The player gargoyle / shatter interaction is bad

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 01:57

The player gargoyle / shatter interaction is bad

When shatter got tweaked, the interaction changed so that player gargoyles take extra damage even if they're flying. The damage is high enough that Jorgrun can oneshot you if you ever spend a turn in his los. Seems silly to have a unique with a spell that instakills a single player speices and is not threatening to the rest, so I suggest either adjusting shatter again or replacing it in Jorgrun's spell list.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 12
Airwolf, bel, Doesnt, duvessa, nago, Pekkekke, prozacelf, Shard1697, Sprucery, VeryAngryFelid and 2 more users

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 28th May 2018, 23:23

Re: The player gargoyle / shatter interaction is bad

Adjusting it would be a lot better than replacing it, considering pan lords can also have it(and the spell is fine besides this interaction).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2018, 03:41

I don't think Shatter is a fine monster spell at all. It would be better to just give the monsters in question Call Down Damnation, it fills the same niche of irresistible damage that hits you no matter what your positioning, without having the friendly fire or the wacky wall destruction or the absolutely baffling petrify/flight/statue form/etc. interactions. Sure Shatter checks AC and damnation doesn't but that's not going to make a big difference in how it plays.
Shatter also shouldn't appear on ghosts.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2018, 04:11

Shard1697 wrote:Adjusting it would be a lot better than replacing it, considering pan lords can also have it(and the spell is fine besides this interaction).

Remove Shatter from pan lord spell lists

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2018, 18:58

Shatter would be a better spell across the board without the status and form interactions, IMO

Having monsters wreck dungeon layout is good I think, but there's already dig
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Game Design Discussion