Limit Vehumet gifts to Conjurations and elemental schools

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2018, 02:38

Limit Vehumet gifts to Conjurations and elemental schools

Vehumet can give Yara's. While it's kind of fun in general and very useful for Mummies in Dis, I don't think it's a level 5 spell gift one would be hoping for; not only it can't be used reliably on its own, it's also Hexes/Transmutations, neither of which a Vehumet worshipper finds particularly useful unless maybe it's a Felid with Fulminant Prism or something. Please limit Vehumet's gifts to those that at least partially require Conjurations or elemental schools + maybe Poison, this god is already awful as it is.

This post was inspired by a character that received Inner Flame, Olgreb's and Yara's.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2018, 04:13

Re: Limit Vehumet gifts to Conjurations and elemental school

FWIW, I often play DE ^ Vehumet and learning Yara's not uncommon for me. DE has good hexes apt, and I learn some Hexes together with my conjurations. I don't know if it's "optimal" to do so, but I do it anyway.

Yara's situationally useful in other ways too: like dispelling haste from a deep troll in a pack, and doing a bit of damage and malmutating it and its buddies in the bargain.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2018, 05:28

Yara's is in fact the only non-Conjuration/elemental/Poison spell that is supported by Vehumet. So simply removing it from the Vehumet list, or making it a conjuration, would accomplish the same thing as this restriction.

I'm leaning towards saying Yara's should be a conjuration, Vehumet or not; the other damaging Hexes spell, Dazzling Spray, is also a conjuration. I know Yara's is in Transmutations because of the mutagenic part, but Conjuration/Hexes seems like it would be a better fit in terms of gameplay.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2018, 15:50

duvessa wrote:Yara's is in fact the only non-Conjuration/elemental/Poison spell that is supported by Vehumet. So simply removing it from the Vehumet list, or making it a conjuration, would accomplish the same thing as this restriction.

I'm leaning towards saying Yara's should be a conjuration, Vehumet or not; the other damaging Hexes spell, Dazzling Spray, is also a conjuration. I know Yara's is in Transmutations because of the mutagenic part, but Conjuration/Hexes seems like it would be a better fit in terms of gameplay.

It could also be dropped to level 4 and be made 3 school (Honestly as a level 5 spell it's pretty poor, power-level wise)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Nekoatl

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 9th July 2018, 16:54

Bear in mind that god gifts are not meant to be guaranteed-useful, but merely "odds swung in your favor" to be useful. You can have a run of bad luck with Sif, Oka, etc too.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2018, 06:34

It's still a solid lvl 3/4 spell even if the 5 is weak "comparatively"

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 14th July 2018, 18:20

Granted, but Sif and Oka will keep giving you gifts as long as you keep gaining piety with them, whereas Vehumet has a hard limit. I'd advocate giving a choice of spells at each offering rather than just removing Yara's, as "Which of these spells do I think I can use most effectively?" is a more interesting and meaningful choice than "Do I have enough free memorization levels / amnesia scrolls so that there's no reason to not learn this one and only spell that's available?"

Return to Game Design Discussion