Redesign Proposal - Demigod (or, a new Species?)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 25th May 2018, 08:27

Re: Redesign Proposal - Demigod (or, a new Species?)

duvessa wrote:I submit that Chei's popularity is because of people being attracted to Chei's abilities, not Chei's slowness. Otherwise I'd expect nagas to be a lot more popular. Inheriting Chei's passives on this race gives you the slowness but not the abilities.

It might be, but I doubt it. I think it's all about the stats. As one of the people who loves Chei, I know for me it has everything to do with 15 all stats letting you do EVERYTHING. It's awesome. Good armour, big melee damage, whatever spells you want... sometimes I forget about the abilities entirely. Most Chei games I play I never even use Step From Time, although Slouch is good... I can't even name the other two they're so forgettable.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th May 2018, 15:21

Realz wrote:
duvessa wrote:I submit that Chei's popularity is because of people being attracted to Chei's abilities, not Chei's slowness. Otherwise I'd expect nagas to be a lot more popular. Inheriting Chei's passives on this race gives you the slowness but not the abilities.

It might be, but I doubt it. I think it's all about the stats. As one of the people who loves Chei, I know for me it has everything to do with 15 all stats letting you do EVERYTHING. It's awesome. Good armour, big melee damage, whatever spells you want... sometimes I forget about the abilities entirely. Most Chei games I play I never even use Step From Time, although Slouch is good... I can't even name the other two they're so forgettable.

You're missing out. Bend time slows adjacent things, it's really good, like haste but backwards, it's chei-haste :) Temporal distortion basically just skips some turns, which lets you have things with ranged attacks approach you, or lets slow-acting effects (like poison, sticky flame) happen with no impact on you, it's also instant, so you can use it as a position re-roll in the case where your position sucks, it's fairly situational, but very useful sometimes.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 25th May 2018, 15:25

I'm not very great at Crawl, so I may not be playing with a full deck here - but I also tend to take Chei for the stats. Slowing yourself intentionally is an obviously bad idea, nobody takes Chei so they can be slowed. I take Chei for the +15 all stats making you the Grand Lord of Multiclassing and use Slouch to deal with the slowness against enemies up to 2-3x faster than me, rather than taking Chei for her abilities from the start. Chei to me is the god of doing all the things, rather than a god of god abilities. You just need those abilities to counteract the drawbacks of Chei as you're prevented from using regular methods of retreating - i.e. Haste, or just running the f*** away.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th May 2018, 18:14

The stats are easily weaker than Bend Time, let alone all four of Chei's actives together.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 26th May 2018, 01:59

Realz wrote:cjo - thank you for your feedback! Conveying how it felt, what you liked, what you didn't like... is very helpful.

yay!
I wonder if you were subtly influenced by incorrect text that hasn't been changed to represent the correct flavour. That said, I mark this as a vote in favour of an alternative, custom species being kitted to match the mechanics more closely (instead of being Demigod).

Oh, I'm quite certain I was influenced by absence of specific flavor text. If flavor text is present, I'm likely to take it at face value or to expand on it. If it's missing, I'm likely to bring my own interpretation. The "child" feeling came about because my first two games both involved getting hit with game-changing passives which I would normally have to opt into...it felt a bit like being bossed around by a parent! That impression might easily fade with more games or with different flavor text though.

I'm playing another game, a bit slower this time. Earth elementalist. Started with Vehumet's passives, then got Sif Muna's channelling. Topped it off with Makhleb's greater destruction, which I will mostly ignore but probably ought to use once or twice just for kicks. I suppose getting Vehumet+channeling for EE is arguably overpowered, but to me it feels just right :) Imagine topping it off with something like Brother in Arms though. There's definitely a 'gambling' element to this race.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 01:59

Chei does suck without the actives but I think most people who play chei are attracted to having really big stats. big number feel good, etc

Whether or not those are actually the good part doesn't mean that's what makes people play the god. When people talk about liking chei characters, they mostly talk about stuff like casting fireball in plate and having huge EV. Typical players are drawn more to things like this than "slow down enemies".

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 6
duvessa, gammafunk, Hellmonk, nago, Ultraviolent4, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 05:02

Great, so we agree that most people aren't attracted to chei because they want the slowness. So why is the slowness attached to this species but not other gods' conducts, again?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 05:27

The simple reason is that both the stat gain and the slowness are Chei's passives, and that's what the species design says should happen.

Are people going to simply quit if they get Chei slowness + extra stats? I don't know. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. As the OP says, there might need to be balance tweaks.

In general, combining one god's passives with another god's actives may or may not make sense. I don't know.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 07:43

bel wrote:The simple reason is that both the stat gain and the slowness are Chei's passives, and that's what the species design says should happen.
But why are Chei and Hep's conducts/penalties included in their passives for this species, but the rest of the gods' aren't? You get TSO passives with no necromancy prohibition and Ru passives without the sacrifices.
I would have no problem with including conducts in the passives if it were consistently done for all the gods. In fact, I think giving the species one or more random god conducts could be a great way to keep it from being overpowered late-game, one of the big problems with Ds. But man, why only do it for two gods, and only go halfway in on Chei's conducts? Is it just because they're listed on the first ^ screen rather than the second?

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 09:08

duvessa wrote:But why are Chei and Hep's conducts/penalties included in their passives for this species, but the rest of the gods' aren't?

It was a judgement call on my part based on my sense that these penalties are part of the individual powers themselves. It's the same reason I wouldn't remove the Slow effect after using Trog's Berserk. Do you have specific tweaks you'd like to see that might improve the system and its resultant gameplay?

duvessa wrote:Is it just because they're listed on the first ^ screen rather than the second?

I hadn't really thought about that - it's an indicator perhaps, but I hadn't assigned any hard-and-fast rules based on anything like this. Should I be?

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 11:54

Random quick thoughts:
Getting passives at level 5 and reworking your build around it is pretty fun.
It's common to get an active you have very little use for, e.g. minor destruction on many ranged builds, or lesser servant on my summon specced DgWz. It's also common to get something that's useful on any build, like Draw Out Power. It makes balance wonky, and it's also less fun than the passives--you can't really make significant build changes based on a minor god power at level 10, even less so at level 15. Maybe make full derivation visible earlier? I may actually do such a build change on my most recent character, with Shadow Form for rune ninjaing, but it's suboptimal and not something I'd try on a streak.
There's also a problem where actives like Disaster Area are great if you already have the invocations, but often not worth it if you don't. Cutting out all the situational powers would be really limiting though. :\
Hep passive is bugged. If you save and load you get a second (third, eighth...) ancestor. But if any of them die the game crashes. It's unplayable after saving.
I did have fun. Thanks for the fork!

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 14:57

duvessa wrote:
bel wrote:The simple reason is that both the stat gain and the slowness are Chei's passives, and that's what the species design says should happen.
But why are Chei and Hep's conducts/penalties included in their passives for this species, but the rest of the gods' aren't? You get TSO passives with no necromancy prohibition and Ru passives without the sacrifices.
I would have no problem with including conducts in the passives if it were consistently done for all the gods. In fact, I think giving the species one or more random god conducts could be a great way to keep it from being overpowered late-game, one of the big problems with Ds. But man, why only do it for two gods, and only go halfway in on Chei's conducts? Is it just because they're listed on the first ^ screen rather than the second?

One working definition of conduct which the OP might be using is "stuff which you are allowed to do but will result in the god getting angry". So Chei's slow speed/stats would be a "passive", while "no potion/spell haste" would be a conduct. TSO's halo would be a passive while TSO forbidding necromancy would be a conduct.

Including Ru in the list is a bit weird, I agree about that.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 19:04

bel wrote:Including Ru in the list is a bit weird, I agree about that.

It is at least a little weird, and originally I didn't have anything Ru included because I dismissed anything that didn't come from a normal piety system. Gods like Uskayaw and Gozag are very far off the beaten path and their abilities don't make sense outside those systems. But after thinking about it more, Ru's abilities work just fine in a normal system, so why not? I think it's more fun to have them than to not have them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 19:59

Realz wrote:It was a judgement call on my part based on my sense that these penalties are part of the individual powers themselves. It's the same reason I wouldn't remove the Slow effect after using Trog's Berserk. Do you have specific tweaks you'd like to see that might improve the system and its resultant gameplay?
My specific tweak suggestion is to not slow you when you inherit Chei passives, and to not give you -10% HP when you inherit Hep passives, because those penalties are not part of the individual powers themselves. Alternatively, inherit all of the gods' conducts rather than just Hep's and part of Chei's. Either one is fine, I just strongly feel that the species should be consistent about adopting gods' penalties.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 20:17

Amilir wrote:Random quick thoughts:
Getting passives at level 5 and reworking your build around it is pretty fun.
It's common to get an active you have very little use for, e.g. minor destruction on many ranged builds, or lesser servant on my summon specced DgWz. It's also common to get something that's useful on any build, like Draw Out Power. It makes balance wonky, and it's also less fun than the passives--you can't really make significant build changes based on a minor god power at level 10, even less so at level 15. Maybe make full derivation visible earlier? I may actually do such a build change on my most recent character, with Shadow Form for rune ninjaing, but it's suboptimal and not something I'd try on a streak.
There's also a problem where actives like Disaster Area are great if you already have the invocations, but often not worth it if you don't. Cutting out all the situational powers would be really limiting though. :\
Hep passive is bugged. If you save and load you get a second (third, eighth...) ancestor. But if any of them die the game crashes. It's unplayable after saving.
I did have fun. Thanks for the fork!

Cool - thanks for playing! A lot of what you're saying is similar to what I'm hearing from elsewhere, and resonates with what I've felt from my own testing. The passives are the most impactful by nature and that's why they're up first... but the timing of subsequent abilities has felt a bit late. I'm going to move them up slightly, so that you can know sooner: XL's 5/9/13 instead of 5/10/15 (so, you enter the dungeon, then get something every 4 XL from then on).

As for the Hep bug... I did some significant testing and never ran into that... save/load seemed to work fine. Can you give any more detail about the circumstances?

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 20:38

duvessa wrote:My specific tweak suggestion is to not slow you when you inherit Chei passives, and to not give you -10% HP when you inherit Hep passives, because those penalties are not part of the individual powers themselves. Alternatively, inherit all of the gods' conducts rather than just Hep's and part of Chei's. Either one is fine, I just strongly feel that the species should be consistent about adopting gods' penalties.

I do very strongly disagree that all penalties are untied from individual powers and instead under the conduct heading. If one of the gods gave the horns mutation as a passive power upon joining, I would still view the enforced equipment restriction as part of the power, not the god's conduct. It may not be a formal distinction, but there is a distinction there nonetheless, and I feel very sour about assigning a hard rule like this. Not everything needs to be put in a neat little box. I've been wrong before and I'm willing to be wrong here, and I think the end result would probably be just removing Chei passive outright (Hep is probably fine without the penalty, even if quite good). It would be super unfun to adopt all conduct wholesale, which I imagine you already know, so I'm guessing that's not a genuine request.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 21:14

It is a genuine request. I'd find randomly getting conducts to potentially be more fun than randomly getting active god abilities - Chei's, Okawaru's, and Qazlal's could be kind of annoying, but you're already including two of those! I'd find it fun to get hit with Trog's/TSO's. In contrast most of the active god abilities (not the passives) make the game less fun imo. But again, I think excluding conducts altogether would also work fine, possibly better.
Realz wrote:I do very strongly disagree that all penalties are untied from individual powers and instead under the conduct heading. If one of the gods gave the horns mutation as a passive power upon joining, I would still view the enforced equipment restriction as part of the power, not the god's conduct.
Chei's passive power isn't horns. It's increased stats.
Divinely increasing stats doesn't inherently cause slowness, otherwise Zin's Vitalisation would slow you.
Divinely slowing you doesn't inherently cause increased stats, otherwise you wouldn't lose the stats when you're under Chei penance/wrath and he's still slowing you.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Doesnt

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 22:05

Realz wrote:As for the Hep bug... I did some significant testing and never ran into that... save/load seemed to work fine. Can you give any more detail about the circumstances?

Huh. Probably not you then?

Most likely problem: I used recall in a Labyrinth and saved in said Labyrinth before returning to Lair. I can't remember the exact details, but I think the ancestor was dead when I saved.

First crash log:
  Code:
ASSERT(hepliaklqana_ancestor() == MID_NOBODY) in 'mon-death.cc' at line 2805 failed.

Version: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.22-a0-427-g7544ccf3cf
Platform: Windows
Bits: 64
Game mode: normal
Tiles: yes

Command line: C:\Users\Richard\Games\DemigodRedesignCrawl-1.0.2\demigod_stone_soup_0.22\crawl.exe

RC options:
restart_after_game = true

Unable to get stack trace on this platform.

