Minor UI additions

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 18:53

Minor UI additions

1) In the Ctrl-P message history screen, add a ‘?’ command to search in message history.

2) Under the ‘Rest’ heading add a new command ‘6’ called “rest and heal” that rests until your health becomes full or a monster is detected. If Health is already full, does nothing. Would not stop for: hunger (other than starving), form changes, or anything other than monsters or full health.

3) Add an indication somewhere, even if it’s just the morgue file, if a Demonspawn is monstrous.

Why?

1 + 3) Mostly I care about these two because I forgot to check when I got my first mutation and I want to know if my DsTm is monstrous, since my skill training strategy is different. The monstrous message does not show up anywhere in the morgue file that I can see (except in monster descriptions). However, there are probably other reasons to be able to search message history.

2) As a transmuter I frequently want to rest until full health, without necessarily caring about full magic. The ‘5’ command also stops on most form changes, so I have to remember to end my transformation (which I can’t seem to do) or I have to rest multiple times. I also find the ‘5’ command’s habit of resting 100 turns if I hit it once too many times to be very annoying.

Sorry for the multiple ideas in one post, but for me at least, they are related.

Edited to add: I just realized that '6' is actually a movement command, so 'rest and heal' would need to be another key.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 19:14

Re: Minor UI additions

I second being able to search in the message history, also in the help files and in the morgue viewer.

6 already does something, but the command is probably quite doable in LUA and assignable to a key of your choosing.

and demonspawn's monstorousness would be nice to indicate, although you can tell from the mutation facets assigned if you're willing to look carefully.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 19:37

Siegurt wrote:...the command is probably quite doable in LUA and assignable to a key of your choosing.

Huh, I didn't know that was a thing. Will look into it, thanks!

Siegurt wrote:...and demonspawn's monstorousness would be nice to indicate, although you can tell from the mutation facets assigned if you're willing to look carefully.

True, but I prefer to start training some armor fairly soon on monstrous chars, and order of getting mutations might delay realizing it if I missed the message.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 19:46

1 is definitely coming, it's something that's now much more practical to add with the recent UI changes.

Re 3, the game does actually record a milestone for discovering that you are monstrous, and it is even queryable in sequell (`!lm . monstrous -log` for example). However, it doesn't record it as a note in your game log -- but there's a way of adding notes for any message you want as a note. I think (not tested by me, but I found it in dev logs) that adding `note_messages += You feel monstrous` to your rc file will ensure that a note is made when you discover monstrosity.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 19:55

advil wrote:...adding `note_messages += You feel monstrous` to your rc file will ensure that a note is made when you discover monstrosity.

Thanks! I added it and didn't get an error when I started the game. I'll check next time I get it.

Return to Game Design Discussion