new scroll idea

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th February 2019, 13:46

new scroll idea

How about a Scroll of Random Semi-Usefullness? Upon being read, this scroll would grant a small, potentially helpful effect: a random blink, a small amount of healing, a small amount of piety, a nutritional boost, or (rarely) a very small boost of experience. This would be most (potentially) useful for low-level characters, quickly becoming baggage as the character gains levels and items.

Just a thought, please don't hurt me!

MM

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th February 2019, 16:29

Re: new scroll idea

That reads a lot like a feature from the deck of wonders (now defunct). Even with negative or neutral effects to counterbalance them, the possibility of reading a scroll for piety or XP is probably not going to fly. Well, that depends on the actual numbers involved.
Also relax, you're not getting hurt on a game forum.
There is always something new to learn.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 10th February 2019, 22:37

Removing the strategic benefits (which would make them must-use for all characters), this sounds like the deck of escape.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 23rd February 2019, 01:44

mollymolluskus wrote:How about a Scroll of Random Semi-Usefullness? Upon being read, this scroll would grant a small, potentially helpful effect: a random blink, a small amount of healing, a small amount of piety, a nutritional boost, or (rarely) a very small boost of experience. This would be most (potentially) useful for low-level characters, quickly becoming baggage as the character gains levels and items.

I think a problem here is the mix of effects that are useful in combat and effects I want right away. I'll probably just read all these immediately to get the XP and piety - not just because those are super useful to have right now (and might mean I don't want a blink or healing in combats because I'm stronger) but because the combat assistance is hard to find when needed.

Perhaps they could choose between different set of effects if monsters are in view or not? If the out of combat permanent benefits are very small, but the in-combat benefits are significant and generally useful, there might be a genuine decision to be made about whether to cash them beforehand or save them for crises; the same might also be true if they always gave the permanent benefit but could additionally do something useful in combat.

It all does look a bit like decks, though.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Return to Game Design Discussion