Allie command Stand here.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 19th October 2018, 01:05

Allie command Stand here.

The ability to tell your allie to stand in a specific spot would be useful in getting them where you need them. Not sure if just a command for them to say there or just go there or both (two different commands) but any would be useful.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 20th October 2018, 12:59

Re: Allie command Stand here.

It would be useful from a player's perspective, but I am not convinced it is desirable from the game design perspective. It would lead to much more micromanagement, which is not desirable.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 20th October 2018, 14:34

If it takes a turn to use the command I think it wouldn't lead to too much micromanagement. It would just replace whatever action you'd otherwise do.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 20th October 2018, 16:40

sanka wrote:It would lead to much more micromanagement, which is not desirable.

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. In my opinion, the exact opposite is true.

Consider this: I am fighting with allies at a door. When an enemy stands in the door, 2 or 3 of us can attack it, and the other enemies behind the first one do nothing. Good.
But then, the enemy in the door dies, and OF COURSE on of my stupid allies steps in. Now I need 5 keypresses: tell the ally to retreat, and then tell him to attack. And then, when the second enemy dies, it happens again. And again. When we fight a pack, a simple "stand there" command could save 50 keypresses.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks: 2
PseudoLoneWolf, sdynet

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 21st October 2018, 05:04

Magipi wrote:
sanka wrote:It would lead to much more micromanagement, which is not desirable.

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. In my opinion, the exact opposite is true.

Consider this: I am fighting with allies at a door. When an enemy stands in the door, 2 or 3 of us can attack it, and the other enemies behind the first one do nothing. Good.
But then, the enemy in the door dies, and OF COURSE on of my stupid allies steps in. Now I need 5 keypresses: tell the ally to retreat, and then tell him to attack. And then, when the second enemy dies, it happens again. And again. When we fight a pack, a simple "stand there" command could save 50 keypresses.

It is a good point made. I agree adding this feature wouldn't necessarily add micromanagement and in many ways could potentially reduce it. I once voiced an opinion that it would be nice to have a feature to order allies to stand still. I think it would be nice for the players. However - I also believe that it would be a massive power boost to allies and summoning which they don't need. Anyways the point for me would still be moot as long as they suck XP, I still won't use them unless the only other choice is death.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 8th November 2018, 18:05

Will allies enter travel restricted areas? If not, then excluding the doorway in question seems like a simple solution to the bottleneck micromanagement issue and might generally be useful at controlling the degree to which allies draw aggro. I'm not sure how to handle the situation of a crimson imp randomly teleporting into a wide restricted area, however. The obvious result is the imp can't move so stays still, but having an ally remain where you explicitly don't want it seems undesirable.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 9th November 2018, 09:30

Nekoatl wrote:Will allies enter travel restricted areas? If not, then excluding the doorway in question seems like a simple solution to the bottleneck micromanagement issue and might generally be useful at controlling the degree to which allies draw aggro.

I don't think excluding tiles is less tedious than just having one command. Having played a lot with summons/allies I totally agree. You could replace a nearly useless command 'Guard this area' with 'Stand here' or something alongside of it. It would reduce tedium instead of adding it and you can already micromanage summons as much as you want with 'Retreat'/'Attack' commands...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th November 2018, 09:45

"Guard this area" is currently the most useful ally command since it lets you direct your allies to attack any nearby targets. Telling them to attack a specific target requires that the target be in LOS, and of course won't help you if you want them to attack multiple targets.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, VortexTurtle

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 9th November 2018, 09:49

duvessa wrote:"Guard this area" is currently the most useful ally command since it lets you direct your allies to attack any nearby targets. Telling them to attack a specific target requires that the target be in LOS, and of course won't help you if you want them to attack multiple targets.

Never thought about using it in that way. Well thanks for enlightening me! :)

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 9th November 2018, 14:33

If you ordered the allies to stand next to a single-space door, and the allies don't move to make room for each other to get closer, then a single command would get them to line up next to the door properly, but what about a 2-space door? Whichever space you picked, an ally would move from the opposite side of the door into the doorway space diagonal from your selection. The exclusion method would allow you to block both doorway spaces simultaneously.

Return to Game Design Discussion