Spell expiration: Conjure Flame vs Death's Door

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2018, 00:09

Spell expiration: Conjure Flame vs Death's Door

Have you noticed how Conjure Flame always expire after all monsters move? You can cheiwalk in Statue Form next to a killer bee behind flame cloud (created by CF) and yet you can still safely recast it on the same spot after it expires.
Now what's with Death's Door? You can easily be killed on the same turn DD expired. Wouldn't it be natural if DD behaved like CF in this aspect? I think it would. You?

So, is this intentional or an oversight?

Edit. On the second thought, it's intentional. If DD had guaranteed turn there would be no need in paralysis when Borgnjor's Revivification is cast during active DDoor. It would be always optimal to wait for the end and cast BR there.
Too hasty with this topic. (:
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks: 2
Fingolfin, nago

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 20:13

Re: Spell expiration: Conjure Flame vs Death's Door

Yermak wrote:Have you noticed how Conjure Flame always expire after all monsters move? You can cheiwalk in Statue Form next to a killer bee behind flame cloud (created by CF) and yet you can still safely recast it on the same spot after it expires.
Now what's with Death's Door? You can easily be killed on the same turn DD expired. Wouldn't it be natural if DD behaved like CF in this aspect? I think it would. You?

So, is this intentional or an oversight?

Edit. On the second thought, it's intentional. If DD had guaranteed turn there would be no need in paralysis when Borgnjor's Revivification is cast during active DDoor. It would be always optimal to wait for the end and cast BR there.
Too hasty with this topic. (:

If the issue identified in the edit is the only problem, you can change it so that BR still causes paralysis if under the effect of DUR_DEATHS_DOOR_COOLDOWN. This would be a nerf to DD/BR combos, so it depends on if that expiration turn order on the stack is more important.

Return to Game Design Discussion