Usk line pass UI

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 10th June 2018, 18:15

Usk line pass UI

Could it be made so that if Line Pass has only one available destination, that spot is automatically targeted? This happens in hallways

Code:
###########
..*oo@.....
###########

this way the macro ab\{g13} would allow me to save as much time personally as it would take someone like you to code it up. 1-1, win-win, whatever you wanna call it.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
chequers

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th June 2018, 07:32

Re: Usk line pass UI

this would save me negative time because i wouldn't expect it to target that spot by default, so i'd move the targeter based on where i would expect it to start, and then end up with an invalid target and have to go back

human visual reaction time is around 250ms, so for me (and I suspect a lot of other players) a targeter that consistently starts in a "bad" place is still faster than a targeter that starts somewhere I don't expect it to.
The change to the LRD targeter made the spell take roughly 10 times longer to use for me, and that's not an exaggeration; it used to use the default targeter so it'd start on a monster and I knew which monster it'd start on, so most of the time it was a matter of moving the cursor one step to the wall I want to break. That one keypress takes practically no time.
Then it got a "better" targeter that made it start on a wall near a monster, and I found that I couldn't consistently predict where that targeter would start, so I had to look at the screen every time to figure out where it started, then move it to the wall I actually wanted to break. This was easily more than 10 times slower, especially if there's lag.
The simple_targeting option was an improvement, but it's still much worse than the old default targeter: it makes the LRD targeter always start on your character. Now, this way I know where it starts, but I also usually have to move it 5+ tiles (LRD has LOS+1 range and you generally want to take advantage of that range). And typing zlb⏎ isn't much slower than zl⏎, but man, zljbjjj⏎ sure is. Still faster than having to read the screen an extra time though.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2018, 00:07

I don`t get your LRD comparison at all. In this situation and many 1v1 situations, there is only one destination. Take that same hallway above and you have a half dozen LRD targets. Maybe more, I dunno, I suspect you`ll count. It sounds like your problem is about your own adaptation to a change. Hey, I still hit P at altars sometimes
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
quik

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2018, 21:48

The thing is a consistent system is more efficient than an inconsistent one. Having a targeter that always points to the same spot is better than a targeter that always targets the same spots except in some edge cases where it targets somewhere else.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

For this message the author Fingolfin has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2018, 22:03

I think really all that's needed is:
  Code:
1. The targeter needs another set of keys to cycle between "suggested locations" (it already has keys for monsters, and most types of dungeon features that you might be targetting) but the 'smart' locations for LRD, lightning bolt/shock etc. aren't available)
2. The list of 'suggested locations' be either populated with monsters for spells that target those, or in the case of stuff like line pass and LRD reasonable destinations (in decending order of number of creatures it will effect) (And I guess the locations of items for apportation)
    * For single monster targets I'd use 'closest first' except for hexes where I'd skip anything that's already effected by the hex you're casting (Maybe just generally skip things that are immune to the thing you are trying to target too)
    * For anything with an area I'd first filter by 'legal target square' then sort by 'doesn't hit me', followed by 'most hits applied' breaking ties by closest monster (then second closest etc.)
    * For items I'd probably sort by most distant first.

Then you can default the behavior of the targetter to either yourself or the first suggested location (depending on your preference) and be able to hit one key to get to the first suggested location (or yourself, which is already an option with 'r')

You can then make macros for people who care less about specific targetting and want something tab-like for targeted effects, and still have either mode as default.

That isn't actually that much work, all told.

I think that lets everyone have their cake and eat it too.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 13th June 2018, 03:06

Fingolfin wrote:The thing is a consistent system is more efficient than an inconsistent one. Having a targeter that always points to the same spot is better than a targeter that always targets the same spots except in some edge cases where it targets somewhere else.

Edge cases? Line Pass with only one available target is NOT an edge case.

Return to Game Design Discussion