Questions about arming Mercs.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 14:49

Questions about arming Mercs.

It's been brought to my attention that mercenaries (like Efreet) can once again arm themselves from the floor items, and presumably use armour.

Questions abound:
1) Does this apply to Jewelery too?

2) What about cursed items; orc followers get Beogh blessings to remove curse; how does it work for mercs; are they eternally screwed?

3) Other than death or an improved weapon, how do you get them to relinquish items?

4) Do they drop the equipment when they die?

I think adding a "disarm" talk command to force all allies within earshot to drop all their weapons / armour / jewelery (and set them to "don't arm yourself" mode) would be the simplest way to enable the least of management abilities, and might also be a fun enhancement to the Charm spell.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Davion Fuxa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 16:52

Re: So we can arm Mercs again...

Personally I like Mercenaries and wouldn't mind some improvements being carried out to make Non-Beogh and Non-Yred characters benefit from them a little more.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Return to Game Design Discussion