Spell library search and filtering

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

erf

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 23rd July 2018, 09:54

Spell library search and filtering

Hi, i enjoy the new spell library feature, but i would like a search which is updated on the fly as each characters are entered.

Also an option to filter or group on various Spell types would be great.

For this message the author erf has received thanks:
Berder

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 23rd July 2018, 14:00

Re: Spell library search and filtering

erf wrote:Hi, i enjoy the new spell library feature, but i would like a search which is updated on the fly as each characters are entered.

Maybe, and there are still some todo items for spell search before release, but this is the kind of ask where the immediate response is, patches welcome!

Search already will do spell types as well as names (plus a few other things), is this not enough? Wheals and I discussed this possibility and he persuaded me that it would be a bit cluttered to include a grouping option as well.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd July 2018, 18:13

advil wrote:
erf wrote:Hi, i enjoy the new spell library feature, but i would like a search which is updated on the fly as each characters are entered.

Maybe, and there are still some todo items for spell search before release, but this is the kind of ask where the immediate response is, patches welcome!

Search already will do spell types as well as names (plus a few other things), is this not enough? Wheals and I discussed this possibility and he persuaded me that it would be a bit cluttered to include a grouping option as well.

I would personally like a grouping option too, I'd make a single command to cycle 'Success Rate (current sort)/Alphabetical (no grouping)/Spell Level (grouped)/Spell School (grouped, with duplicates shown for multi-school spells)"

At very least being able to change to alphabetical sort from success rate would help me scan for a spell that I know the name of without resorting to a filter (Which takes more keystrokes)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd July 2018, 20:05

Before the Spell Library, you could search for spells to memorize using Ctrl-F from the main game window, which would show books containing the search term. This only works halfway now because it won't find spells in your Spell Library. I'd like spells in the Spell Library to also show up with ctrl-F search from the main game window. For this purpose the Spell Library could be treated like another spellbook.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd July 2018, 20:20

Berder wrote:Before the Spell Library, you could search for spells to memorize using Ctrl-F from the main game window, which would show books containing the search term. This only works halfway now because it won't find spells in your Spell Library. I'd like spells in the Spell Library to also show up with ctrl-F search from the main game window. For this purpose the Spell Library could be treated like another spellbook.

Had you noticed you can use control-F in the spell library? (I mean if you don't know you're searching for spells it doesn't help, but I think most of the time, you know you are looking for spells to memorize when you want to do a search for them)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Berder

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd July 2018, 20:53

Ah, yes you can, thought I had tried that before. Perhaps a more recent feature.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

erf

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 22:31

bump - still would be cool with incremental search for spells.

might look into implementing it when i have time.. but not familiar with the code so please feel free anyone to do this.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th February 2019, 15:43

I'd like the ability to toggle between known and unknown spells in the library, similar to how '-' toggles between known and unknown items in the item knowledge screen. This would be useful when deciding whether to use acquirement scrolls and/or Call Merchant to generate books. Players could create a wish list using Show/Hide on unknown spells if they wanted, and from then on a quick glance would let them see which of their desired spells they're missing, and when new spellbooks are acquired, those spells would be pre-sorted by desirability.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th February 2019, 21:39

I'd just like to say, instead of nit picking at something in the game, I love the spell library update. The spell library rocks. It's probably my favorite update in ages. Thank you again whoever added it! Even without every option sortable, etc. it made the game so much more pleasant than hording spell books on the floor.

For this message the author svendre has received thanks: 3
petercordia, Rast, Shard1697

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th February 2019, 18:29

Agreed; spell library is great. It did take me a little while to realize I can't ctrl + F search for spells anymore, but then once I saw the search on the library itself, that's fine. I would like and use the suggested feature where general ground item search would still search your spell library like it used to with books, but I can also just update my behavior and search for spells in the library as well. Just have to break the old habit.

Return to Game Design Discussion