Compilation info:
<<<<<<<<<<<
Compiled with GCC 7.3.0 on May 21 2018 at 16:10:03
Build platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32
CFLAGS: -O2 -pipe -DWINMM_PLAY_SOUNDS -D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO -DUSE_TILE -DUSE_TILE_LOCAL -DUSE_SDL -DUSE_GL -DUSE_FT -DUSE_SOUND -Wall -Wformat-security -Wundef -Wno-array-bounds -Wno-format-zero-length -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls -Wno-tautological-unsigned-enum-zero-compare -Wno-parentheses -Wwrite-strings -Wshadow -pedantic -Wuninitialized -Iutil -I. -Irltiles -isystem contrib/install/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/SDL2 -isystem contrib/install/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/freetype2 -isystem contrib/install/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include -DWIZARD -DASSERTS -DPROPORTIONAL_FONT="contrib/fonts/DejaVuSans.ttf" -DMONOSPACED_FONT="contrib/fonts/DejaVuSansMono.ttf" -DREGEX_PCRE -DCLUA_BINDINGS
LDFLAGS: -O2
>>>>>>>>>>>

Place info:
branch = 5, depth = 4

Level id: Lair:4
Level build method = random_map_in_depth, level layout type  = corridors, absdepth0 = 13
Level vaults:
    cheibrodos_lair_overgrown_chateau
    layout_loops_ring
    grunt_forest_large_clearings

Markers:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
You miscast Summon Ice Beast. Your brain hurts!
Casting: Summon Ice Beast (slightly dangerous; 21% risk of failure)
You blink.
The minotaur hits your ice beast with a staff of fire!
The minotaur closely misses your ice beast.
The minotaur blocks your ice beast's attack.
Something hits your ice beast but does no damage.
Something barely misses your ice beast.
Your lightning spire shoots out a bolt of lightning at the minotaur!
The bolt of electricity hits the minotaur.
Your lightning spire disappears in a puff of smoke!
Your ice beast hits the minotaur but does no damage.
The minotaur hits your ice beast with a staff of fire.
The minotaur burns your ice beast! The minotaur gores your ice beast!
The minotaur hits your ice beast with a staff of fire!!
Your ice beast dies!
Casting: Blink (safe; 2% risk of failure)
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Casting: Blink (safe; 2% risk of failure)
A chill wind blows around you.
A chill wind blows around you.
You swap places.
The minotaur hits your ice beast with a staff of fire.
The minotaur gores your ice beast.
You see here 3 javelins.
Aiming: Summon Lightning Spire (slightly dangerous; 19% risk of failure)
Press: ? - help, Dir - move target cursor
An electric hum fills the air.
The minotaur hits your ice beast with a staff of fire!!
Your ice beast dies!
The minotaur closely misses your ice beast.
The minotaur gores your ice beast.
The minotaur hits your ice beast with a staff of fire!
The minotaur burns your ice beast! The minotaur gores your ice beast!
Your ice beast dies!
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Casting: Summon Lightning Spire (slightly dangerous; 19% risk of failure)
Aiming: Mephitic Cloud (safe; 4% risk of failure)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - minotaur
Aim: a minotaur, wielding a staff of fire, wearing a twisted crystal plate armour, wearing a shield and wearing a square cabochon amulet (heavily wounded, misshapen and mutated)
The ball explodes into a vile cloud!
The stinking cloud engulfs the minotaur.
The minotaur is heavily wounded.
The minotaur is engulfed in noxious fumes.
The bolt of electricity hits the minotaur. x2
The bolt of electricity hits your lightning spire.
Your lightning spire completely resists.
The minotaur completely misses your lightning spire.
The minotaur gores your lightning spire.
The bolt of electricity hits the minotaur. x2
The bolt of electricity hits your lightning spire.
Your lightning spire completely resists.
Casting: Mephitic Cloud (safe; 4% risk of failure)
Aiming: Mephitic Cloud (safe; 4% risk of failure)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - minotaur
Aim: a minotaur, wielding a staff of fire, wearing a twisted crystal plate armour, wearing a shield and wearing a square cabochon amulet (almost dead, misshapen and mutated)
The stinking cloud engulfs the minotaur.
The minotaur is almost dead.
The stinking cloud engulfs your lightning spire.
Your lightning spire appears unharmed.
Your lightning spire is moderately damaged.
Unknown command.
The minotaur appears confused.
The minotaur appears confused.
The minotaur dies!
Your kill strengthens your divinity.
Your magical contamination has completely faded away.
Your lightning spire disappears in a puff of smoke!
You see here a javelin.
f - a square cabochon amulet
e - 4 scrolls of remove curse (gained 1)
Things that are here:
a staff of fire; a twisted crystal plate armour; a shield
o - a twisted crystal plate armour
r - a staff of fire
There is an open door here.
You see here 2 javelins.
Chakide emerges from the mists of memory!
You see here a javelin.
You see here 4 javelins.
You swap places.
You see here 3 javelins.
You pick up the Papyrus of Ashen Flames and begin reading...
You add the spells Sticky Flame, Leda's Liquefaction, Iron Shot and Bolt of Fire to your library.
Things that are here:
a robe; an elf skeleton
You are feeling very hungry.
You pick up a book of Transfigurations and begin reading...
You add the spells Irradiate, Statue Form, Hydra Form and Dragon Form to your library.
Things that are here:
a club; a ring mail; a human skeleton
Items here: ) [[ ÷
a plate armour; a runed helmet; a battleaxe; a dwarf skeleton
z - a runed helmet
Things that are here:
a plate armour; an eveningstar; an orc skeleton
There is an escape hatch in the ceiling here.
Wear which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You start removing your armour.
You continue taking off your +0 helmet of see invisible. x4
You finish taking off your +0 helmet of see invisible.
You feel less perceptive.
You start putting on your armour.
You continue putting on your runed helmet. x5
You finish putting on your +0 helmet of see invisible.
You feel perceptive.
You continue taking off your +0 helmet of see invisible. x4
You finish taking off your +0 helmet of see invisible.
You feel less perceptive.
You continue putting on your +0 helmet of see invisible. x5
You finish putting on your +0 helmet of see invisible.
You feel perceptive.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Drop what? 48/52 slots (_ for help) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You drop a +0 helmet of see invisible.
Unknown command.
You continue taking off your +2 robe of cold resistance. x4
You finish taking off your +2 robe of cold resistance.
You feel less resistant to cold.
You continue putting on your twisted crystal plate armour. x5
You finish putting on the +1 crystal plate armour "Olaul" {rN+ rCorr}.
You continue taking off the +1 crystal plate armour "Olaul" {rN+ rCorr}. x4
You finish taking off the +1 crystal plate armour "Olaul" {rN+ rCorr}.
You continue putting on your +2 robe of cold resistance. x5
You finish putting on your +2 robe of cold resistance.
You feel resistant to cold.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
You swap places.
Things that are here:
a robe; an elf skeleton
You see here 3 javelins.
You hear the creaking of ancient gears!
You see here a javelin.
You see here 2 javelins.
You see here a javelin.
Okay, then.
The +8 long sword of the Globe {venom, Dex+3} stops dripping with poison.
Your +6 rapier of venom begins to drip with poison!
a - a +6 rapier of venom (weapon)
Your +6 rapier of venom stops dripping with poison.
You feel your magic capacity increase.
b - an uncursed staff of power (weapon)
Adjust (i)tems, (s)pells, or (a)bilities?
Adjust which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
a - a +6 rapier of venom
Adjust to which letter?  (? for menu, Esc to quit)
b - a +6 rapier of venom; a - an uncursed staff of power (weapon)
You continue taking off your +0 buckler. x4
You finish taking off your +0 buckler.
You start putting on your armour. You continue putting on your shield. x5
You finish putting on your +0 shield.
Okay, then.
You start removing your armour. You continue taking off your +0 shield. x4
You finish taking off your +0 shield.
You continue putting on your +0 buckler. x5
You finish putting on your +0 buckler.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
You see here a shield.
You swap places.
You see here 2 javelins.
You see here a javelin.
You see here 4 javelins.
You see here 3 javelins.
You see here a +0 helmet of see invisible.
As you read the scroll of identify, it crumbles to dust.
f - a cursed amulet of the acrobat
Search for what [Enter for "."]? int
Unknown command.
Okay, then.
Autopickup is now off.
Saving game... please wait.
Welcome back, Ami the Demigod Wizard.
 forms a fragment of your life essence into the memory of your ancestor, Chakide!
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.
That item cannot be evoked!
Press: ? - help, v - describe, . - travel
Here: Chakide the battlemage, wielding a quarterstaff (friendly)
The floor, spattered with blood.
This spell is very dangerous to cast!
Memorise Bolt of Fire, consuming 6 spell levels and leaving 11?
You start memorising the spell. You continue memorising. x6
You finish memorising. Spell assigned to 'h'.
You start resting.
HP restored.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
You swap places.
You swap places.
Things that are here:
a plate armour; an eveningstar
You swap places.
You see here a +0 helmet of see invisible.
Welcome back to the Lair of Beasts!
There is an empty arch of ancient stone here.
Items here: ) === ?
2 scrolls of enchant weapon; an uncursed ring of ice; an uncursed ring of resist corrosion; a +3 ring of dexterity
the +3 trident of Cegoletaq {flame, rN+ MR+}
Okay, then.
You swap places.
You are near starving!
You found a shaft!
You now have 429 gold pieces (gained 14).
c - a scroll of enchant weapon
You swap places.
You swap places.
Chakide hits the fungus with a quarterstaff!
You swap places.
You are starving!
You need to eat something NOW!
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
You eat one of the 24 rations. That ration really hit the spot!
You swap places.
A spiny frog comes into view.
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
A spiny frog is nearby!
Unknown command.
Cast which spell? (? or * to list)
Aiming: Magic Dart (safe; 1% risk of failure)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - spiny frog
Aim: a spiny frog (resting)
The magic dart hits the spiny frog.
The spiny frog gives a loud, deep croak!
Casting: Magic Dart (safe; 1% risk of failure)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - spiny frog
Aim: a spiny frog
The floor.
Aiming: Confuse (safe; 1% risk of failure)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, p - spiny frog
The spiny frog barely resists.
Casting: Confuse (safe; 1% risk of failure)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line
The spiny frog is lightly wounded.
Chakide casts a spell at the spiny frog.
The puff of frost hits the spiny frog. The spiny frog stings you!
Aim: a spiny frog (lightly wounded, chance to defeat MR: 80%)
The spiny frog appears confused.
Chakide hits the spiny frog with a quarterstaff!
The puff of frost hits the spiny frog. You block the spiny frog's attack.
Aim: a spiny frog (severely wounded, confused)
The spiny frog is severely wounded.
The spiny frog dies!
You can't see any susceptible monsters within range! (Use Z to cast anyway.)
You see here a spiny frog corpse.
Magic restored.
You swap places.
You swap places.
You swap places.
You swap places.
A komodo dragon comes into view.
A komodo dragon is nearby!
Unknown command.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - komodo dragon
Aim: a komodo dragon (resting)
The magic dart hits the komodo dragon.
The komodo dragon is lightly wounded.
Chakide hits the bush with a quarterstaff!
Found a scroll of identify.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - komodo dragon
Aim: a komodo dragon (lightly wounded, chance to defeat MR: 65%)
The komodo dragon appears confused.
Aim: a komodo dragon (lightly wounded, confused)
You swap places.
Chakide points at the komodo dragon and mumbles some strange words.
The puff of frost hits the komodo dragon.
Chakide casts a spell at the komodo dragon.
You swap places.
Chakide hits the komodo dragon with a quarterstaff.
You feel your magic capacity decrease.
Your +6 rapier of venom begins to drip with poison!
b - a +6 rapier of venom (weapon)
Chakide gestures at the komodo dragon while chanting.
The komodo dragon bites you but does no damage.
Chakide hits the komodo dragon with a quarterstaff!
The komodo dragon dies!
You see here a komodo dragon corpse.
That item cannot be evoked!
z - a scroll of identify
You swap places.
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
You see here a komodo dragon corpse.
You butcher the komodo dragon corpse.
B - 5 chunks of flesh
You swap places.
You swap places.
You swap places.
Chakide completely misses something.
You see here a scroll of noise.
Key pressed, stopping explore.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Adjust (i)tems, (s)pells, or (a)bilities?
Adjust which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
d - the +8 long sword of the Globe {venom, Dex+3}
Adjust to which letter?  (? for menu, Esc to quit)
b - the +8 long sword of the Globe {venom, Dex+3}
d - a +6 rapier of venom (weapon)
You hear a blaring wail to the southeast.
You swap places.
Unknown command.
a - an uncursed staff of power (weapon)
A swamp worm comes into view. x2
There are monsters nearby!
Unknown command.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - swamp worm
Aim: a swamp worm (hasn't noticed you)
The magic dart hits the swamp worm.
The swamp worm is lightly wounded.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - swamp worm
Aim: a swamp worm (lightly wounded)
A swamp worm comes into view.
The swamp worm is moderately wounded.
The swamp worm bites Chakide!!
The swamp worm throws harpoon shot at you.
The harpoon shot hits you!
You are yanked forward by the harpoon shot.
Here: a swamp worm (moderately wounded)
The floor.
Aim: a swamp worm (moderately wounded, chance to defeat MR: 85%)
The swamp worm appears confused.
Chakide hits the swamp worm with a quarterstaff!!
The swamp worm bites you!!
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - swamp worm, p - swamp worm
Aim: a swamp worm (chance to defeat MR: 85%)
The swamp worm appears confused. The swamp worm bites you!
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Chakide gestures at the swamp worm while chanting.
The stone arrow hits the swamp worm.
Chakide hits the swamp worm with a quarterstaff!
The swamp worm dies!
Aim: a swamp worm (confused)
Aim: a swamp worm (lightly wounded, confused)
Aim: a swamp worm (heavily wounded, confused)
The swamp worm is severely wounded.
Aim: a swamp worm (severely wounded, confused)
Chakide casts a spell at the swamp worm.
The puff of frost hits the swamp worm.
Aim: a swamp worm (almost dead, confused)
You kill the swamp worm!
Your Fire Magic skill increases to level 1!
You see here a swamp worm corpse.
You butcher the swamp worm corpse.
B - 9 chunks of flesh (gained 4)
The swamp worm is almost dead.
Chakide points at the swamp worm and mumbles some strange words.
The swamp worm dies!
There is a fountain of clear blue water here.
Here: Chakide the battlemage, wielding a quarterstaff (heavily damaged, friendly)
The floor.
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Here: Chakide the battlemage, wielding a quarterstaff (heavily damaged, friendly)
The floor.
Unknown command.
Aim: a swamp worm (hasn't noticed you, chance to defeat MR: 85%)
You swap places.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, p - swamp worm
Chakide completely misses the swamp worm.
The swamp worm is heavily wounded.
The swamp worm dies!
An electric eel comes into view.
The electric eel shoots out a bolt of lightning at you!
The bolt of electricity hits Chakide. The bolt of electricity hits you!
Chakide points at the electric eel and mumbles some strange words.
The puff of frost hits the electric eel.
You see here 2 chunks of flesh.
Here: an electric eel (moderately wounded)
Some shallow water.
Unknown command.
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Some shallow water.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Chakide casts a spell at the electric eel.
The puff of frost misses the electric eel.
You start resting.
Magic restored.
You start resting.
Some of the chunks of flesh in your inventory have rotted away.
All of the chunks of flesh in your inventory have rotted away.
You swap places.
Found a staircase to the Swamp.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - electric eel
Aim: an electric eel (thin mist, hasn't noticed you, chance to defeat MR: 85%)
The electric eel appears confused.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - electric eel
Aim: an electric eel (thin mist, confused)
The magic dart hits the electric eel.
The electric eel is lightly wounded.
Aim: an electric eel (thin mist, heavily wounded, confused)
The electric eel is severely wounded.
The electric eel dies!
You hear a splash.
Your Shields skill increases to level 10!
Move the cursor to view the level map, or type ? for a list of commands.
Returning to the game...
HP restored.
2 scrolls of enchant weapon; an uncursed ring of ice; an uncursed ring of resist corrosion; a +3 ring of dexterity
B - the +3 trident of Cegoletaq {flame, rN+ MR+}
G - a +3 ring of dexterity; J - an uncursed ring of ice
Y - an uncursed ring of resist corrosion
c - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon (gained 2)
Drop what? 52/52 slots (_ for help) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You drop the +1 crystal plate armour "Olaul" {rN+ rCorr}.
o - the +1 crystal plate armour "Olaul" {rN+ rCorr}
Unknown command.
You swap places.
You enter the shallow water.
Moving in this stuff is going to be slow.
You butcher the electric eel corpse.
o - 2 chunks of flesh
You swap places.
Eating one of 2 chunks of flesh. You eat one of the 2 chunks of flesh. This raw flesh tastes terrible.
You swap places.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Unknown command.
Returning to the game...
You swap places.
You swap places.
Key pressed, stopping travel.
Unknown command.
Returning to the game...
You swap places.
There is a stone staircase leading down here.
You climb downwards.
2 hornets come into view.
There is a stone staircase leading up here.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - hornet
Aim: a hornet (resting, chance to defeat MR: 73%)
The hornet buzzes angrily.
The hornet appears confused.
The hornet buzzes angrily.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - hornet, p - hornet
Aim: a hornet (chance to defeat MR: 73%)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - hornet
Aim: a hornet (confused)
The magic dart hits the hornet.
Chakide hits the hornet with a quarterstaff.
The hornet stings Chakide but does no damage.
Aim: a hornet (lightly wounded, confused)
Really fire in your ally Chakide's direction?
Okay, then.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - hornet, p - hornet
The hornet is lightly wounded.
The hornet barely misses Chakide.
Chakide casts a spell at the hornet.
The puff of frost hits the hornet. The hornet appears unharmed.
The hornet stings the plant!
Chakide points at the hornet and mumbles some strange words.
The stone arrow hits the hornet.
Chakide gestures at the hornet while chanting.
The hornet dies!
The hornet stings the plant.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, p - hornet
The hornet is moderately wounded.
The puff of frost hits the hornet.
The hornet is severely wounded.
Chakide closely misses the hornet.
The hornet is almost dead.
The hornet stings the plant! Chakide closely misses the hornet.
The hornet completely misses Chakide.
Chakide hits the hornet with a quarterstaff!
The hornet dies!
You swap places.
You open the gate.
There is an open gate here.
Magic restored.
A crocodile comes into view.
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
A crocodile is nearby!
Unknown command.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - crocodile
Aim: a crocodile (resting, chance to defeat MR: 80%)
The crocodile barely resists.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - crocodile
Aim: a crocodile
The magic dart hits the crocodile.
Aim: a crocodile (chance to defeat MR: 80%)
The crocodile appears confused. The crocodile bites the fungus!
The +8 long sword of the Globe {venom, Dex+3} begins to drip with poison!
b - the +8 long sword of the Globe (weapon) {venom, Dex+3}
A six-headed hydra comes into view.
You slash the crocodile! The crocodile is poisoned.
The crocodile is moderately wounded.
The six-headed hydra roars!
The crocodile bites itself.
Chakide hits the fungus but does no damage.
You slash the crocodile!
The crocodile looks as sick as possible!
The crocodile is almost dead.
You kill the crocodile!
Chakide hits the fungus with a quarterstaff!!
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - six-headed hydra
Aim: a six-headed hydra (chance to defeat MR: 48%)
The six-headed hydra resists with some effort.
Chakide hits the fungus with a quarterstaff.
The six-headed hydra bites you!!
You block the six-headed hydra's attack.
The six-headed hydra completely misses you.
The six-headed hydra bites you! x3
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
You swap places.
Chakide hits the fungus with a quarterstaff!!
The fungus is destroyed!
Chakide hits the six-headed hydra with a quarterstaff!
The six-headed hydra bites Chakide but does no damage. x2
The six-headed hydra misses Chakide.
The six-headed hydra bites Chakide but does no damage.
The six-headed hydra bites Chakide. The six-headed hydra bites Chakide!
The six-headed hydra bites Chakide!
The six-headed hydra closely misses Chakide.
The six-headed hydra bites Chakide!
The six-headed hydra barely misses Chakide.
The six-headed hydra bites Chakide.
Chakide is destroyed!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Game state:

