Silver branded melee?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 23:12

Silver branded melee?

Any chance the silver brand could be added for melee weapons? It's a neat little brand that's handy in a few places, but you can only get it on ammunition right now.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 02:42

Re: Silver branded melee?

Melee has holy brand already. Is there a difference between silver brand for ammo and holy brand for weapons?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 02:48

Not very useful, since it will affect only ugly things, shapeshifters, orbs of fire, neqoxecs (holy wrath kills them already), cacodemons (same with neqoxecs), and... that's all, I guess?

But I think it'll be cool if there's a special silver-branded fixed artefact. +9/+9 Silver Long Sword of Zin's Fury, maybe? :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 06:02

thenewflesh wrote:Melee has holy brand already. Is there a difference between silver brand for ammo and holy brand for weapons?

Silver works against chaotic and mutagenic stuff. There's some overlap, such as Neqoxecs, but it also works on a lot of other things. Also worth pointing out it's possible to get holy wrath ranged weapons through TSO.

Not very useful, since it will affect only ugly things, shapeshifters, orbs of fire, neqoxecs (holy wrath kills them already), cacodemons (same with neqoxecs), and... that's all, I guess?

Pulsating lumps, mummies, vampires, other undead (I think), chaos spawn, mutated players, abominations, Tiamat, killer klowns, and a few others too I think.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 06:11

Since 0.9, undeads aren't susceptible to silver anymore.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 13:41

I agree silver melee would be nice thematically, but silver anything is too situational right now. Most of the things it affects either aren't that dangerous, or there are other ways that most characters will have access to that are just as effective to kill them. I find myself using silver ammo without much regard because hoarding it will just weigh me down.

Maybe if holy were for undead and silver for demonic/mutating? Or silver just went away?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 19:03

pratamawirya wrote:Since 0.9, undeads aren't susceptible to silver anymore.

Well, that's lame. As far as I know, Holy Wrath brand on ranged weapons can only be obtained through TSO, so silver was everyone else's way of smacking undead and (a few) demons with an equivalent.

Hmmm, maybe silver-branded projectiles should be replaced with holy wrath and silver be repurposed into a Zin special brand that, outside of possible fixedarts, only he grants and does extra damage against everything he hates, not just chaotic/mutagenic stuff. If that came to pass, a follower of Zin would have fun times in Orcish Mines. Well, more fun than they already do.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 20:52

Holy brand overlaps with silver brand with demon / chaotic /mutated stuff.

Isn't holy brand frowned upon by evil gods as a reverse of unholy items by good gods? in this case a silver brand could be allowed then and used instead against demonic beings.

Also is an idea for a charm / trm
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 14:46

Roderic wrote:Also is an idea for a charm / trm

I'd heard a proposal to make Maxwell's Silver Hammer a Hex/Tm spell that'd give a temporary silver brand. Maybe only to crushing weapons? Of course, the spell is gone altogether now...
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Game Design Discussion