Ancestor not blocking or being blocked with line of sight

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 18th October 2018, 22:50

Ancestor not blocking or being blocked with line of sight

Hepliaklqana's ancestors block your line of sight for range attacks and are blocked by you. This seriously hampers an already widely considered weak god. Furthermore from what I was told demons get a guardian mutation that does not block line of sight/where you can shoot past them. So I strongly recommend that one be able to shoot past their ancestors, and their ancestors able to shoot past them.

There is also a pathing issue where even if there is another way for a range attack to go past your guardian, it persists on only pathing the blocked way. So blocked range comes up a great deal with ancestors.

"the central place for this kind of discussion is on the CDO wiki," -from forum description.

Is it talking about this wiki? crawl.chaosforge.org How is that suppose to be done?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 19th October 2018, 00:11

Re: Ancestor not blocking or being blocked with line of sigh

I think the ancestor blocking LOF could be justified as being part of the experience of playing with the single strong ally god. Because if you want to play with an ally you might want the "managing an ally" gameplay experience (I do), and that involves the ally blocking LOF. It could be made non-blocking but in my opinion it would be fine either way. Demonic guardian doesn't block lof in part (or entirely?) because it's a randomly acquired mutation and certain players playing ranged character builds get annoyed when getting it. (While picking Hep is a conscious decision)

A bit offtopic but this "widely considered weak god" is apparently being strongly underestimated and I would rate it top 5, due to early-game power.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 19th October 2018, 00:20

A big improvement to Hep would be to slightly refactor the ranged autofight function so that it prioritizes enemies which you can hit without hitting your allies.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
Airwolf

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 19th October 2018, 00:49

This is the first I've heard of Hep being considered weak.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 20th October 2018, 05:48

truepurple wrote:"the central place for this kind of discussion is on the CDO wiki," -from forum description.

Is it talking about this wiki? crawl.chaosforge.org How is that suppose to be done?

No, they're talking about this wiki. You know, the one that looks like Wikipedia circa 2002 and has literally received five edits in the past year. Someone really needs to update that description. I gather the real "central place for this kind of discussion" is the crawl-dev IRC channel.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 20th October 2018, 18:12

Rast wrote:A big improvement to Hep would be to slightly refactor the ranged autofight function so that it prioritizes enemies which you can hit without hitting your allies.

And stop the projectile at an enemy (like "." in manual targeting) if continuing would hit an ally (or deep water/lava).

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks: 4
nago, petercordia, Rast, Tumalu

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 22nd October 2018, 16:14

Airwolf wrote:
Rast wrote:A big improvement to Hep would be to slightly refactor the ranged autofight function so that it prioritizes enemies which you can hit without hitting your allies.

And stop the projectile at an enemy (like "." in manual targeting) if continuing would hit an ally (or deep water/lava).

There's an rc file setting that makes ranged auto-fight always use "." targeting. Not quite what you're asking for, but maybe relevant.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Return to Game Design Discussion