mouse_enabled: 0, waiting_for_command: 0, terminal_resized: 0
io_inited: 1, need_save: 1, saving_game: 0, updating_scores: 0:
seen_hups: 0, map_stat_gen: 0, type: 1, arena_suspended: 0

prev_cmd = CMD_MOVE_DOWN_LEFT
repeat_cmd = CMD_NO_CMD

Monster 'Chakide the battlemage' (41, 28) [midx = 148] currently acting:

<<<<<<<<<
Name: Chakide
Base name: battlemage
Full name: Chakide the battlemage

On/in/over feature: floor

Foe: Monster 'six-headed hydra' (41, 27) [midx = 146]
Target: (41, 27)
At target: same as foe

Inventory:

Spells:
    slot #0: Throw Frost

slot #1: Stone Arrow

attitude: 4, behaviour: 2, number: 0, flags: 0x4000020411
colour: -1, foe_memory: 665, shield_blocks:0, experience: 847
god: Hepliaklqana, seen_context: 0
>>>>>>>>>

Foe:
<<<<<<<<<
Name: six-headed hydra
Base name: six-headed hydra
Full name: six-headed hydra

Foe: player
Target: (39, 30)
At target: player

Inventory:

attitude: 0, behaviour: 2, number: 6, flags: 0x4000000410
colour: -1, foe_memory: 473, shield_blocks:0, experience: 0
god: No God, seen_context: 0
>>>>>>>>>

Player:
{{{{{{{{{{{
Name:    [Ami]
Species: Demigod
Job:     Wizard

HP: 23/82; mods: 0/0
MP: 45/47; mod: 0
Stats: 13 (13) 30 (30) 16 (16)
Position: (39, 30), god:  (27), turn_is_over: 1, banished: 0
Standing on/in/over feature: floor

Skills (mode: manual)
Name            | can_train | train | training | level | points | progress
Fighting        |     X     |   0   |     0    |    8  |   2182 | 42/535
Short Blades    |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Long Blades     |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Axes            |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Maces & Flails  |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Polearms        |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Staves          |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Slings          |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Bows            |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Crossbows       |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Throwing        |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Armour          |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Dodging         |     X     |   0   |     0    |    2  |    284 | 134/150
Stealth         |     X     |   0   |     0    |    2  |    287 | 137/150
Shields         |     X     |   1   |    25    |   10  |   2835 | 35/650
Unarmed Combat  |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Spellcasting    |     X     |   1   |    25    |   13  |   4626 | 380/799
Conjurations    |     X     |   1   |    25    |    4  |    678 | 178/250
Hexes           |     X     |   0   |     0    |   10  |   2994 | 194/650
Charms          |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Summonings      |     X     |   0   |     0    |    1  |     51 | 1/100
Necromancy      |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Translocations  |     X     |   0   |     0    |    1  |     58 | 8/100
Transmutations  |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Fire Magic      |     X     |   1   |    25    |    1  |    109 | 59/100
Ice Magic       |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Air Magic       |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |     11 | 11/50
Earth Magic     |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Poison Magic    |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |     10 | 10/50
Invocations     |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/42
Evocations      |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/59

Spell bugs:

Durations:

Attributes:
    #12: 766
    #13: 337
    #23: 6370
    #24: 1906584523
    #27: 33438
    #49: 887
    #59: 1

Mutations:

Inventory bugs:

Equipment:
    eq slot #0, inv slot #1: +8 long sword of the Globe {venom, Dex+3}
    eq slot #1, inv slot #28: +0 cloak
    eq slot #2, inv slot #38: +0 helmet of see invisible
    eq slot #3, inv slot #47: +0 pair of gloves
    eq slot #5, inv slot #40: +0 buckler
    eq slot #6, inv slot #30: +2 robe of cold resistance
    eq slot #7, inv slot #44: ring of magical power
    eq slot #8, inv slot #24: ring of magical power
    eq slot #9, inv slot #23: amulet "Puros" {RegenMP MR+ Str+4 Int+2}

}}}}}}}}}}}

Screenshot:
         ...     ..
          ...    .##
           ..    .P  #.
            P.  #.##...
             .##.....
              .....#.##
            ###D.......
         ####.#RR#
         #......##
         #...@###
     ♣++##...##
    #♣..♣##...#
 .. #....♣#..##
..≈≈#≈.†..#..##
.P≈≈#≈P...'...#
y.≈≈#†≈...'...#
..≈≈#≈≈...'..##
.   #≈...P#.P#
    #....8#.P#
    ♣P.<.##.##
    #♣#######

clua stack:

dlua stack:

Lua persistent data:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
bailey_type: bailey_axe
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lua marker contents:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

See line 269 for an ancestor spawning on load. " forms a fragment of your life essence into the memory of your ancestor, Chakide!" I think the previous ancestor was there when I went back to lair.

char limit. see next post

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 22:05

Last crash log (reloaded from crawl's on-floor anti-crash save eight times. actually I'm not entirely sure ancestors were spawning on normal save and load):
  Code:
ASSERT(hepliaklqana_ancestor() == MID_NOBODY) in 'mon-death.cc' at line 2805 failed.

Version: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.22-a0-427-g7544ccf3cf
Platform: Windows
Bits: 64
Game mode: normal
Tiles: yes

Command line: C:\Users\Richard\Games\DemigodRedesignCrawl-1.0.2\demigod_stone_soup_0.22\crawl.exe

RC options:
restart_after_game = true

Compilation info:
<<<<<<<<<<<
Compiled with GCC 7.3.0 on May 21 2018 at 16:10:03
Build platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32
CFLAGS: -O2 -pipe -DWINMM_PLAY_SOUNDS -D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO -DUSE_TILE -DUSE_TILE_LOCAL -DUSE_SDL -DUSE_GL -DUSE_FT -DUSE_SOUND -Wall -Wformat-security -Wundef -Wno-array-bounds -Wno-format-zero-length -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls -Wno-tautological-unsigned-enum-zero-compare -Wno-parentheses -Wwrite-strings -Wshadow -pedantic -Wuninitialized -Iutil -I. -Irltiles -isystem contrib/install/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/SDL2 -isystem contrib/install/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/freetype2 -isystem contrib/install/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include -DWIZARD -DASSERTS -DPROPORTIONAL_FONT="contrib/fonts/DejaVuSans.ttf" -DMONOSPACED_FONT="contrib/fonts/DejaVuSansMono.ttf" -DREGEX_PCRE -DCLUA_BINDINGS
LDFLAGS: -O2
>>>>>>>>>>>

Place info:
branch = 5, depth = 4

Level id: Lair:4
Level build method = random_map_in_depth, level layout type  = corridors, absdepth0 = 13
Level vaults:
    cheibrodos_lair_overgrown_chateau
    layout_loops_ring
    grunt_forest_large_clearings

