Avg number of shaft events?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 31st March 2019, 01:23

Avg number of shaft events?

What's expected average number of shaft events, lets say if a player fully explores each dungeon d1-d15 map?
I'm asking because it seems to be happening nearly every game now, very often multiple times per dungeon clear.
If I take my last, lets say, 10 games where I lived past lev 5, we can see that 8 (I think it's 8) of them I get shafted in d, and most of the games it happened several times. In the only two games where it didn't happen, I either died at lev8 or got shafted repeatedly in lair.
Now I don't remember this happening so often before the recent trap changes. Am I mistaken? I know 10 games is a very small number to take any conclusions from, but still.
make food great again

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 31st March 2019, 01:38

Re: Avg number of shaft events?

I've played a couple hundred games since the traps change was merged, the shaft rate definitely seems somewhat higher to me.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
runewalsh

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 31st March 2019, 09:25

As stated in the OP, shafts are much more frequent than in earlier versions. I tend to average two or three shafts in D, one or two in Lair branches (all 3 of them) and maybe one to four in extended. Back in say 0.19.5 tiles, I could go through a full game with two shafts at the most or even none.
Don't know about expected, but these numbers are consistent to my plays.
There is always something new to learn.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2019, 09:56

Based on the description ebering gave of his estimation of the frequency of the player hitting a trap in normal play (which I'm inclined to believe more or less correctly takes into account the factors considered), I would guess the missing element is that monsters ruined traps in the previous system that the player would be fairly likely to hit otherwise. It sounds like the shaft frequencies people report now are similar to the sum of the number of times the player gets shafted and the number of times monsters get shafted by a hidden shaft in a typical game for previous versions.
This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2019, 12:57

How does this impact an area like the Hall of Blades, which, IIRC, is rune-blocked, but in which you still can fall through a shaft?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2019, 13:12

I once fell into the Hall of Blades. I killed everything there :) If I'd been scared I could have teleported out.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2019, 18:24

Since other players seem to be having similar experiences, I wonder if the likelihood of a shaft triggering shouldn't be toned down a lot?
Frankly I prefer to be confronted with dangerous situations that are mostly of my own making and could have been avoided through careful and intelligent play, but I can understand if others think otherwise.
make food great again

For this message the author pedritolo has received thanks:
quik

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2019, 20:11

I like it. The game shouldn't be boring if you play well.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2019, 21:17

Personally, I have no problem with the current shafting rate. I'll make a post the first time I get killed because of getting shafted (I bet it happens soon now that I wrote this).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Game Design Discussion