feature request: rings of earth and wind

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 23rd March 2019, 11:41

feature request: rings of earth and wind

It bugs me that there are rings of fire and ice, but no rings of earth and wind. Assuming 3AC ~ rF+ based on shield brands, you could have the following rings:

ring of earth {Earth magic enhancer, AC+3, EV-3}
ring of wind {Air magic enhancer, rElec, AC-3}

They'd both have tactical uses, but most characters wouldn't want to wear them all the time. Octopode EE would be slightly buffed :D

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 23rd March 2019, 21:58

Re: feature request: rings of earth and wind

It's not a bad idea. The trouble I have with enhancer rings is that they are usually mostly garbage compared to other rings because of their negative effects of -rF and -rC. So, if two new rings were added with similar negative attributes, it would dilute the quality of ring drops overall. I propose the following:

ring of fire {rF+, fire magic enhancer} - (remove ring of protection from fire from the game)
ring of ice {rC+, ice magic enhancer} - (remove ring of protection from cold from the game)
ring of air {rElec, air magic enhancer}
ring of earth {AC+3, earth magic enhancer}

If the new rings seem too strong, maybe add back in that they slow you down casting the opposite school of magic, so the fire rings would look like {rF+, enhance fire magic, weaken ice magic}, etc., and so forth.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th March 2019, 01:52

svendre wrote:ring of fire {rF+, fire magic enhancer} - (remove ring of protection from fire from the game)
ring of ice {rC+, ice magic enhancer} - (remove ring of protection from cold from the game)

I like these two. Sure, would be a slight buff to all characters, but it's worth it because it declutters the game.

note: Randart rings should be unchanged.

ring of air {rElec, air magic enhancer}
ring of earth {AC+3, earth magic enhancer}

I wouldn't. First, this makes the magic schools less distinct by giving them each a ring enhancer.

FR: Amulet of the Air should be an Air enhancer in addition to everything else.

Secondly, when used only as resistance rings:
The lightning one does nothing for 99% of the game, but you carry it around anyway as a swap (see also: rCorr ring).
The Earth one is awesome if it drops with any frequency. compared to rings of protection.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 24th March 2019, 02:10

Rast wrote:The lightning one does nothing for 99% of the game, but you carry it around anyway as a swap (see also: rCorr ring).
see also every other resistance ring

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th March 2019, 02:46

duvessa wrote:see also every other resistance ring

There are far more enemies with fire and cold attacks than lightning.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 25th March 2019, 16:44

duvessa wrote:
Rast wrote:The lightning one does nothing for 99% of the game, but you carry it around anyway as a swap (see also: rCorr ring).
see also every other resistance ring

Why would you carry around items for 100% of the game that only work for 1% of the game? Am I to understand that you almost never play with any resistances for rF and rC because they are so worthless?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th March 2019, 23:24

99% is an exaggeration (for rElec anyway) but even if it wasn't, there's no penalty for carrying them around, so you should still do it

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 26th March 2019, 09:18

Isn't the penalty that you can carry one fewer kind of wand/scroll/evokable/potion/throwable? My inventory always gets full.

For this message the author petercordia has received thanks:
svendre

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 27th March 2019, 00:04

I still don't understand why all this super annyoing ringswapping is a thing in Crawl. For a game that boasts with its "no grinding/boring gameplay/nobrainer decisions" non-octopode player sure spend a lot of keypresses doing that.

But yeah, +1 for big jewellry reform. Reduce number of meaningless rings: +1 amulet of reflection/+1Dexterity ring really don't have a place in the game.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks:
nago

Return to Game Design Discussion