How about only spawning usable items?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 15th June 2018, 13:30

How about only spawning usable items?

If it is gray, it goes away!
Instead of that sweet randart leather armour your Spriggan cannot use, NOTHING is spawned, sparing the player the mental anguish of questioning his race pick and cursing the gods for not spawning that sweet loot for the time you play the Tengu Summoner?

Counterpoint: might inspire a player to look at other combos. IDK, I always get salty when this happens....

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th June 2018, 17:23

Re: How about only spawning usable items?

This comes up a lot and my response is always the same: if items generate differently depending on your character, it makes it really hard for unspoiled players to figure out how rare an item is.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 15th June 2018, 17:49

As far as I'm aware, portals still spawn differently based on player species. A commit two years-ish back made octopodes not have armour troves, because "its too easy for them".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th June 2018, 18:10

Yeah, this just hides the already-obscure item generation rules from the player, we don't need to make the game any more confusing. Besides, anguish over what might-have-been is part of what makes DCSS great :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Friday, 15th June 2018, 18:25

Also, item usefulness is something that can change over the course of the game; it would suck if the bear hat didn't generate because your Be had a curable horns mutation or something.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
BroOfZot

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th June 2018, 23:07

le_nerd wrote:As far as I'm aware, portals still spawn differently based on player species. A commit two years-ish back made octopodes not have armour troves, because "its too easy for them".
That only affects the entry fee that the trove asks for, it doesn't affect whether the trove generates in the first place. (I also protested this exact change.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th June 2018, 09:01

Online, autoexplore by default doesn't show you while you explore, and only shows you when you stop. In this case, is your character halted each time your human sees a barding? If it isn't, then I don't see any difference from having an option, activated by default, that hides items unusable by your species, especially now that door blocking is gone. Less clutter = good. If you want to see them, you tick the option off.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Game Design Discussion