How about a Demon Axe?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 17:57

How about a Demon Axe?

Right now, we have demon blades, demon whips, and demon tridents as the premiere 1h weapons of their respective classes. The removal of katanas and the recent buffing of demon blades has cemented this. Axes feel a bit left out in the cold when it comes to 1h use. I propose a demon axe be added to fill that gap.

At the moment, the weapons look like this

Demon Whip
Dam 11, min delay 5 (110%)
Extra +1 damage from blessing

Demon Blade
Dam 13, min delay 6 (130%)

Demon Trident
Dam 13, min delay 6 (130%)
Potential hand-and-a-half penalties from lower skill with a shield
Reach with new development patch?

Broad Axe
Dam 14, min delay 7 (160%)
No blessing bonuses

Broad axes were improved slightly when the min delay code was changed to allow at least a min-delay of 7 on all weapons instead of just 2h. At the moment though, the only real reason to go axes is if you plan on going 2h. An executioner axe to the face is a powerful persuasive tool.

In keeping with the fact that a demon blade gains two damage and loses a point of min delay over a demon whip, I suggest the same progression for a demon axe.

Demon Axe
Dam 15, min delay 7 (150%)
Potentially hand-and-a-half?

That would make m&f the fast choice, long blades the balanced choice, and axes the power choice. I realize that the proposed demon axe is largely similar to a double sword, but I would suggest that the axe class needs a weapon of this caliber far more than long blades do. The double sword could potentially be removed, if not only to give 1h axes a much needed niche. At the moment, 1h axe just isn't competitive. A demon axe also feels thematically consistent with the other demon weapons, and rounds out the demon line of 1h weapons.
Last edited by FilthyApe on Saturday, 10th September 2011, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 18:07

Re: How about a Demon Axe?

Need a Blessed Axe to go with it for TSO conversion.

Recommend naming it "Harmonic Axe" or "Holy Cleaver".
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 18:52

Why is it a bad thing that axes are stronger for two-handed use than most other classes, but weaker for one-handed use? Axes are the one weapon class that's actually pretty well differentiated from the others in that respect. And broad axes aren't bad at all as far as one-handers go, if you do go axes and then find a particularly nice shield.

(Also there's already a demon axe anyway).

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 18:57

Why couldn't a Demon Axe be a Two-Hander that is Blessable?
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 19:52

There's already a demonic axe. It's made by hacking the arm off an executioner demon, and it's the most damaging base weapon type in the game. How much more demonic do you need it to be?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 20:13

Are you referring to the Executioner's Axe?
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 22:10

For some reason whenever I see "demon axe" I think "CRITICAL! 20 dmg to the enemy... and 40 dmg to you! You die..." ... stupid fire emblem :P
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

Return to Game Design Discussion