Idea: Scroll of Acquirement, Artefacts and XOM

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th July 2018, 04:03

Idea: Scroll of Acquirement, Artefacts and XOM

When using a scroll of acquirement later in the game, I hate getting armour that is already lying on the dungeon floor.
So I've been trying to think of a new option for the scroll specific to: Artefacts

One idea is to have the option: (i)random artefact
It would provide a completely randart or unrandart with no guarantee that it can be worn or helpful in anyway.

As a prototype for v0.23 trunk, I'm thinking it could be trialed as an option only available to followers of Xom.
That way, if an artefact is completely useless, Xom would be ROTFL ...making it a WIN/win scenario

Feel free to evolve this idea in anyway as I am not in a position currently to program it myself.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 13th July 2018, 04:47

Re: Idea: Scroll of Acquirement, Artefacts and XOM

Acquirement already tries to avoid giving you items that you have already seen and identified. (Yes, you can improve acquirement by identifying all the weapons and armour on the floor that you don't want.)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
arandomperson12

Barkeep

Post Monday, 16th July 2018, 13:33

I do kinda think a "make me a random artefact, biased towards something my character might find useful" option for Acquirement might be fun. Probably wouldn't usually be the best choice for the scroll, but sometimes you don't really need gear and it's fun to spin a roulette wheel.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2018, 09:03

Please for the love of god remove "shields" from "armour" and give it its own category as shields are significantly different from armour from a mechanics perspective. Nothing better than going for armour with a 2h wielding character and getting a random magic shield three times in a row.

For this message the author crawlnoob has received thanks: 4
Airwolf, arandomperson12, PseudoLoneWolf, VeryAngryFelid

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2018, 12:55

Probably one of the easiest ways to implement something related to my OP is:

give Xom followers a God-ability (via the 'a' key) to convert/trade a Scroll of Acquirement into a random artefact.

Return to Game Design Discussion