DCSS on NINTENDO SWITCH?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 26th March 2019, 12:50

DCSS on NINTENDO SWITCH?

So this is the big question!

Hi, everyone, crawlers and developers!
We have an open source classic roguelike legend game and nobody compiling it for nintendo switch yet? :?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th March 2019, 13:24

Re: DCSS on NINTENDO SWITCH?

In the past there've been two main barriers to things like this:

• Licensing barriers that are not compatible with GPL software. This is why an ios release can't exist right now even though it was (iirc) once ported, and one of the issues with steam (though it doesn't prevent a release, just integration with certain steam libraries). What's the state of this for nintendo?
  • Developer time/expertise. The android port has been limited because the only devteam member who knew anything about android development retired, no one else has any expertise whatsoever, and though there are some community members who will let us know when things break, we haven't gotten a lot in the way of community patches for android. AFAIK we're in the same position for switch - no current devs (or regular community contributors that I know of) have any expertise with nintendo development. My impression is that nintendo dev expertise has at least historically been a pretty specialized expertise that wasn't trivial to gain, though maybe switch is more open?

The second barrier does entail a third problem: we generally worry that expectations for support, ui, etc. in storefronts like this might be higher than we can really be sure of supporting as an all-volunteer non-monetized team...

Anyways, if licensing isn't an issue and someone contributed a patch, we would definitely consider merging it. To merge it I think we'd also want some kind of plan to avoid it immediately descending into the state that the android port is now, where it's a part of the code but isn't maintained, and we get regular bug reports we can't do anything about.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 26th March 2019, 17:21

Crawl's UI does not seem like something that would work very well on a console. It'd be hard to play well without a keyboard, I think.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 26th March 2019, 17:33

njvack wrote:Crawl's UI does not seem like something that would work very well on a console. It'd be hard to play well without a keyboard, I think.

I wonder. If you nested menu/inputs so that same button presses could be used for multiple things I'd imagine it would be possible to play relatively quickly. Slower than keyboard, but at a level a speedrunner could still do sub-hour easily. I think the worst thing would actually be manual diagonal movements, though it depends on how sensitive it would be detecting cardinal vs them.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 27th March 2019, 16:52

Return to Game Design Discussion