engorged

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 29th March 2019, 09:54

engorged

What if there was a slight penalty for being engorged (as opposed to Very Full); -2 Dex or Slow? I think it might make it more interesting, but it also might just be annoying.
Also, am I the only one who misses the different types of food as opposed to generic rations? Anyone up for some Pandemonium Pizza?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th March 2019, 10:50

Re: engorged

Please no. Do you really want to check satiation level every time you eat with gourmand or as troll?
Eating is wasted time and key presses, let's not make it worse.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
nago, stormdragon

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 29th March 2019, 11:09

Come on, man. How about a slice of Pandemonium Pizza??? ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :) :) :|
This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th March 2019, 12:13

There are many games about preparing/eating pizza, I even remember playing one in previous century. Go play them instead :)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th March 2019, 12:31

I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 3
Ge0ff, PseudoLoneWolf, Rast

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 29th March 2019, 18:22

sorry, but if food is to be part of the game, my preference is for a little more complexity rather than less. Also, it makes sense to me that if you are engorged you don't move as quickly or as dexterously. Just my humble opinion.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 29th March 2019, 18:41

If you're engorged, you can hit 5 until you aren't engorged anymore. And you can always... not eat until engorged. There's no reason to do it except "I'm wearing gourmand and it is convenient to eat all the chunks." It's not like you're gonna be cramming down rations in dangerous areas.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
nago

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 29th March 2019, 20:09

Yeah. Basically "this would technically make sense from a realism perspective, but adds nothing to the game except the tedium of avoiding it". It also somewhat nerfs gourmand, and the only point of gourmand is to make food less tedious. Realistic =/= fun.

For this message the author Tumalu has received thanks: 3
nago, sdynet, VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 29th March 2019, 21:47

goldify food and remove every food status

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 3
johlstei, nago, tasonir

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th March 2019, 06:11

Tumalu wrote:Yeah. Basically "this would technically make sense from a realism perspective, but adds nothing to the game except the tedium of avoiding it". It also somewhat nerfs gourmand, and the only point of gourmand is to make food less tedious. Realistic =/= fun.
Really true. When I try a new RPG game and see that it has food/sleep, I switch to another RPG game. People usually play RPG games to do something else than what they do IRL every day.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 30th March 2019, 12:03

There are a few main reasons why food exists in the game.
1. To introduce a soft timer into the game. The clock is slowly ticking, and when you run out of food, you die.
2. To limit overuse of spells and abilities (like berserk)

The food is not there because it's realistic for living beings to require nutrients on a regular basis to survive.

Also, am I the only one who misses the different types of food as opposed to generic rations?

Having a variety of food types gives the game more flavor (pun intended), but at what cost? Infinitely more annoying inventory management.

For this message the author Scuka has received thanks:
nago

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 30th March 2019, 12:22

You could also solve the inventory management another way :P

Until that is done, I am really happy there is only one type of food.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 30th March 2019, 16:44

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Tumalu wrote:Yeah. Basically "this would technically make sense from a realism perspective, but adds nothing to the game except the tedium of avoiding it". It also somewhat nerfs gourmand, and the only point of gourmand is to make food less tedious. Realistic =/= fun.
Really true. When I try a new RPG game and see that it has food/sleep, I switch to another RPG game. People usually play RPG games to do something else than what they do IRL every day.

One of my favorite RPG games is based around survival and the need for food and sleep.
http://www.unrealworld.fi/

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 1st April 2019, 19:42

Unreal world is awesome but its "focus" is about survival, exploring etc.
Food is a fondumental aspect in game like that (the fact that in unreal world that part is interesting and balanced way game play-wise is only a plus).

Dcss "game play" has nothing to do with food, it is only a timer that does almost nothing. Removing it abruptly would change almost nothing.

BTW unreal world isn't the only game where food has a sense, E. G. neo scavenger is another game where it works well
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Return to Game Design Discussion