Shuffle Card Questions

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th September 2011, 17:58

Shuffle Card Questions

I just drew Shuffle from a plain deck (of CHANGES apparently!).

Completely swapped my 25 Strength for my 7 Int on my MDFi.

Now I have a promising Spellcaster, I guess.

So... Shuffle. On a PLAIN deck.

I guess it doesn't matter what the power of the deck is, the power of Shuffle is consistent?

I would have figured I could risk screwing around with an unidentified plain deck. I guess not.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 12th September 2011, 18:31

Re: Shuffle Card Questions

Moral: don't screw around with unidentified decks :P

Bear in mind that if you scroll-identify it, not only do you find out what kind of deck it is (which shows you all the cards it can contain, if you examine it - decks of changes contain cards from the deck of wonder, amongst others), you also even get the top card revealed now.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 12th September 2011, 19:10

Yeah, i lost one of my first good chars to shuffle (int went to dex i was great at dodging! but only dodging :( ), there should probably be some sort of warning about that possibility for new players, this was one of the major reasons i have since decided to spoil myself constantly on almost everything, keeping both the wiki and bots open at all times whenever i play the game for reference, because after ruining a char i had spent 15-20h on from the third card or so i ever drew (i had exactly no idea what the card names meant), i almost quit playing this game.

Maybe some sort of warning the first time a card is drawn in a game from an unidentified deck?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 12th September 2011, 19:17

Well, you can also look up all the cards ingame with ?/C. Perhaps the unidentified description of decks should just explain the fact that they're risky to draw from, though.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 12th September 2011, 19:36

Just a (good!) hint or something, from where i stand now it's pretty funny, but at the time i was quite frustrated and didnt play for a few weeks before getting bored, trying the game with full spoilers, and having fun again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th September 2011, 20:37

MarvinPA wrote:Moral: don't screw around with unidentified decks :P

Bear in mind that if you scroll-identify it, not only do you find out what kind of deck it is (which shows you all the cards it can contain, if you examine it - decks of changes contain cards from the deck of wonder, amongst others), you also even get the top card revealed now.

This I knew.

I expected to be OK with drawing shuffle because it was a plain deck, not ornate or legendary.

I completely understand the risks of drawing shuffle, but with a plain deck I expected shuffle to throw maybe 30% of my stat points around, not act identical to the legendary card.

I think the effect of the shuffle card should be scaled to the power of the deck from which it is drawn.

My fighter now built his strength up to 17 (with Int at 29). He has a terrible selection of spellbooks so far, so we're still going hand to hand. Plus he just received a +5 Demon Whip from a Hell Knight.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Game Design Discussion