Distortion Unwields

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 16:29

Distortion Unwields

Is it really necessary to randomly punish people for unwielding distortion branded weapons? It makes distortion weapons useless outside of being a gimmick to get out of Pan and a random f**k you to characters too low level to survive the Abyss. I just spent the best part of an hour playing a character into the teens only for them to unwittingly wield a distortion weapon. Naturally, they were banished and killed. Does the game really need that?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 16:40

Re: Distortion Unwields

Maybe because distortion is quite powerful?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 16:44

Nothing's forcing you to unwield it. (Well, unless it's a blunt weapon - and even then there are ways to get around the butchery issues).

And yeah, the brand is very strong when you adapt to take advantage of it. The (harsh, but fair) downside is that you *have* to adapt to it, instead of being able to swap it in and out at will like most other brands.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 01:55

I don't have a problem with it if I chose to wield a distortion weapon, but I don't see how being banished at clvl 13 for wielding a glowing quarterstaff is fair or fun or strategically interesting. It's a bit like if vampiric weapons didn't stop you from wielding them so you sometimes instantly starve to death because you unwittingly wielded one. 'It's balanced because vampiric weapons are powerful!'. If you're going to keep the unwield effects then at least give a 'woah that's a distortion weapon, are you sure you want to wield it?' prompt.

Clearly to avoid distortion weapon banishment I should stash all glowing weapons until ~clvl20 when I feel like the abyss would be survivable and only then go back to id them by wielding them. And selling things is too tedious!

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 03:22

How might one adapt to take advantage of distortion?

And what if it's on a scythe or halbaerd or some other weaker weapon?

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 03:25

smock wrote:How might one adapt to take advantage of distortion?

And what if it's on a scythe or halbaerd or some other weaker weapon?

Why bother wield identifying weak weapons in the first place?
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 04:32

bobross419 wrote:Why bother wield identifying weak weapons in the first place?

Because you started with a +0 unbranded spear? If you're going to do melee at all, you have to upgrade sometime. And you have to identify the brands of potential upgrade weapons somehow, whether that's by watching monsters use them on you or wielding them yourself.

I have no idea why weapons that can't butcher can spawn with distortion. Distortion unwield is yet another reason why being a fighter-type is a losing proposition compared to being any type of ranged character, but putting the brand on a blunt or piercing weapon is just mean. The only workarounds for that kind of problem fall into the category of 'dumb luck'. A fighter-type can't continue the game with a non-butchering distortion weapon, but they can't refrain from trying out non-butchering unknown-ego weapons if they find one because they don't have another source of damage to fall back on other than their weapon.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 05:16

minmay wrote:
lazorexplosion wrote:It's a bit like if vampiric weapons didn't stop you from wielding them so you sometimes instantly starve to death because you unwittingly wielded one. 'It's balanced because vampiric weapons are powerful!'.

You get a distortion unwield effect by unwielding distorton, not by wielding it, which means you do get a warning.

Except when you have to unwield it to butcher chunks... Yeah, it's real handy to have a warning then. "Are you sure you want to unwield the distortion weapon, or would you rather starve?"

minmay wrote:
lazorexplosion wrote:Clearly to avoid distortion weapon banishment I should stash all glowing weapons until ~clvl20 when I feel like the abyss would be survivable and only then go back to id them by wielding them.

Clearly that would be incredibly stupid play because it would mean using only the crappiest weapons until ~clvl20. Nobody's going to take your complaints seriously if they consist of this nonsense.

So reducto ad absurdum you cannot avoid the possibility of fatal banishments caused by unwittingly wielding distortion weapons... That's the freaking point.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 15:41

lazorexplosion wrote:
minmay wrote:
lazorexplosion wrote:It's a bit like if vampiric weapons didn't stop you from wielding them so you sometimes instantly starve to death because you unwittingly wielded one. 'It's balanced because vampiric weapons are powerful!'.

You get a distortion unwield effect by unwielding distorton, not by wielding it, which means you do get a warning.

Except when you have to unwield it to butcher chunks... Yeah, it's real handy to have a warning then. "Are you sure you want to unwield the distortion weapon, or would you rather starve?"

minmay wrote:
lazorexplosion wrote:Clearly to avoid distortion weapon banishment I should stash all glowing weapons until ~clvl20 when I feel like the abyss would be survivable and only then go back to id them by wielding them.

Clearly that would be incredibly stupid play because it would mean using only the crappiest weapons until ~clvl20. Nobody's going to take your complaints seriously if they consist of this nonsense.

So reducto ad absurdum you cannot avoid the possibility of fatal banishments caused by unwittingly wielding distortion weapons... That's the freaking point.

Several posters explained, with different details, how this is not an issue. Where are your stories of starving to death?

This is a non-issue, and should be closed.

Return to Game Design Discussion