Eleven Hauls too early?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 7th April 2019, 14:31

Eleven Hauls too early?

I have had many of my runs ended after I explored the Elven hauls. It appears to the player soo early game. It is such an arbitrary difficulty curve in most of my runs. I really do wonder if it would be better off in a floor of the Depths to be honest.

PS
I have only beaten this game once as Vine Stalker after playing for 500 hours.

For this message the author HawkI has received thanks:
duvessa

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 7th April 2019, 17:03

Re: Eleven Hauls too early?

You don't have to explore everything when you find it :)
I like having Elves available after Orcs. Sometimes a character is stuck in all the rune branches and D, and the best path forward is to do Elves. Part of the game is learning when to switch branch.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 7th April 2019, 17:18

After all, you have Jelly in Lair, and Hell in Depths. Elf is somehow deceiving in that it is doable, but very dangerous around lvl 15-16. Leaving it for later is an important thing to learn. A signal is the kind of timed portals that appear in it. IIRC, it's something like Salt and Wizlab, so stuff you would find in Vaults.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 7th April 2019, 23:31

Yeah but slime shouldn't be at the bottom of lair either. Elf and Slime should be on D15.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 8th April 2019, 01:25

If you want to put branches in the technically optimal order, sbranches need to be below orc, slime needs to be in depths somewhere, elf needs to be in vaults or later, and orc needs to always show up after lair. You could also put conditional warnings on the branches; "really enter elf with no runes," "really enter slime before 2 runes," etc, if you want a soft prohibition on incorrect branch order.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 4
duvessa, HawkI, nago, sdynet

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th April 2019, 07:32

Hellmonk wrote:and orc needs to always show up after lair

Not for venom mages imo.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
petercordia

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 8th April 2019, 13:31

The difference and confusing thing about the Elven haul is that, when you press } to see the rune list, it doesn't show up. This makes the player feel it is safe to enter. I love the conditional warnings on the branches idea.

For this message the author HawkI has received thanks:
nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 9th April 2019, 15:37

Sprucery wrote:
Hellmonk wrote:and orc needs to always show up after lair

Not for venom mages imo.

O:1 can still spawn stone giant or ogre magi or even a warlord with a crossbow who are quite deadly for a squishy mage.
Or just the risk of sorceror paralysis or of a warg.
I wouldn't try it early on even with a VM.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 9th April 2019, 18:17

I would. Methic Cloud is super strong in Orc. If there's something strong you can always run away and come back later. (so long as you have enough hp not to be 1-shot.)

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 9th April 2019, 18:48

petercordia wrote:I would. Methic Cloud is super strong in Orc. If there's something strong you can always run away and come back later. (so long as you have enough hp not to be 1-shot.)

It's pretty dangerous to run away and come back in orc that has sorcerers. I've had many a promising character die to paralysis from being overconfident in orc. That being said, lair can be dangerous as well, mostly due to hydras and giant packs of bees, blink frogs, etc.

I choose to do orc or lair first based on my character and gear, I don't think there is a hard and fast which one is easier. You want rPois and more AC for lair, you want more resists and MR for orc. Poison weapons and spells help greatly in orc, they don't as much in lair. Freezing and flame are good in lair... etc. etc.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th April 2019, 23:09

nago wrote:O:1 can still spawn stone giant or ogre magi or even a warlord with a crossbow who are quite deadly for a squishy mage.
Or just the risk of sorceror paralysis or of a warg.
I wouldn't try it early on even with a VM.

It's still better than Lair which will definitely spawn spiny frogs and black mambas. Yes, you'll have to be careful but mephitic cloud will solve most problems for you. I always go to Orc first (after D:11) as a VM.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Game Design Discussion