Markers:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unknown command.
a - an uncursed staff of power (weapon)
A swamp worm comes into view. x2
Unknown command.
Aim: a swamp worm (hasn't noticed you)
The swamp worm throws harpoon shot at you.
The harpoon shot hits you!
You are yanked forward by the harpoon shot.
Here: a swamp worm (moderately wounded)
The floor.
Aim: a swamp worm (moderately wounded, chance to defeat MR: 85%)
The swamp worm bites you!!
The swamp worm appears confused. The swamp worm bites you!
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Chakide hits the swamp worm with a quarterstaff!
The swamp worm dies!
Aim: a swamp worm (heavily wounded, confused)
Aim: a swamp worm (almost dead, confused)
You kill the swamp worm!
Your Fire Magic skill increases to level 1!
B - 9 chunks of flesh (gained 4)
The swamp worm is almost dead.
The swamp worm dies!
The floor.
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
The floor.
Unknown command.
Aim: a swamp worm (hasn't noticed you, chance to defeat MR: 85%)
You swap places.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, p - swamp worm
Chakide completely misses the swamp worm.
The swamp worm is heavily wounded.
The swamp worm dies!
An electric eel comes into view.
Chakide points at the electric eel and mumbles some strange words.
You see here 2 chunks of flesh.
Some shallow water.
Unknown command.
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Some shallow water.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
The puff of frost misses the electric eel.
You start resting.
Magic restored.
You start resting.
Some of the chunks of flesh in your inventory have rotted away.
You swap places.
Found a staircase to the Swamp.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - electric eel
Aim: an electric eel (thin mist, hasn't noticed you, chance to defeat MR: 85%)
The electric eel appears confused.
Aim: an electric eel (thin mist, confused)
The electric eel is lightly wounded.
Aim: an electric eel (thin mist, heavily wounded, confused)
The electric eel is severely wounded.
The electric eel dies!
You hear a splash.
Your Shields skill increases to level 10!
Returning to the game...
HP restored.
G - a +3 ring of dexterity; J - an uncursed ring of ice
c - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon (gained 2)
o - the +1 crystal plate armour "Olaul" {rN+ rCorr}
Unknown command.
You swap places.
You enter the shallow water.
Moving in this stuff is going to be slow.
You butcher the electric eel corpse.
o - 2 chunks of flesh
You swap places.
Eating one of 2 chunks of flesh. You eat one of the 2 chunks of flesh. This raw flesh tastes terrible.
You swap places.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Unknown command.
Returning to the game...
You swap places.
You swap places.
Key pressed, stopping travel.
Unknown command.
Returning to the game...
You swap places.
 forms a fragment of your life essence into the memory of your ancestor, Chakide!
Found a stone staircase leading up.
2 hornets come into view.
The hornet buzzes angrily. x2
You climb upwards.
Unknown command.
You swap places.
You swap places.
Okay, then.
You swap places.
You climb downwards. Chakide completely misses the hornet. The hornet closely misses Chakide.
The hornet closely misses Chakide. Chakide misses the hornet.
You climb upwards.
You climb downwards. The hornet stings you! You feel yourself slow down. The hornet barely misses you.
The hornet misses you.
The hornet stings you but does no damage.
The hornet stings you!
You are poisoned.
You feel as though you will be slow longer.
Chakide barely misses the hornet. The hornet stings you.
The hornet stings you!
You climb upwards. You feel sick.
You blink. You feel sick.
The puff of frost hits the hornet. The hornet stings Chakide!
The hornet stings Chakide!
The hornet dies!
You start resting. You feel sick. x2
You feel yourself speed up.
You feel sick.
You start resting.
You feel sick. x3
You are no longer poisoned.
You start resting.
You are feeling hungry.
What are your orders?
 t - Shout!
Orders for allies: a - Attack new target.
                   r - Retreat!             s - Stop attacking.
                   g - Guard the area.      f - Follow me.
 Anything else - Cancel.
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
What are your orders?
 t - Shout!
Orders for allies: a - Attack new target.
                   r - Retreat!             s - Stop attacking.
                   g - Guard the area.      f - Follow me.
 Anything else - Cancel.
Retreat in which direction?
Press: ? - help, Dir - move target cursor
Fall back!
Chakide is recalled.
Remember Chakide's name as what? Chakid
Yes, Chakid is definitely a better name.
Was Chakid a) male, b) female, or c) neither? (Currently male.)
Okay, then.
Press: ? - help, . - travel
You can't see that place.
[the floor.]
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Remember Chakid's name as what? Chakid
Okay, then.
Was Chakid a) male, b) female, or c) neither? (Currently male.)
Okay, then.
You swap places.
You swap places.
The floor.
You swap places.
The floor.
You swap places.
 forms a fragment of your life essence into the memory of your ancestor, Chakid!
Okay, then.
Aim: a hornet (chance to defeat MR: 73%)
Aim: a hornet (confused, chance to defeat MR: 73%)
The hornet barely misses Chakide. Chakid closely misses the hornet.
Unknown command.
Chakid gestures at the hornet while chanting.
Unknown command.
Chakid barely misses the hornet.
Chakide hits the hornet with a quarterstaff!!
The hornet dies!
You see here a hornet corpse.
You climb upwards.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
You swap places.
Chakid is recalled.
You swap places.
You swap places.
Chakid is recalled.
You swap places.
You swap places.
You swap places.
You swap places.
You swap places.
You swap places.
You swap places.
You swap places.
Press: ? - help, . - travel
You can't see that place.
[a rock wall.]
Okay, then.
Okay, then.
Evoke which item? (* to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Okay, then.
Chakid hits the plant but does no damage.
You climb upwards.
You climb downwards.
Save game and exit?
Okay, then.
Save game and exit?
You swap places.
You swap places.
Chakid hits the plant with a quarterstaff!
You swap places.
Chakide hits the plant with a quarterstaff.
You swap places.
You swap places.
You swap places.
The bullfrog gives a loud, deep croak!
The floor.
You open the large door.
A porcupine comes into view.
Chakide hits the plant with a quarterstaff!!
There is a large open door here.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - porcupine
Aim: a porcupine
The magic dart hits the porcupine.
The porcupine is moderately wounded.
The porcupine bites you but does no damage.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - porcupine
Aim: a porcupine (lightly wounded)
The porcupine is heavily wounded.
The porcupine barely misses you.
Aim: a porcupine (heavily wounded)
The porcupine is severely wounded.
Chakid is struck by the porcupine's spines.
Chakid barely misses the porcupine. Chakid misses the porcupine. The porcupine misses you.
Aim: a porcupine (severely wounded)
You kill the porcupine!
You open the large door.
There is a large open door here.
The crocodile barely resists.
The crocodile appears confused.
You strike the helpless crocodile from behind!
You hit the crocodile.
The crocodile is lightly wounded.
Chakid casts a spell at the crocodile.
The puff of frost hits the crocodile.
The +8 long sword of the Globe {venom, Dex+3} begins to drip with poison!
The plant is destroyed!
Chakid gestures at the crocodile while chanting.
The stone arrow hits the crocodile.
The crocodile dies!
The rime drake bites you.
Chakide hits the plant with a quarterstaff!
You closely miss the rime drake.
The rime drake bites you but does no damage.
Chakid gestures at the rime drake while chanting.
The puff of frost hits the rime drake. The rime drake resists.
You barely miss the rime drake.
The rime drake is lightly wounded.
Chakid gestures at the rime drake while chanting.
The stone arrow hits the rime drake.
Chakid hits the plant with a quarterstaff.
You hit the rime drake. The rime drake is poisoned.
The rime drake is severely wounded.
Chakid hits the plant with a quarterstaff!!
The rime drake breathes ice at you.
You block the flash freeze.
Chakid points at the rime drake and mumbles some strange words.
The rime drake barely misses Chakid.
You barely miss the rime drake.
The rime drake is severely wounded.
Chakide hits the plant but does no damage.
Chakid hits the rime drake with a quarterstaff!
The rime drake dies!
You hit the crocodile but do no damage. The crocodile is poisoned.
Chakide hits the crocodile with a quarterstaff.
Chakid hits the crocodile with a quarterstaff!
The crocodile closely misses Chakid.
Chakide points at the crocodile and mumbles some strange words.
The puff of frost hits the crocodile.
The crocodile dies!
You block the hornet's attack.
You see here a rime drake corpse.
You butcher the rime drake corpse. The hornet barely misses you.
The plant is destroyed!
Chakide casts a spell at the hornet.
Things that are here:
4 chunks of flesh; a rime drake skeleton
You hit the hornet. The hornet is poisoned.
The hornet is moderately wounded.
The hornet stings you!
You are poisoned.
You feel yourself slow down. The hornet closely misses you.
Chakide hits the bullfrog with a quarterstaff!
Aim: a hornet (heavily wounded, poisoned, chance to defeat MR: 73%)
The hornet appears confused. You feel sick.
The hornet stings the spiny frog but does no damage.
The bullfrog hits Chakide.
A bullfrog comes into view.
The hornet buzzes around in tight circles.
Unknown command.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - spiny frog, p - hornet
Aim: a spiny frog (lightly wounded, chance to defeat MR: 80%)
The spiny frog appears confused.
The bullfrog croaks.
You feel yourself speed up.
You feel sick.
You hear a loud, deep croak!
The bullfrog hits Chakide. The spiny frog stings Chakide!
The bullfrog hits Chakide.
Unknown command.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - bullfrog, p - spiny frog
Aim: a bullfrog (severely wounded, chance to defeat MR: 80%)
The bullfrog appears confused.
The puff of frost hits the spiny frog.
You don't know that spell.
Aiming: Mephitic Cloud (safe; 3% risk of failure)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - spiny frog, p - bullfrog
Aim: a spiny frog (severely wounded, confused)
That beam is likely to hit you. Continue anyway?
The stinking cloud engulfs the spiny frog.
The spiny frog appears unharmed.
The stinking cloud engulfs you! The stinking cloud engulfs Chakide.
Chakide appears unharmed.
Chakide is moderately damaged.
The stinking cloud engulfs the bullfrog.
The bullfrog is severely wounded.
You feel sick.
The bullfrog is engulfed in noxious fumes.
The bullfrog appears confused. The spiny frog stings you!
The hornet is engulfed in noxious fumes.
The hornet appears confused. The hornet stings the spiny frog. Chakide barely misses the spiny frog.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
You feel sick. The spiny frog stings the hornet!
The hornet is killed!
Your Fire Magic skill increases to level 2!
Chakide points at the spiny frog and mumbles some strange words.
The stone arrow hits the spiny frog.
The spiny frog dies!
The bullfrog barely misses the bullfrog.
Chakide points at the bullfrog and mumbles some strange words.
The puff of frost misses the bullfrog. The puff of frost hits the bullfrog.
The bullfrog dies!
Your Conjurations skill increases to level 5!
o - 4 chunks of flesh
You feel sick.
Unknown command.
Really walk into that cloud of noxious fumes?
Okay, then.
You swap places.
Chakide hits the bullfrog with a quarterstaff!
Casting: Mephitic Cloud (safe; 3% risk of failure)
Aim: a spiny frog (chance to defeat MR: 80%)
The spiny frog barely resists. You feel sick. The spiny frog barely misses you.
Aim: a spiny frog (chance to defeat MR: 80%)
The spiny frog appears confused. The spiny frog completely misses you.
You hit the spiny frog. The spiny frog is poisoned.
You feel sick. The spiny frog stings you!
Chakid hits the plant with a quarterstaff! x2
Aim: a spiny frog (lightly wounded, poisoned, confused)
Aim: a spiny frog (lightly wounded, poisoned, confused)
You are feeling very hungry.
The spiny frog stings the plant.
Chakid points at the spiny frog and mumbles some strange words.
The stone arrow hits the spiny frog.
Aim: a spiny frog (heavily wounded, poisoned, confused)
You feel sick.
The plant is destroyed!
The spiny frog stings the plant!
The spiny frog stings the plant! The plant looks as sick as possible! The spiny frog poisons the plant!
Chakid completely misses the spiny frog.
Chakid hits the spiny frog with a quarterstaff!!
The spiny frog dies!
There is a dry fountain here.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - bullfrog
Aim: a bullfrog (heavily wounded, confused)
The magic dart hits the bullfrog.
The bullfrog is severely wounded.
You feel sick.
Chakide hits the bullfrog with a quarterstaff.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - bullfrog
Aim: a bullfrog (almost dead, confused)
The magic dart hits the bullfrog.
The bullfrog is almost dead.
Chakid hits the bullfrog with a quarterstaff!
The bullfrog dies!
You start resting. Eating one of 4 chunks of flesh. You eat one of the 4 chunks of flesh. This raw flesh tastes terrible. You feel sick.
The plant is destroyed!
You start resting.
You feel sick.
You are no longer poisoned.
You start resting.
You start resting.
You start resting.
You start resting.
You start resting.
You start resting.
A crocodile is nearby!
You swap places.
The crocodile bites the plant but does no damage.
The crocodile bites the plant.
Aim: a crocodile
The magic dart hits the crocodile.
The crocodile is lightly wounded.
Chakide casts a spell at the crocodile.
The puff of frost hits the crocodile. The crocodile barely misses Chakide.
Chakide casts a spell at the crocodile.
The stone arrow hits the crocodile. The crocodile closely misses Chakide.
Chakide hits the crocodile with a quarterstaff.
The crocodile barely misses Chakide.
Chakide hits the crocodile with a quarterstaff!
The crocodile dies!
Unknown command.
You swap places.
You swap places.
A rime drake comes into view.
You see here a crocodile corpse.
You butcher the crocodile corpse.
The plant is destroyed!
You see here 6 chunks of flesh.
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - rime drake
Aim: a rime drake (chance to defeat MR: 80%)
The rime drake appears confused.
The plant is destroyed!
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - rime drake
Aim: a rime drake (confused)
The magic dart hits the rime drake.
Aim: a rime drake (lightly wounded, confused)
The rime drake bites the plant but does no damage.
Chakide hits the plant with a quarterstaff! x2
The rime drake bites Chakide.
Chakide casts a spell at the rime drake.
Aim: a rime drake (lightly wounded, confused)
The rime drake is moderately wounded.
The plant is destroyed!
Chakide hits the rime drake with a quarterstaff.
The plant is destroyed!
Aim: a rime drake (heavily wounded, confused)
The rime drake is heavily wounded.
The rime drake misses you. You riposte. You hit the rime drake.
The rime drake is heavily wounded.
Chakide points at the rime drake and mumbles some strange words.
The stone arrow hits the rime drake.
You strike the helpless rime drake from behind!
You slash the rime drake!
You kill the rime drake!
You start resting.
You start resting.
The plant is destroyed!
You start resting.
Magic restored.
You start resting.
You hear a distant blaring wail to the north.
You start resting.
An eight-headed hydra comes into view.
An eight-headed hydra is nearby!
You swap places.
You see here a rime drake corpse.
You swap places.
The eight-headed hydra resists with some effort.
Chakide hits the plant with a quarterstaff! x2
The eight-headed hydra resists with some effort.
The eight-headed hydra bites Chakide! The eight-headed hydra bites Chakide.
The eight-headed hydra completely misses Chakide.
The eight-headed hydra bites Chakide!
The eight-headed hydra barely misses Chakide. x2
The eight-headed hydra bites Chakide. x2
The plant is destroyed!
You swap places.
Chakide points at the eight-headed hydra and mumbles some strange words.
The stone arrow hits the eight-headed hydra.
The eight-headed hydra misses Chakide.
The eight-headed hydra completely misses Chakide.
The eight-headed hydra bites Chakide!
Chakide is destroyed!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Game state:

mouse_enabled: 0, waiting_for_command: 0, terminal_resized: 0
io_inited: 1, need_save: 1, saving_game: 0, updating_scores: 0:
seen_hups: 0, map_stat_gen: 0, type: 1, arena_suspended: 0

prev_cmd = CMD_MOVE_DOWN_RIGHT
repeat_cmd = CMD_NO_CMD

Monster 'Chakide the battlemage' (18, 41) [midx = 152] currently acting:

