Don't drop items in lava/water

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 19:57

Don't drop items in lava/water

You know how if you kill a monster under Gozag, and it's over lava, its gold gets dropped on the nearest floor square instead of into the lava?

Do that but for all items and all characters. It's obnoxious to move merfolk, spriggan riders, etc. into shallow/no water before killing them.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 7
Airwolf, Hellmonk, nago, njvack, sdynet, Shard1697, Stonar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 20:10

Re: Don't drop items in lava/water

Also for fired ammo (for the same reasons)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 4
dolemite99, duvessa, nago, sdynet

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 23:11

And please make corpses float, for same reasons. :-) Sucks not being able to re-animate monsters who died in deep water. I am starting up a zombie water polo team, I'm pretty sure they can swim up from the depths to join my squad.

For this message the author dolemite99 has received thanks:
nago

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 11th October 2018, 15:14

Maybe, make items drop on whatever tile they drop, but make them move and eventually reach the nearest shore at 1.0 aut. Just them teleporting would look weird.

Will still be weird for scrolls to survive lava but hey. they magic

Will be a nice contrast to the days they would burn up because an orc wizard sneezed on you

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 11th October 2018, 19:52

How about just before an item is about to fall in lava, the lava is teleported above the player's head, falls (striking everything flying) and lands below incinerating everything below too. Problem solved!

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 12th October 2018, 08:31

duvessa wrote:You know how if you kill a monster under Gozag, and it's over lava, its gold gets dropped on the nearest floor square instead of into the lava?

Do that but for all items and all characters. It's obnoxious to move merfolk, spriggan riders, etc. into shallow/no water before killing them.

It is an issue but it would be so weird from a physics point of view that I don't really like your solution. At least for deep water an alternative could be to just drop the items where they are. Then it's up to the player to find out a way to get them: fly, spell of appropriation (which is so easy everyone can learn it). Perhaps there could also be a new command to allies to "bring item", and the wand of polymorph could turn you into a merfolk or salamander.

My 2c.

(For lava I don't know, but it's such a rare occasion that I don't think it makes sense to make the physics look weird just for it.)

Barkeep

Post Monday, 15th October 2018, 13:18

+1 on the OP; at very least Gozag and other item behavior should be the same.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 15th October 2018, 15:50

If you kill a monster under Gozag and its gold pile would be destroyed, you actually get the gold directly. It never drops on the ground at all.

Fr: do this for all Gozag gold piles.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2018, 00:28

Hellmonk wrote:If you kill a monster under Gozag and its gold pile would be destroyed, you actually get the gold directly. It never drops on the ground at all.

Yeah but then you lose the gozag flavor. FR: gold piles should slowly move towards the player on their own.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2018, 00:45

Rast wrote:
Hellmonk wrote:If you kill a monster under Gozag and its gold pile would be destroyed, you actually get the gold directly. It never drops on the ground at all.

Yeah but then you lose the gozag flavor. FR: gold piles should slowly move towards the player on their own.

Creeping Cash!
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2018, 02:00

Items drop in deep water for swimming species, right? I think items should drop in deep water for all species. If you want to get the items as a Human, you need to use apportation or flight or whatever.

Lava flavour wouldn't really work this way, so it's an incomplete solution, but it's a very simple change so I like it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2018, 03:15

You could say the items are sitting on top of the lava. Lava is a lot more viscous than water, just because plate armour is dense doesn't mean it'll sink into it.

Technically items that fall in deep water are accessible for all species, you just have to switch to Fedhas and use Sunlight to dry up the water.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2018, 08:16

So why can't we just walk in deep water or lava to fetch items? With the draining cost, of course.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Game Design Discussion