dungeon.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 19:29

Food is scarcest in the early game. Perhaps still too much, or just the right amount, but that's the only part of the game where food is an issue for me. Later on in the game I invariably have drops of 5-6 rations all over the place because they are weighing me down.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 20:13

But you have to keep in mind Fedhas worshippers and herbivores generally need the food more than everyone else.

Return to Game Design Discussion