<<<<<<<<<
Name: Chakide
Base name: battlemage
Full name: Chakide the battlemage

Foe: Monster 'eight-headed hydra' (18, 40) [midx = 11]
Target: (18, 40)
At target: same as foe

Inventory:

Spells:
    slot #0: Throw Frost

slot #1: Stone Arrow

attitude: 4, behaviour: 2, number: 0, flags: 0x4000020411
colour: -1, foe_memory: 834, shield_blocks:0, experience: 847
god: Hepliaklqana, seen_context: 0
>>>>>>>>>

Foe:
<<<<<<<<<
Name: eight-headed hydra
Base name: eight-headed hydra
Full name: eight-headed hydra

Foe: player
Target: (19, 43)
At target: player

Inventory:

attitude: 0, behaviour: 2, number: 8, flags: 0x4000000410
colour: -1, foe_memory: 455, shield_blocks:0, experience: 0
god: No God, seen_context: 0
>>>>>>>>>

Player:
{{{{{{{{{{{
Name:    [Ami]
Species: Demigod
Job:     Wizard

HP: 53/82; mods: 0/0
MP: 42/47; mod: 0
Stats: 13 (13) 30 (30) 16 (16)
Position: (19, 43), god:  (27), turn_is_over: 1, banished: 0
Standing on/in/over feature: floor

Skills (mode: manual)
Name            | can_train | train | training | level | points | progress
Fighting        |     X     |   0   |     0    |    8  |   2182 | 42/535
Short Blades    |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Long Blades     |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Axes            |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Maces & Flails  |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Polearms        |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Staves          |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Slings          |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Bows            |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Crossbows       |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Throwing        |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Armour          |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Dodging         |     X     |   0   |     0    |    2  |    284 | 134/150
Stealth         |     X     |   0   |     0    |    2  |    287 | 137/150
Shields         |     X     |   1   |    25    |   10  |   2944 | 144/650
Unarmed Combat  |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Spellcasting    |     X     |   1   |    25    |   13  |   4732 | 486/799
Conjurations    |     X     |   1   |    25    |    5  |    789 | 39/300
Hexes           |     X     |   0   |     0    |   10  |   2994 | 194/650
Charms          |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Summonings      |     X     |   0   |     0    |    1  |     51 | 1/100
Necromancy      |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Translocations  |     X     |   0   |     0    |    1  |     58 | 8/100
Transmutations  |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Fire Magic      |     X     |   1   |    25    |    2  |    219 | 69/150
Ice Magic       |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Air Magic       |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |     11 | 11/50
Earth Magic     |           |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/50
Poison Magic    |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |     10 | 10/50
Invocations     |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/42
Evocations      |     X     |   0   |     0    |    0  |      0 | 0/59

Spell bugs:

Durations:

Attributes:
    #12: 766
    #13: 337
    #23: 6370
    #24: 1906584523
    #27: 35830
    #49: 887
    #59: 1

Mutations:

Inventory bugs:

Equipment:
    eq slot #0, inv slot #1: +8 long sword of the Globe {venom, Dex+3}
    eq slot #1, inv slot #28: +0 cloak
    eq slot #2, inv slot #38: +0 helmet of see invisible
    eq slot #3, inv slot #47: +0 pair of gloves
    eq slot #5, inv slot #40: +0 buckler
    eq slot #6, inv slot #30: +2 robe of cold resistance
    eq slot #7, inv slot #44: ring of magical power
    eq slot #8, inv slot #24: ring of magical power
    eq slot #9, inv slot #23: amulet "Puros" {RegenMP MR+ Str+4 Int+2}

}}}}}}}}}}}

Screenshot:
     #≈≈.....P.♣....#
     ##≈.÷♣♣####♣''##
     #≈≈.......#♣.R♣#
     #≈≈.♣....≈#....♣#
     #P..♣...≈≈#≈....#
#..  #♣.....P≈≈#≈P...+
#..  ♣..P.⌠..≈≈#≈≈...+
 P.  ♣.......≈≈#≈≈...+
 ♣.♣♣#.P.....P≈#≈...P#
 ♣.P♣#........≈#..†.8#
 ♣PD♣#P..♣.....♣P.<.##
 ♣.RP#....##++##♣####
  ♣RR#........♣♣
 ♣♣R@RR%......P#
 ♣.RR...♣♣....P#
 ♣♣♣P#.♣♣♣♣....+
   #####   #####

clua stack:

dlua stack:

Lua persistent data:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
bailey_type: bailey_axe
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lua marker contents:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 22:06

Morgue:
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22-a0-427-g7544ccf3cf (tiles) character file.

24497 Ami the Thaumaturge (level 12, -6/82 HPs)
             Began as a Demigod Wizard on May 27, 2018.
             Killed from afar by a rime drake (17 damage)
             ... with a flash freeze
             ... on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts.
             The game lasted 00:57:37 (14433 turns).

Ami the Thaumaturge (Demigod Wizard)               Turns: 14433, Time: 00:57:37

Health: -6/82      AC:  7    Str: 13    XL:     12   Next: 81%
Magic:  45/47      EV: 13    Int: 30    God:     [*****.]
Gold:   429        SH:  7    Dex: 16    Spells: 12/38 levels left

rFire    . . .     SeeInvis +   b - +8 long sword {venom, Dex+3}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   O - +0 buckler
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   E - +2 robe {rC+}
rPois    .         Spirit   .   M - +0 helmet {SInv}
rElec    .         Reflect  .   C - +0 cloak
rCorr    .         Harm     .   V - +0 pair of gloves
MR       +....                  (no boots)
Stlth    ++........             x - amulet "Puros" {RegenMP MR+ Str+4 Int+2}
HPRegen  0.23/turn              S - ring of magical power
MPRegen  0.55/turn              y - ring of magical power

@: lethally poisoned (-6 -> -7), slowed, very slow
A: divine derivation, reduced essence
a: Recall Ancestor, Ancestor Identity, Lesser Servant of Makhleb

You were on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worshipped .
 was extremely pleased with you.
You were not hungry.

You visited 2 branches of the dungeon, and saw 14 of its levels.
You also visited: Labyrinth.

You collected 766 gold pieces.
You spent 337 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
   (You found it on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.

It affects your dexterity (+3).
 d - a +6 rapier of venom
   (You found it on level 8 of the Dungeon)   

It has been specially enchanted to burn those struck by it, causing extra
   injury to most foes and up to half again as much damage against particularly
   susceptible opponents.

It protects you from negative energy.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
Missiles
 k - 26 poisoned needles
 w - 2 curare-tipped needles
 A - 3 throwing nets (quivered)
 Q - 12 needles of sleeping
Armour
 i - a +0 shield
 C - a +0 cloak (worn)
 E - a +2 robe of cold resistance (worn)
 M - a +0 helmet of see invisible (worn)
 O - a +0 buckler (worn)
 V - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
Magical Staves
 a - an uncursed staff of power
 r - a cursed staff of fire
 Z - an uncursed staff of earth
Jewellery
 f - a cursed amulet of the acrobat
 x - the amulet "Puros" (around neck) {RegenMP MR+ Str+4 Int+2}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Dungeon)   

[amulet of magic regeneration]

It increases your magic regeneration.
   It affects your strength (+4).
   It affects your intelligence (+2).
 y - a ring of magical power (right hand)
 G - a +3 ring of dexterity
 J - an uncursed ring of ice
 K - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 S - a ring of magical power (left hand)
Wands
 h - a wand of acid (7)
 s - a wand of flame (22)
 F - a wand of enslavement (26)
 T - a wand of paralysis (11)
 U - a wand of iceblast (15)
 X - a wand of digging (13)
Scrolls
 c - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon
 e - 4 scrolls of remove curse
 j - 5 scrolls of blinking
 m - a scroll of immolation
 n - 5 scrolls of teleportation
 p - 2 scrolls of fear
 z - a scroll of identify
 I - a scroll of fog
Potions
 g - a potion of cancellation
 l - 4 potions of flight
 q - a potion of brilliance
 t - 2 potions of might
 u - a potion of mutation
 v - 4 potions of lignification
 D - 2 potions of resistance
 H - 2 potions of magic
 L - a potion of heal wounds
 N - 2 potions of berserk rage
 P - 2 potions of curing
 W - 2 potions of haste
Comestibles
 o - 3 chunks of flesh
 R - 23 rations

Skills:
 - Level 8.0 Fighting
 - Level 2.8 Dodging
 - Level 2.9 Stealth
 + Level 10.1 Shields
 + Level 13.5 Spellcasting
 + Level 5.0 Conjurations
 - Level 10.2 Hexes
 - Level 1.0 Summonings
 - Level 1.0 Translocations
 + Level 2.2 Fire Magic
 - Level 0.2 Air Magic
 - Level 0.2 Poison Magic

You had 12 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Magic Dart            Conj           ####         1%          1    None
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          2%          2    None
c - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      #####...     1%          3    None
d - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  ####....     3%          3    None
e - Confuse               Hex            ######..     1%          3    None
f - Summon Lightning Spi  Summ/Air       ###.....     19%         4    None
g - Summon Ice Beast      Ice/Summ       ###.....     21%         4    None
h - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      #####.....   63%         6    ####...

Your spell library contained the following spells:

Spells                   Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
 Slow                     Hex            ######..     1%          2    None
 Throw Frost              Conj/Ice       #####.       1%          2    None
 Summon Small Mammal      Summ           ####         1%          1    None
 Freeze                   Ice            ###.         2%          1    None
 Sticky Flame             Conj/Fire      #####...     5%          4    None
 Ozocubu's Armour         Chrm/Ice       ###.....     8%          3    None
 Call Imp                 Summ           ####....     2%          2    None
 Iron Shot                Conj/Erth      #####.....   80%         6    ####...
 Stone Arrow              Conj/Erth      #####.       2%          3    None
 Statue Form              Tmut/Erth      ###......    98%         6    ####...
 Dragon Form              Tmut           ###.......   100%        7    #####..
 Throw Icicle             Conj/Ice       #####...     9%          4    None
 Confusing Touch          Hex            ######       1%          1    None
 Passwall                 Tmut/Erth      ###.......   3%          2    None
 Call Canine Familiar     Summ           ####....     4%          3    None
 Metabolic Englaciation   Hex/Ice        ######....   9%          5    None
 Lee's Rapid Deconstruct  Erth           ###.......   56%         5    None
 Sandblast                Erth           ###...       2%          1    None
 Petrify                  Tmut/Erth      ###.....     24%         4    None
 Leda's Liquefaction      Hex/Erth       ######....   3%          4    None
 Summon Guardian Golem    Hex/Summ       ######..     1%          3    None
 Hydra Form               Tmut           ###.......   98%         6    ####...
 Irradiate                Conj/Tmut      #####.....   24%         5    None
 Gell's Gravitas          Tloc           ####......   4%          3    None
 Yara's Violent Unravell  Hex/Tmut       ######....   9%          5    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (10/15)            Temple (0/1) D:7            Lair (4/6) D:10
  Swamp (0/4) Lair:3        Snake (0/4) Lair:2          Orc (0/2) D:10

Shops:
D:4 *   D:7 *

Message History

Unknown command.
Unknown command.
The hornet stings you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The stone arrow hits the hornet. Chakid barely misses the hornet.
Chakid hits the hornet with a quarterstaff!
The hornet closely misses Chakid.
The crocodile misses the rime drake.
The hornet dies!
Your Conjurations skill increases to level 5!
You barely miss the rime drake. You feel sick.
The rime drake breathes ice at you.
The flash freeze hits you! You partially resist.
You die...

########  #####
#8˜˜˜˜P???#..P?#
#˜˜˜˜P....'†..P#
#˜˜˜......'....#
#˜†.R%†...?....#
##˜RR??####?''##
#˜RRR@....#?..?#
#˜PR?tk..˜#....?#
#P..?...˜˜#˜....#
#?.P....˜˜#˜˜...+
 ..P.(..˜˜#˜˜...+
?.......˜˜#˜˜...+
#.P.....P˜#˜...P#
  .k.....˜#..†.8#
      ... ?P.<.##
          #?####

You could see 7 friendly battlemagi, 2 rime drakes and a crocodile (confused).

