New Unrandart Proposal: the Fustibalus of Zhor

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th March 2019, 07:55

New Unrandart Proposal: the Fustibalus of Zhor

The +8 Fustibalus of Zhor {Holy Wrath, +1 to sight, 4-tile halo}

Zhor was a great hunt-leader of the nomads from the Sea of Ice. Sometimes, during the long winter darkness, he left his tent and went hunting, alone; the light of his weapon would then drive the night away, and people in the camp could see him far away, shimmering like a remote star on the glistening ice. During one of his hunts, he was attacked by the greatest of frost giants. Zhor fought hard and won, but the giant's immense body fell and shattered the ice where he stood, and Zhor was lost forever to the freezing waters of the ocean below.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 3
MisterPersonMan, PseudoLoneWolf, Sorcerous

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th March 2019, 16:04

Re: New Unrandart Proposal: the Fustibalus of Zhor

These sort of properties shouldn't be on weapons because weapons are so fast to swap. Including LOS manipulation, resistances, etc. on weapons is just making every character carry the weapon to swap to and from, even if they aren't actually going to attack with it.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 25th March 2019, 16:12

I don't think many builds will want to swap to INCREASE LoS, which is usually considered bad rather than good.

That said, I don't see the issue with weapon swaps. You can do this with jewelry too, but with weapons it comes with a downside that if it isn't an otherwise good weapon your physical attacks are compromised. Mages can wield them as stat/resistance sticks, but these have to compete with enhancer staves (which also increase resistance anyway).

As such carrying an otherwise mediocre weapon and swapping it for resists is questionable/situational, unless you're running an oka thrower or something.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 25th March 2019, 17:10

TheMeInTeam wrote:I don't think many builds will want to swap to INCREASE LoS, which is usually considered bad rather than good.

That said, I don't see the issue with weapon swaps.

Agreed. ^

The weapon concept is pretty neat, I'd have a blast chucking holy rocks at Panlords :)
There is always something new to learn.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 25th March 2019, 18:08

TheMeInTeam wrote:I don't think many builds will want to swap to INCREASE LoS, which is usually considered bad rather than good.

That said, I don't see the issue with weapon swaps. You can do this with jewelry too, but with weapons it comes with a downside that if it isn't an otherwise good weapon your physical attacks are compromised. Mages can wield them as stat/resistance sticks, but these have to compete with enhancer staves (which also increase resistance anyway).

As such carrying an otherwise mediocre weapon and swapping it for resists is questionable/situational, unless you're running an oka thrower or something.

I don't think the question of increased/decreased LOS being better or worse is as simple as saying that it is usually considered bad and drawing a conclusion about the weapon from that basis. To me, there are pros and cons to both increased and decreased LOS. One example is that an increased LOS allows you additional time to retreat or launch attacks upon sighting a target. Of course increased LOS may also reveal more monsters at a time, which can be negative, but isn't always, take AOE into account.

If I had this weapon, I doubt I would swap to increase LOS as the primary use however. I'd find more utility in unswapping it, to decrease LOS after having spotted targets, who may be sleeping and won't do anything after I decrease my LOS.

All that said, I agree with your final conclusion that this weapon looks fine, but for different reasons. It would lend an additional dynamic to just a few games where it dropped, like all good powerful unrandarts should do.

Return to Game Design Discussion