Hard mode idea

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2018, 00:12

Hard mode idea

The only difference to this "hard mode" would be that you cannot go UP stairs without the orb of zot with a few different possible conditions;
1. You can go upstairs only after you have cleared most of the level, so you can still do go back to the lair from dungeon 15 for example. OR
2. You can go back upstairs without the orb of zot only in branches like the lair or slime pits. Meaning if you want every rune, you must either do them with the orb of zot or do the branches before you go to the next dungeon floor. OR
3. Number 2 but you need to clear most of the floor to move back up in branches.

The reason I think this would be fun is its a little too safe to just keep pulling enemy's up stairs a few at a time and this removes a lot of the fun scenarios that being able to go up stairs removes. For example: I often have to run through unexplored rooms and corridors on dungeon 1 with a really weak starting character running from strong enemy's waiting for my mana or health to come back. This fun and awesome scenario could be a lot more common with this hard mode especially when you are blinking and using all those unique spells I never really get to use.

There will need to be a lot of exceptions being made like portals, the temple, etc. Also it may make some combinations of race/backgrounds to be impossible but I think that's okay.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 25th June 2018, 04:17

Re: Hard mode idea

Consider hellcrawl.

For this message the author edgefigaro has received thanks: 2
chequers, VeryAngryFelid

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 25th June 2018, 10:27

The Ogre Slayer wrote: I often have to [pillardance] on dungeon 1. This fun and awesome scenario...

You have a weird definition of "fun and awesome" my friend ;)

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 30th June 2018, 05:59

Simply do not use stairs just as you described it. Your problem is solved.

IMO there's no need for different game modes. If you want harder difficulty, pick a harder race/god/class.

Return to Game Design Discussion