Vanquished Creatures
  A hydra (Lair:2)
  A two-headed ogre (D:10)
  Psyche (D:9)
  2 black mambas
  2 elephants (Lair:3)
  A spiny frog (Lair:1)
  2 centaur skeletons
  A rime drake (Lair:1)
  2 komodo dragons (Lair:2)
  2 blink frogs (Lair:2)
  2 hippogriffs
  Sigmund (D:3)
  A wyvern (D:10)
  8 yaks
  Eustachio (D:4)
  2 swamp worms (Lair:3)
  Menkaure (D:5)
  A naga (Lair:2)
  3 water moccasins
  2 hell hounds (D:10)
  A sky beast (D:9)
  A phantom (D:6)
  3 ogres
  A black bear (D:9)
  An eye of draining (D:9)
  A centaur (D:10)
  3 crocodiles
  Blork the orc (D:6)
  2 bullfrogs
  A gnoll sergeant (D:10)
  6 killer bees (D:8)
  2 wights (D:6)
  A troll skeleton (Lab)
  2 spriggan skeletons (Lab)
  3 jellies
  4 crimson imps
  A centaur zombie (D:7)
  A bullfrog zombie (D:3)
  7 orc priests
  6 orc wizards
  2 worker ants (D:4)
  A hound skeleton (D:4)
  10 gnolls
  2 adders
  A howler monkey skeleton (D:3)
  A shadow imp (D:7)
  An ooze (D:1)
  An adder zombie (D:9)
  2 worms
  2 dart slugs
  5 leopard geckos
  24 orcs
  9 giant cockroaches
  6 goblins
  9 hobgoblins
  4 jackals
  6 kobolds
  A quokka (D:9)
  9 bats
  7 frilled lizards
  A leopard gecko skeleton (D:6)
  5 rats
194 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A minotaur (Lab)
  A hydra (Lair:1)
  3 two-headed ogres
  Pikel (D:5)
  An elephant (Lair:3)
  2 black mambas (Lair:3)
  6 spiny frogs
  5 komodo dragons
  A queen bee (D:8)
  A troll (D:9)
  Prince Ribbit (D:9)
  3 hornets
  2 hippogriffs (Lair:2)
  2 blink frogs (Lair:2)
  2 wyverns
  7 yaks
  A basilisk (Lair:2)
  2 nagas (Lair:2)
  3 swamp worms (Lair:3)
  A water moccasin (Lair:2)
  5 porcupines
  A slave (D:5)
  A sky beast (D:6)
  2 ice beasts
  4 orc warriors
  3 ogres
  7 crocodiles
  8 bullfrogs
  8 killer bees (D:8)
  A wight (D:6)
  An electric eel (Lair:3)
  2 crimson imps
  A centaur zombie (D:6)
  2 hounds
  A jelly (D:6)
  2 orc priests
  A centaur skeleton (D:8)
  2 orc wizards (D:8)
  An iguana (D:7)
  4 gnolls
  A howler monkey skeleton (D:9)
  A worker ant zombie (D:5)
  3 adders
  A shadow imp (D:8)
  An adder skeleton (D:4)
  A worm (D:3)
  16 orcs
  2 jackals
  2 quokkas
  A fungus (Lair:2)
  3 plants (Lair:4)
135 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  5 battlemagi
  A worm (D:5)
  3 ancestors
  A fungus (Lair:3)
  A plant (Lair:4)
11 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 340 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
-------+----------+-------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Ami the Demigod Wizard began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 13/13 MP: 5/5
   303 | D:1      | Reached skill level 4 in Spellcasting
   511 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 18/19 MP: 1/7
  1259 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 24/24 MP: 0/9
  1902 | D:2      | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
  1930 | D:2      | Learned a level 3 spell: Conjure Flame
  1934 | D:2      | Learned a level 3 spell: Mephitic Cloud
  2090 | D:3      | Reached * piety under
  2159 | D:3      | Found a faded altar of an unknown god.
  2198 | D:3      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 13/30 MP: 0/10
  2510 | D:3      | Found an opulent altar of Gozag.
  2535 | D:3      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
  2745 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 24/31 MP: 12/12
  3004 | D:3      | Noticed Sigmund
  3028 | D:3      | Killed Sigmund
  3028 | D:3      | Reached skill level 6 in Spellcasting
  3028 | D:3      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 28/36 MP: 15/15
  3253 | D:4      | Noticed Eustachio
  3598 | D:4      | Killed Eustachio
  3598 | D:4      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 42/42 MP: 16/17
  3612 | D:4      | Found Qenledgha's Assorted Antiques.
  3623 | D:4      | Bought a transparent amethyst amulet for 125 gold pieces
  3623 | D:4      | Identified the amulet "Puros" {RegenMP MR+ Str+4 Int+2} (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Dungeon)
  3900 | D:4      | Reached skill level 7 in Spellcasting
  4221 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
  4495 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  4497 | D:5      | Noticed Menkaure
  4699 | D:5      | Reached ** piety under
  4714 | D:5      | Reached skill level 8 in Spellcasting
  5027 | D:4      | Remembered your ancestor Chakid as a battlemage
  5377 | D:5      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 48/48 MP: 20/20
  5402 | D:5      | Noticed Pikel
  5417 | D:5      | Killed Pikel
  5417 | D:5      | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
  5527 | D:5      | Killed Menkaure
  5527 | D:5      | Reached skill level 11 in Spellcasting
  5957 | D:6      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 52/54 MP: 24/24
  5967 | D:6      | Learned a level 3 spell: Confuse
  6051 | D:6      | Noticed Blork the orc
  6061 | D:6      | Killed Blork the orc
  6080 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Hexes
  6177 | D:6      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  6412 | D:6      | Reached *** piety under
  6649 | D:6      | Found a hazy altar of Hepliaklqana.
  6649 | D:6      | Found a stormy altar of Qazlal.
  6842 | D:7      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  6954 | D:7      | Found Cujay's General Store.
  7304 | D:4      | Bought a shiny helmet for 187 gold pieces
  7389 | D:8      | Noticed a two-headed ogre
  7398 | D:8      | Killed a two-headed ogre
  7435 | D:8      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  7464 | D:8      | Got a transparent trident
  7465 | D:8      | Identified the +3 trident of Cegoletaq {flame, rN+ MR+} (You found it on level 8 of the Dungeon)
  7524 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 57/65 MP: 25/25
  7688 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
  7709 | D:8      | Reached **** piety under
  7709 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Hexes
  7860 | D:8      | Noticed a two-headed ogre
  7881 | D:8      | Killed a two-headed ogre
  8241 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
  8801 | D:9      | Learned a level 4 spell: Summon Lightning Spire
  8806 | D:9      | Learned a level 4 spell: Summon Ice Beast
  9050 | D:9      | Noticed Psyche
  9067 | D:9      | Killed Psyche
  9123 | D:9      | Noticed Prince Ribbit
  9124 | D:9      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  9133 | D:9      | Killed Prince Ribbit
  9351 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
  9378 | D:10     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
  9385 | D:10     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 55/74 MP: 26/26
  9574 | D:10     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
  9755 | D:10     | Noticed a two-headed ogre
  9770 | D:10     | Killed a two-headed ogre
  9770 | D:10     | Reached ***** piety under
  9777 | D:10     | Noticed a two-headed ogre
  9789 | D:10     | Killed a two-headed ogre
 10234 | D:4      | Bought a scroll labeled NAB EGABI ILU for 25 gold pieces
 10362 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 10487 | Lair:1   | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 10501 | Lair:1   | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 11321 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 12 in Spellcasting
 11557 | Lair:2   | Got a crystal long sword
 11558 | Lair:2   | Identified the +8 long sword of the Globe {venom, Dex+3} (You found it on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts)
 11578 | Lair:2   | Noticed a five-headed hydra
 11596 | Lair:2   | Killed a five-headed hydra
 11596 | Lair:2   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 82/82 MP: 27/28
 11625 | Lair:2   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.
 12378 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 13 in Spellcasting
 12387 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 10 in Hexes
 12636 | Lair:3   | Found a labyrinth entrance.
 12651 | Lab      | Entered a labyrinth
 12837 | Lab      | Noticed a minotaur
 12929 | Lab      | Killed a minotaur
 12935 | Lab      | Got a twisted crystal plate armour
 12941 | Lab      | Identified the Papyrus of Ashen Flames
 12984 | Lab      | Identified the +1 crystal plate armour "Olaul" {rN+ rCorr} (You took it off a minotaur in a labyrinth)
 13041 | Lab      | Learned a level 6 spell: Bolt of Fire
 13482 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 1 in Fire Magic
 13735 | Lair:3   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 13739 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 10 in Shields
 14432 | Lair:4   | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
 14433 | Lair:4   | Killed from afar by a rime drake

Vault maps used:
D:1:      dpeg_arrival_renting
D:3:      chequers_ecumenical_altar_twisty, grunt_gozag_statues, uniq_sigmund
D:4:      first_ration, serial_shops, nicolae_shop_overgrown_old_shop,
          uniq_eustachio
D:5:      uniq_pikel, uniq_menkaure
D:6:      gammafunk_temple_overflow_elements, elyvilon_altar_4,
          uniq_blork_the_orc
D:7:      minmay_temple_entry_large_hall, serial_shops,
          nicolae_shop_behind_doors
D:8:      david_nohive_1, nicolae_ashenzari_panopticon
D:9:      basic_altar, uniq_prince_ribbit1, uniq_psyche
D:10:     minmay_lair_entry_lava, orc_0_dummy
Lair:1:   grunt_megastairs_3
Lair:2:   minmay_snake_entry_guardpost_small, infiniplex_staircase_pool
Lair:3:   nicolae_swamp_entry_splash_gauntlet, lab_entry_generic,
          grunt_megastairs_1, lemuel_fruit_tree
Lair:4:   cheibrodos_lair_overgrown_chateau, grunt_forest_large_clearings
Lab:      nicolae_lab_dead_adventurers, nicolae_lab_very_dead_end,
          labyrinth_skeletal_remains, lab_fountain, nicolae_lab_quarters,
          nicolae_lab_stuck

Skill      XL: |  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 |
---------------+-------------------------------------+-----
Spellcasting   |  4        5  6     8 11       12 13 | 13.5
Stealth        |     2                               |  2.9
Conjurations   |        2     3  4                 5 |  5.0
Fighting       |                    1     4  6  8    |  8.0
Hexes          |                          4  7  9 10 | 10.2
Shields        |                          3  6  8 10 | 10.1
Fire Magic     |                                   2 |  2.2
Dodging        |                                     |  2.8
Summonings     |                                     |  1.0
Translocations |                                     |  1.0
Air Magic      |                                     |  0.2
Poison Magic   |                                     |  0.2

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Dagger            |    22 |       |       |       ||    22
       Staff             |       |       |     2 |     6 ||     8
       Rapier            |       |       |     2 |    37 ||    39
       Trident           |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
       Long sword        |       |       |       |    65 ||    65
 Cast: Magic Dart        |   111 |   109 |   237 |   526 ||   983
       Mephitic Cloud    |       |     5 |    21 |    14 ||    40
       Blink             |       |     1 |     2 |     2 ||     5
       Confuse           |       |       |     6 |   141 ||   147
       Conjure Flame     |       |       |     2 |       ||     2
       Summon Ice Beast  |       |       |       |    11 ||    11
       Summon Lightning  |       |       |       |     3 ||     3
Invok: Recall Ancestor   |       |       |     5 |    17 ||    22
       Ancestor Life: Ba |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Lesser Servant of |       |       |       |     3 ||     3
       Ancestor Identity |       |       |       |     2 ||     2
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |     9 |     1 ||    10
  Use: Scroll            |     3 |       |     1 |    23 ||    27
       Potion            |       |     3 |     1 |       ||     4
 Stab: Distracted        |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Confused          |       |       |       |    13 ||    13
       Sleeping          |       |       |       |     2 ||     2
  Eat: Chunk             |     4 |     4 |     8 |    18 ||    34
       Ration            |       |       |     1 |     1 ||     2
Armor: Robe              |     5 |     7 |     4 |    29 ||    45
Dodge: Dodged            |    23 |    32 |    28 |    71 ||   154
Block: Buckler           |       |       |       |    18 ||    18
Rpst.: Long sword        |       |       |       |     9 ||     9

Table legend:
 A = Spawn XP
 B = Non-spawn XP
 C = Spawn XP percentage of total XP
 D = Spawn monster count
 E = Non-spawn monster count
 F = Spawn count percentage of total count
 G = Total turns spent on level

A         B        C        D         E        F        G   
            +---------+---------+-------+---------+---------+-------+---------
      Total |       0 |   34996 |   0.0 |       0 |     324 |   0.0 |   14433
        D:1 |       0 |      39 |   0.0 |       0 |      20 |   0.0 |    1251
        D:2 |       0 |      29 |   0.0 |       0 |      17 |   0.0 |     772
        D:3 |       0 |     533 |   0.0 |       0 |      29 |   0.0 |    1518
        D:4 |       0 |     549 |   0.0 |       0 |      20 |   0.0 |    1712
        D:5 |       0 |    1364 |   0.0 |       0 |      28 |   0.0 |     844
        D:6 |       0 |    1107 |   0.0 |       0 |      19 |   0.0 |     934
        D:7 |       0 |     401 |   0.0 |       0 |      20 |   0.0 |     507
        D:8 |       0 |    4233 |   0.0 |       0 |      46 |   0.0 |    1190
        D:9 |       0 |    2021 |   0.0 |       0 |      20 |   0.0 |     830
       D:10 |       0 |    3242 |   0.0 |       0 |      17 |   0.0 |     804
     Lair:1 |       0 |    4066 |   0.0 |       0 |      17 |   0.0 |     950
     Lair:2 |       0 |    8124 |   0.0 |       0 |      31 |   0.0 |     974
     Lair:3 |       0 |    6408 |   0.0 |       0 |      26 |   0.0 |    1574
     Lair:4 |       0 |    1936 |   0.0 |       0 |       9 |   0.0 |     112
        Lab |       0 |     944 |   0.0 |       0 |       5 |   0.0 |     461

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 27th May 2018, 22:37

Amilir wrote:Huh. Probably not you then?

No, definitely me, just something I hadn't accounted for previously.

Amilir wrote:First crash log:

Awesome, thank you. I was able to figure out what was going on, compiled and tested a fix that is hopefully sufficient. I'll post a new build with this (and some other changes!) sometime today.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th May 2018, 05:21

I've updated the release on github, including pushing the branch, so the source code is available if that's your thing. There's also a console version available, if that's your thing =)

Notable changes (besides bug fixes):

- XL milestones for origin reveals changed from 5/10/15 to 5/9/13.
- 2 more gods added to passives bucket - Yred and Ash - let me know how those feel, and how the total feels.
- Destructive spell 'gifts' added to Veh's passive powers (to be flavoured as something innate), to enable and encourage building around that outcome.
- Enslave Soul removed from 'big' active bucket. (Mostly, it was bugged, and it could come back if that can be resolved... but I also imagined it as being a bit fiddly, difficult to use, low impact, and fragile in this context)

I'm not 100% confident in the implementation of the Yred passive followers, so let me know if you run into any bugs with that... hopefully it's good though.

The topic of what elements constitute an independent power and what constitutes conduct is still open, and if others want to weigh in before a decision is made, please feel free to do so. (Of course the decision will ultimately be in the hands of the devs... still, I'd like to make the best 'recommendation' possible when it's time to make a pull request).

Finally, I'd like to make progress on imagining another species that can house the mechanical kit. Hit me with more ideas if you got em!

The best alternate I have so far comes from Mikee. This is the rough sketch/concept:

"Abyssal"

Abyssals are members of a species created by Lugonu using corrupt magics to fuse mortal and godly essence. These agents of chaos sow discord and corruption into the overworld, not by worshipping Lugonu or any other god, but by wielding the terrible powers manifest of themselves. Left unchecked, the proliferation of Abyssals could threaten to infect and spread throughout the mortal world and see it undone.

