Modifying potion of brilliance

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 23rd February 2019, 18:46

Modifying potion of brilliance

The only resistance not covered by potions is mr, so I thought a new potion that would increase it by + or even ++ would be nice. A drawback could be either lowering physical resistances, like ac and/or ev, or a net % increase in damage received. Some lore to tidy it up about being more attuned to the magical realm at the expense of greater vulnerability or whatever. Then I thought that the brill potion could be hijacked and made more interesting if it had these additional effects.
It would make brill a desirable potion for pure melee guys, and no longer always an obvious buff on a mage.
What do you guys think?
make food great again

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 24th February 2019, 01:00

Re: Modifying potion of brilliance

There's no need for a drawback imo, potion of resistance does not have any drawbacks.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
delarado

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th February 2019, 01:49

I definitely like the idea of a potion that gives you MR++, however I have to say that using it in-game wouldn't be easy for me: there are a lot of monsters that use MR, and I'd find it difficult to find the right time (except maybe run-ins with the Enchantress).
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 26th February 2019, 15:34

Shtopit wrote:I definitely like the idea of a potion that gives you MR++, however I have to say that using it in-game wouldn't be easy for me: there are a lot of monsters that use MR, and I'd find it difficult to find the right time (except maybe run-ins with the Enchantress).

Obvious use cases would be times before you get more than a single source of MR, but run into enemies such as Rupert.

If you still can't find more than body armor with MR by the time you're choosing between elf/vaults/depths (this happens in a decent % of runs lately) then there's always going to be a small chance you just get screwed and I don't think the potion would make a difference too often in those cases.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 28th February 2019, 13:18

I like the idea of adding MR to brilliance or resistance with no drawback.

Return to Game Design Discussion