Suggestions: Valhalla

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:24

Suggestions: Valhalla

Valhalla

For those unaware, in Norse mythology, Valhalla "hall of the slain") is a majestic, enormous hall located in Asgard, ruled over by the god Odin.

Valhalla in Stone Soup:
- Game mode or specific area within the dungeon.
- In Valhalla the player's current character would find the top 20 characters "ghosts" in one arena type area.
- Valhalla leaderboards in game menu, separate score sheet for Valhalla.
- All against one or everyone for himself?

Possibly after death experience, by defeating all enemies in Valhalla the player would be resurrected by the Gods.

Characters in Valhalla:
- Power level of ghosts would be identifiable through the color of character @ mark, ranging from dull grey to red/orange/gold or whatever is chosen.
- Probably no loot or if there is loot in Valhalla it should be based on chance.

Reasons:

- Fairly easy to implement.
- Interesting and always challenging content, the player faces the best characters he has managed to create so far.

For this message the author Denethor has received thanks: 2
Bleyddyn, Fingolfin

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 16:18

Re: Suggestions: Valhalla

I like the idea, though I don't think ghost fights are interesting enough as of now to base a portal or a game mode on them. However, I feel like Crawl could use some more Norse mythology references (afaik as of now there's only the giants, and those were taken from D&D, which took them from norse mythology, so a lot of flavour is lost there). Maybe a branch based on it could replace Elf in some games ? Or some uniques based on Jörmungand and Fenrir (monstrous sea snake and wolf), or Thrym and Surt (ice and fire giant kings) could be pretty cool to fight.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 17:59

Re: Suggestions: Valhalla

I'd be interested in seeing an Yggdrasil branch appear as an alt Elf.

For this message the author PseudoLoneWolf has received thanks: 2
Bleyddyn, Fingolfin

Return to Game Design Discussion