An Abyssal is insidious, masquerading initially as something very similar to the species of its mortal essence. They have above average attributes, but are otherwise unremarkable. Abyssals gain experience slowly, but as they grow their infusions of godly essence periodically reveal themselves, granting godly traits and abilities.

For this message the author Realz has received thanks:
Vajrapani

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 28th May 2018, 11:38

Your demigod branch is now playable on CPO! https://crawl.project357.org/

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
Realz

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 28th May 2018, 12:23

Personally, I'd call this Demigod or Angelborn or Divine Soul and I'd rename Demigod to Forsaken.

I am not clear on what Abyssals would do.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2018, 03:51

Shtopit wrote:Personally, I'd call this Demigod or Angelborn or Divine Soul and I'd rename Demigod to Forsaken.
The problem with this suggestion is that changes to the game aren't retroactive. Renaming Demigod to Forsaken isn't going to go back to all the old versions and old morgue files and old discussions etc. and change all instances of "Demigod" to "Forsaken". So that alone is a nightmare; the Kenku -> Tengu change happened seven years ago and we still haven't figured out how to completely fix the scoring pages and Sequell. Same with monster renames. If you add a new race called Demigod on top of that, then it's even harder to deal with, and is going to confuse everyone except the people who specifically know about this change.
For this reason alone, I would rather see Dg flat-out removed than see it renamed, even though it's my second favourite species design wise (after Hu).

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2018, 06:37

There might be reasons to dislike this species taking an existing name, but the technical capabilities of sequell/scoring are a non-issue. As someone who worked quite heavily on scoring, dealing with "legacy" of old species names is not really a problem. A simple species rename is very easy to take care of.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 2
mattlistener, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2018, 07:36

The CAO scoring pages are still counting Te and Ke as separate species, so I assumed it was hard to fix. Sorry.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 01:48

I'm not sure that I'll have much time to playtest this myself, it took me something like 2 weeks to finish a faerie dragon (who was only ~3.5 hours of playtime), but I'll chime in on the chei passive issue in theory at least: I like the way it currently is.

The issue is that just giving +15 to all stats without slow makes it hands down the strongest passive you'll ever get, so it needs the slow to make up for it. I do believe that at least some if not many players will in fact be annoyed/quit the game upon getting it, but that's their choice and all you can do is let them quit if they want to. If you don't want a randomly determined character, don't play a randomly determined race. I do kind of miss that slouch isn't available as an active, but since you aren't allowing two choices from the same god, slouch would likely be terrible anyways. I would, however, consider adding temporal distortion to the list of early active abilities, it's quite strong and generally useful even to not-fully-chei characters.

I don't know much about how hard it is to rename all the old records, but imho just call it a new name, it's less effort than convincing everyone to change :)

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
svendre

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 02:01

People quitscum Ds a lot, and Dr a moderate amount, so having a few passives that cause many people to insta-quit isn't a problem. If there are active unlocks that cause quitting that might be a problem though.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 02:38

chequers wrote:People quitscum Ds a lot, and Dr a moderate amount, so having a few passives that cause many people to insta-quit isn't a problem. If there are active unlocks that cause quitting that might be a problem though.

I'd modify this to say, "having a few passives that cause many a few people to insta-quit isn't a problem."

If the great majority are having fun with the totality of the design, that's great. If a relatively small number have very particular preferences and they want to re-roll, that's fine too. But if there is a consistently un-fun element, it should just be removed. That said, nothing I've seen thus far leads me to believe a great deal of players are upset by the presence of chei passive, and much more that they seem to welcome the inclusion and continue to have fun when it appears... I'd rather not design around the exception since the self-fix for that is relatively low impact.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 02:58

tasonir wrote:The issue is that just giving +15 to all stats without slow makes it hands down the strongest passive you'll ever get, so it needs the slow to make up for it.
Just looking at existing passives, +15 to all stats with no penalty is not clearly better than the Yred, Ru, or Hep ones, especially since you don't get +15 until near max piety. I'd argue it's probably worse most of the time. And giving it the slow to make it actively terrible isn't much better than making it the strongest passive.
If you want to balance the passives against each other (and yeah, this should probably be done), you're going to have to get rid of their symmetry with the actual gods anyway, because gods are extremely inconsistent with how good their passives are; Vehumet's and TSO's are obviously garbage compared to Ru's or an ancestor. So if you're going to tweak the numbers anyway there's no pressing need to specifically adopt the slow movement in order to "balance" the stat increase.

Just adopting Chei's movement slowing won't work anyway because unless/until you also roll amazing actives, the optimal play with Chei passives will frequently be to keep your "piety" at 0 so that you don't get slowed. That is obviously bad. Maybe a different slow movement penalty than Chei's would work, but adopting Chei's directly won't.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
gammafunk, nago

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 05:35

duvessa wrote:the optimal play with Chei passives will frequently be to keep your "piety" at 0 so that you don't get slowed. That is obviously bad. Maybe a different slow movement penalty than Chei's would work, but adopting Chei's directly won't.

I agree that would be bad, but being at 0 piety doesn't avoid getting slowed, so I think this won't be a concern.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 07:40

duvessa wrote:If you want to balance the passives against each other (and yeah, this should probably be done)

I don't see why, as it isn't clearly a design goal in most aspect of the game: e.g. the god themselves, or Ds mutations - robust is clearly better than black mark - or Dr - red is winning all over white - or spells and so on.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 08:26

Realz wrote:
duvessa wrote:the optimal play with Chei passives will frequently be to keep your "piety" at 0 so that you don't get slowed. That is obviously bad. Maybe a different slow movement penalty than Chei's would work, but adopting Chei's directly won't.

I agree that would be bad, but being at 0 piety doesn't avoid getting slowed, so I think this won't be a concern.
Sorry, I should have said it's optimal to keep your piety at 0, or some other low value, so that you get slowed less. (+20% movement delay instead of +100%)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 22:49

duvessa wrote:
tasonir wrote:The issue is that just giving +15 to all stats without slow makes it hands down the strongest passive you'll ever get, so it needs the slow to make up for it.
Just looking at existing passives, +15 to all stats with no penalty is not clearly better than the Yred, Ru, or Hep ones, especially since you don't get +15 until near max piety.

Piety gain is usually quick enough that I don't really worry about that, but you do have a point there. If the Ru aura is always equal to 6* Ru aura, you probably do have a point there, the aura is massively strong. I'm assuming Yred/Ru gifts/aura would also scale up with piety, and would start out initially weak (you'd start with no allies for example, and have to gain some amount (1-2*) before you started getting allies, for example).

As for Yred/Hep, I generally prefer to have the power myself rather than spread out over allies, but you might again be right in terms of overall power, having a ton of meatshields/one good meatshield is pretty nice. I haven't really played Hep much and wasn't super impressed with early ancestors, but I don't think I've ever leveled an ancestor up fully, so...

In short I would avoid yred/hep as allies, but I'll certainly give you credit that Ru's probably the strongest passive.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 2nd June 2018, 23:22

I just played couple games. Quite varying power on this species...

My opinion is that the Chei slow is horrible and that the Hep passive is a bit OP. I'm frankly going to quit every time I get the Chei passive on this race. Luckily you know if you're character is crippled very early on.. +15 stats just isn't worth being slowed.

The strongest combo I have gotten is Hep passive + ru active + TSO angels on a ??Gl.

This is a neat idea but it kind of plays too similarly to a regular god imo. I would change it so that you don't get a bundle of passives that work together but instead get different pieces. This is obviously much more work, but it could be fun. Adding some Usk abilities reworked could be neat too, but again it's a lot of work. Some passives are so niche, that they feel wasted. I would remove Vehumets extended and aiding with destructive magics. I would also allow for actives to appear at XL 5. I just think we need this switchup to differentiate it from the cohesiveness of a regular god, because right now it feels like worshipping a god with a couple of ability reworks (or buffs).

We could make some rules like:

TSO halo and Dithmenthos Umbra cannot both appear.
Usk paralyzes the screen randomly (based on tension, has an internal cooldown) after you reach ****.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 3rd June 2018, 01:37

Code:
  Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22-a0-441-g0e991a28df (tiles) character file.

4975172 Ofeofae the Necromancer (level 27, 148/213 HPs)
             Began as a Demigod Gladiator on May 28, 2018.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 7 runes on June 2, 2018!

The game lasted 04:39:07 (80382 turns).

Ofeofae the Necromancer (Demigod Gladiator)        Turns: 80382, Time: 04:39:07

Health: 148/213    AC: 30    Str: 40    XL:     27
Magic:  42/45      EV: 38    Int: 46    God:     [******]
Gold:   3599       SH: 25    Dex: 53    Spells: 3/62 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .   a - +9 demon trident (elec)
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   E - +5 shield {reflect}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   c - +8 chain mail of Pathos {Str+2}
rPois    +         Spirit   +   w - +2 hat of the Bear Spirit {Spirit, +Rage rN+ MR++}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   F - scarf {rC+ rF+}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   W - +2 pair of gloves "Komel" {rElec MR+ Dex+6}
MR       +++++     Clarity  +   J - +2 pair of boots {Fly}
Stlth    +.........             k - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
HPRegen  0.45/turn              Y - ring "Upsainim" {rElec rPois rF+ Dex+5}
MPRegen  0.29/turn              u - ring "Sypnaixo" {rF+ rN+ Dex+8 Slay+2 Stlth-}

@: mighty, brilliant, agile, flying, studying 2 skills, very slow
A: divine derivation, berserk 2, clumsy 1, deterioration 1, no potion heal 2,
MP-powered wands, sturdy frame 1
0: Orb of Zot
}: 7/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, abyssal, glowing, magical, gossamer
a: Channel Magic, Drain Life, Evoke Berserk Rage, Stop Flying

You escaped.
You worshipped .
 was exalted by your worship.
You were very hungry.

You visited 11 branches of the dungeon, and saw 57 of its levels.
You visited Pandemonium 1 time, and saw 11 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 2 times.
You visited 1 bazaar.
You also visited: Labyrinth, Trove, Sewer, Bailey, Volcano, Wizlab and Desolation.

You collected 9407 gold pieces.
You spent 5808 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +9 demon trident of electrocution (weapon)
 b - the +8 mithril axe "Arga" {speed, MR+}
   (You took it off a vampire mage on level 3 of the Crypt)   

Attacks with this weapon are significantly faster.

q - the +9 staff of Wucad Mu {channel}
   (You found it in a wizard's laboratory)
Missiles
 d - 6 throwing nets (quivered)
Armour
 c - the +8 chain mail of Pathos (worn) {Str+2}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 11 of the Dungeon)   

It affects your strength (+2).
 w - the +2 hat of the Bear Spirit (worn) {Spirit, +Rage rN+ MR++}
   (You bought it in a shop in a bazaar)   

It lets you go berserk.
 E - a +5 shield of reflection (worn)
 F - a scarf of resistance (worn)
 J - a +2 pair of boots of flying (worn)
 O - the +1 cloak "Bejag" {rCorr Int-2 SInv}
   (You found it on level 1 of the Elven Halls)   

It affects your intelligence (-2).
   It lets you see invisible.
   It protects you from acid and corrosion.
 W - the +2 pair of gloves "Komel" (worn) {rElec MR+ Dex+6}
   (You acquired it in a bailey)   

It affects your dexterity (+6).
   It insulates you from electricity.
Jewellery
 k - the amulet of the Four Winds (around neck) {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
   (You took it off a deep elf demonologist on level 3 of the Elven Halls)   

[amulet of nothing]

It protects you against confusion.
 m - a +5 ring of protection
 r - an uncursed ring of resist corrosion
 u - the ring "Sypnaixo" (right hand) {rF+ rN+ Dex+8 Slay+2 Stlth-}
   (You found it in a treasure trove)   

[ring of positive energy]

It affects your dexterity (+8).
   It affects your accuracy and damage with ranged weapons and melee attacks
   (+2).
   It protects you from fire.
   It makes you less stealthy.
 y - the amulet "Asuorips" {rElec rN+ MR+ Regen+ Stlth+}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 2 of the Orcish Mines)   

[amulet of regeneration]

It increases your rate of regeneration.
   It makes you more stealthy.
 Y - the ring "Upsainim" (left hand) {rElec rPois rF+ Dex+5}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 5 of the Vaults)   

[ring of poison resistance]

It affects your dexterity (+5).
   It protects you from fire.
   It protects you from poison.
Wands
 e - a wand of paralysis (59)
 A - a wand of acid (34)
 D - a wand of iceblast (53)
 L - a wand of digging (69)
 Q - a wand of scattershot (2)
Scrolls
 h - 12 scrolls of blinking
 i - 22 scrolls of remove curse
 j - 7 scrolls of identify
 l - 11 scrolls of fear
 n - 27 scrolls of teleportation
 p - 6 scrolls of enchant armour
 s - 8 scrolls of magic mapping
 C - a scroll of brand weapon
 G - 11 scrolls of amnesia
 P - 4 scrolls of holy word
 U - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon
 Z - 3 scrolls of fog
Potions
 g - 18 potions of curing
 o - 6 potions of brilliance
 t - 7 potions of heal wounds
 v - 3 potions of magic
 x - 2 potions of might
 z - 8 potions of ambrosia
 I - 7 potions of invisibility
 N - 3 potions of agility
 R - 3 potions of cancellation
 T - a potion of mutation
 X - a potion of lignification
Books
 H - a manual of Bows
 M - a manual of Shields
Miscellaneous
 B - a fan of gales
 K - 5 phantom mirrors
 S - a phial of floods
 V - a lamp of fire
Comestibles
 f - 63 rations

Skills:
 - Level 16.6 Fighting
 - Level 16.3(18.0) Axes
 - Level 13.3(16.5) Polearms
 - Level 2.0 Throwing
 - Level 13.2 Armour
 - Level 16.0 Dodging
 - Level 15.6 Shields
 - Level 18.3 Spellcasting
 - Level 16.6 Conjurations
 + Level 17.3 Charms
   Level 9.9 Summonings
 - Level 20.9 Necromancy
 - Level 5.0 Translocations
 - Level 14.7 Ice Magic
 - Level 13.1 Air Magic
 - Level 20.3 Invocations
 - Level 9.1 Evocations

You had 3 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Freezing Cloud        Conj/Ice/Air   ########..   1%          6    None
b - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ########..   0%          3    None
c - Ozocubu's Refrigerat  Ice            ########..   1%          6    None
d - Simulacrum            Ice/Necr       ########..   1%          6    None
e - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
f - Bolt of Cold          Conj/Ice       ########..   1%          6    None
g - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       ########..   1%          6    None
h - Borgnjor's Revivific  Necr           ########..   1%          8    #......
i - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          58%         8    #......
j - Death's Door          Chrm/Necr      ########..   1%          8    #......

