Post Friday, 1st February 2019, 08:40

Dispersal in Tomb3

I played a few games after a sizable break to discover quite a surprise in beta when I encountered the dispersal traps. At a glance, it looks like it's some attempt to prevent stair dancing. In general, I think that is a decent enough objective. In practice, in tomb3, which is a place already super-packed with cheesy kill player mechanics (torment, smite, etc. etc.) I think it pushes it over the top.

I say cheesy because it seems pretty hard, if not impossible to control or mitigate and produces random results. To begin with, there are so many of the traps, then because there are so many monsters in tomb3, and it seems like only one has to step on one trap and everything goes mad. Of course it is introducing difficulty, but I feel like it's doing it in way that is pretty random while simultaneously removing whatever semblance of positional tactics which may have been left in there.

I feel like tomb3 is one place in the game where due to a variety of reasons, the methods which are consistently effective in there are fairly limited. This topic has been beat to death already in the past, so I'm not sure it needs to be recapped. Throwing this dispersal mess on top of it seems like it does nothing but further limit the options which are viable.

In summary, I think tomb3 needs some of the cheesey mechanics toned down (torment, smiting, being slowed by swarms of fast moving creatures, damage from killing stuff curses...), not increased by adding yet another almost totally uncontrollable mechanic to it.

For this message the author svendre has received thanks: 2
BeardTony, Turukano