Your spell library contained the following spells:

Spells                   Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
 Cause Fear               Hex            ######....   1%          4    None
 Magic Dart               Conj           ####         0%          1    None
 Apportation              Tloc           ######       1%          1    None
 Conjure Flame            Conj/Fire      #######.     1%          3    None
 Bolt of Fire             Conj/Fire      #######...   1%          6    None
 Lightning Bolt           Conj/Air       ########..   1%          5    None
 Bolt of Magma            Conj/Fire/Erth #######...   1%          5    None
 Slow                     Hex            ######..     1%          2    None
 Confuse                  Hex            ######..     1%          3    None
 Invisibility             Hex            ######..     16%         6    None
 Throw Flame              Conj/Fire      ######       1%          2    None
 Throw Frost              Conj/Ice       ######       0%          2    None
 Mephitic Cloud           Conj/Pois/Air  ########     1%          3    None
 Ring of Flames           Chrm/Fire      #######...   3%          7    None
 Venom Bolt               Conj/Pois      #######...   1%          5    None
 Olgreb's Toxic Radiance  Pois           ######..     1%          4    None
 Teleport Other           Tloc           #######.     1%          3    None
 Iskenderun's Mystic Bla  Conj           ########     0%          4    None
 Summon Horrible Things   Summ           ########..   13%         8    #......
 Animate Dead             Necr           N/A          0%          4    None
 Pain                     Necr           ####         0%          1    None
 Animate Skeleton         Necr           N/A          0%          1    None
 Vampiric Draining        Necr           ########..   0%          3    None
 Haunt                    Necr/Summ      ########..   1%          7    None
 Freeze                   Ice            ####         0%          1    None
 Summon Ice Beast         Ice/Summ       ########     1%          4    None
 Ozocubu's Armour         Chrm/Ice       ########     0%          3    None
 Call Imp                 Summ           ########     1%          2    None
 Dispel Undead            Necr           ########     0%          5    None
 Sting                    Conj/Pois      ####         1%          1    None
 Tukima's Dance           Hex            ######..     1%          3    None
 Summon Demon             Summ           ########..   1%          5    None
 Summon Greater Demon     Summ           ########..   1%          7    None
 Corpse Rot               Necr           N/A          0%          2    None
 Iron Shot                Conj/Erth      #######...   1%          6    None
 Stone Arrow              Conj/Erth      ######       1%          3    None
 Shock                    Conj/Air       ####         0%          1    None
 Swiftness                Chrm/Air       ########     0%          2    None
 Recall                   Summ/Tloc      N/A          1%          3    None
 Spider Form              Tmut/Pois      ######....   1%          3    None
 Blade Hands              Tmut           ######....   3%          5    None
 Statue Form              Tmut/Erth      ######...    16%         6    None
 Ice Form                 Ice/Tmut       #######.     1%          4    None
 Dragon Form              Tmut           ######....   58%         7    None
 Necromutation            Tmut/Necr      ########..   11%         8    #......
 Throw Icicle             Conj/Ice       ########     0%          4    None
 Airstrike                Air            ########..   1%          4    None
 Shadow Creatures         Summ           N/A          1%          6    None
 Confusing Touch          Hex            ######       1%          1    None
 Flame Tongue             Conj/Fire      #####        1%          1    None
 Passwall                 Tmut/Erth      ######..     1%          2    None
 Sticks to Snakes         Tmut           ######..     1%          2    None
 Call Canine Familiar     Summ           ########     1%          3    None
 Ensorcelled Hibernation  Hex/Ice        ######       1%          2    None
 Metabolic Englaciation   Hex/Ice        #######...   1%          5    None
 Summon Butterflies       Summ           ########     0%          1    None
 Silence                  Hex/Air        #######...   1%          5    None
 Shatter                  Erth           ######....   100%        9    ####...
 Dispersal                Tloc           #######...   2%          6    None
 Static Discharge         Conj/Air       ########     0%          3    None
 Corona                   Hex            ######.      1%          1    None
 Alistair's Intoxication  Tmut/Pois      ######..     3%          5    None
 Lee's Rapid Deconstruct  Erth           ######....   3%          5    None
 Sandblast                Erth           ######       1%          1    None
 Conjure Ball Lightning   Conj/Air       ########..   1%          6    None
 Excruciating Wounds      Chrm/Necr      ########..   0%          5    None
 Portal Projectile        Hex/Tloc       ######       1%          3    None
 Monstrous Menagerie      Summ           ########..   1%          7    None
 Petrify                  Tmut/Erth      ######..     1%          4    None
 Passage of Golubria      Tloc           N/A          1%          4    None
 Orb of Destruction       Conj           ########..   1%          7    None
 Malign Gateway           Summ/Tloc      #######...   4%          7    None
 Tornado                  Air            ########..   41%         9    ####...
 Leda's Liquefaction      Hex/Erth       ######....   1%          4    None
 Summon Hydra             Summ           ########..   1%          7    None
 Shroud of Golubria       Chrm/Tloc      ########..   0%          2    None
 Inner Flame              Hex/Fire       ######..     1%          3    None
 Aura of Abjuration       Summ           ########..   1%          5    None
 Beastly Appendage        Tmut           ######       1%          1    None
 Iskenderun's Battlesphe  Conj/Chrm      ########     1%          5    None
 Fulminant Prism          Conj/Hex       #######...   1%          4    None
 Dazzling Spray           Conj/Hex       ######       1%          3    None
 Force Lance              Conj/Tloc      ########     1%          4    None
 Infusion                 Chrm           ####         0%          1    None
 Song of Slaying          Chrm           ########     0%          2    None
 Spectral Weapon          Hex/Chrm       #######.     1%          3    None
 Searing Ray              Conj           ######       0%          2    None
 Discord                  Hex            ######....   99%         8    #......
 Summon Forest            Summ/Tloc      #######...   1%          5    None
 Summon Lightning Spire   Summ/Air       ########     1%          4    None
 Dragon's Call            Summ           ########..   78%         9    ####...
 Spellforged Servitor     Conj/Summ      ########..   1%          7    None
 Summon Mana Viper        Hex/Summ       #######.     1%          5    None
 Hydra Form               Tmut           ######....   16%         6    None
 Irradiate                Conj/Tmut      #######...   1%          5    None
 Gell's Gravitas          Tloc           #######...   1%          3    None
 Yara's Violent Unravell  Hex/Tmut       ######....   3%          5    None
 Infestation              Necr           ########..   1%          8    #......
 Lesser Beckoning         Tloc           #######...   1%          3    None
 Poisonous Vapours        Pois/Air       ######       1%          2    None
 Ignition                 Fire           ######....   99%         8    #......

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (15/15)            Temple (0/1) D:4            Lair (6/6) D:9
 Shoals (4/4) Lair:3       Spider (4/4) Lair:4        Slime (5/5) Lair:6
    Orc (2/2) D:12            Elf (3/3) Orc:2        Vaults (5/5) D:13
  Crypt (3/3) Vaults:3       Tomb (0/3) Crypt:3      Depths (5/5) D:15
    Zot (5/5) Depths:5   

Shops:
D:6 :   D:11 [   D:13 *   Orc:2 [=:*   Elf:1 ?}[=   Shoals:4 *   Vaults:1 [   Vaults:5 =   Depths:1 *   Depths:5 *:=(

Portals:
Hell: Depths:1 Depths:2 Depths:3 Depths:4 Depths:5
Abyss: Depths:1 Depths:4
Pandemonium: Depths:3
Ziggurat: Depths:1

Annotations:
D:6 exclusion: oklob plant
Elf:2 5 runed doors
Depths:5 6 runed doors

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You periodically gain divine abilities as you level.
You often lose your temper in combat.
You are clumsy. (Dex -2)
Your body sometimes deteriorates upon taking damage.
Potions are poor at restoring your health.
You expend magic power (3 MP) to strengthen your wands.
Your movements are slightly less encumbered by armour. (ER -2)

Message History

You block the red devil's attack. x2
The red devil hops backward while attacking.
You block the red devil's attack. The red devil misses you.
You hear the crackle of electricity.
a - a +9 demon trident of electrocution (weapon)
Attack whom?
Press: ? - help, Dir - move target cursor, f - red devil
Aim: a red devil, wielding a demon trident of electrocution
You reach to attack! You puncture the red devil!
The red devil is moderately wounded.
The red devil completely misses you.
Attack whom?
Press: ? - help, Dir - move target cursor, f/p - red devil
Aim: a red devil, wielding a demon trident of electrocution (moderately wounded)
You reach to attack! You impale the red devil!!
You kill the red devil!
No target in view!
There is a staircase leading out of the dungeon here.
You have escaped!

#........#####(...........
###........#...###...#......
#....................#.....#
#......#.###...###...#......
#......#..######............
#....####.## ##..#...#......
#....#####.###.#.........#..
#......# ##.#.####.#........
#....#.## ##.## ##.#........
#....##.###.#.###.##........
#.....##.#.#.#.#.##.........
#####.###.#.@.#.###.........
    #.##.#.#.#.#.##......#..
    #.#.###.#.###.#......#..
    #..## ##.## ##....)..#..
    #...###.#.## #.......#.#
    ###..#.###.#########.#..
      ##..## ##[##...(##.#..
       ####   #.............
             #####..........
             #..........)...
             #..............

I've just played a semi-invincible new-demigod with Chei's slow(+stats), Sif's Channel Magic, and Yred's Drain Life. I find that Crawl's at its best when you adapt to whatever the dungeon gives to you, so Draconians and Demonspawn have always been favorites of mine. I enjoyed this character in the same way: The unique combinations of abilities forces you to adapt, and opens up character options in ways that other species do not.

The application of conducts should be reconsidered. I think the species is currently strong enough that conducts should be applied, considering that the species still retains Demigod's stat growth. (The character I played had some really silly stats: Str:40 Int:46 Dex:53) The issue is that gods currently vary wildly in how damaging their conducts are, and that there are relatively few interesting conducts applied compared to powers. I personally think the introduction of conducts would make the species more interesting, by forcing you to play around the downsides of the character. Neither Demonspawn nor Draconians introduce any serious downsides to their randomness, so it would be something new in Crawl.

However, introducing conducts would lead to more ctrl-q from players if a particularly bad conduct could kill a 'fun combo'.

For this message the author ofeo has received thanks:
mattlistener

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2018, 22:16

The description for Demigod was never accurate. The mechanics of Demigod were designed well, to make a proper Demigod going by the definition of the word. Maybe there was some confusion with the description of Demigod, maybe it was based in Forgotten Realm lore. Maybe only the description needed to be changed.

I did have a question, why are you turning Demigods into Demonspawns? It's like stealing Demonspawns only reason to exist as a race in the game.

You could give Demigods +30% hp and ma, and it would practically be as good as random god mutations.

Give Demigods good physical growths like +2 would be just as effective as god mutations. Even at -1 on the magical side, a demigod will excel. Not so much the case with melee/def/ranged.

Just another race I liked, that i'll stop playing.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2018, 23:02

TonberryJam wrote:The description for Demigod was never accurate. The mechanics of Demigod were designed well, to make a proper Demigod going by the definition of the word. Maybe there was some confusion with the description of Demigod, maybe it was based in Forgotten Realm lore. Maybe only the description needed to be changed.

Maybe so. But for many, even the name evokes imaginations for which the reality is disappointing.

TonberryJam wrote:Just another race I liked, that i'll stop playing.

Although I think you're in the minority, change is indeed painful (as evidenced here) and fortunately for you, Demigod is probably going to remain as it is currently. If these mechanics ever exist, they're much more likely to be on a new species entirely. When I am happy with an alternative pitch, I will probably start working on an implementation of that version and create a new thread for it.

TonberryJam wrote:I did have a question, why are you turning Demigods into Demonspawns? It's like stealing Demonspawns only reason to exist as a race in the game.

This is not a fair 1-to-1 comparison, not even remotely. This would up the number of species that gain random bonuses from 2 to 3 (Draconian, Demonspawn, and this), and all three of them have extremely different outputs that all make for extremely different gameplay experiences.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2018, 23:35

So let me get this straight, based on your reply.

1. Delusions are grounds for logical discussion on game design/implementation.
2. Thinking i'm in the minority, makes me for a minority opinion.
3. Change is painful, and the Truth is pleasant.
4. Draconian's get a random sub-species template with fixed abilities, and Demonspawns get random mutations, period.

Conclusion:
The whole thing comes off as turn Demigods into Demongods #TwistedReality.

Suggestion:
Greek Mythology might help you come up with a more proper Race for your idea, rather than trying to over-write one that is completely different in meaning and function. And, in that respect it would more likely be template based going this route. Infringing on the territory of Draconians now, which suggests to me one should focus down on a more unique race that does it's own thing uniquely.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 6th June 2018, 10:12

I liked the 'abyssal' species pitch, but it seems a bit weird for a species not related to Lugonu in any special way.

So, I made this alternative species pitch that these mechanics could possibly go on:

Aion

"Aion" , "Aionic"

The Aion are a group of timeless beings who were violently displaced from their supremacy over the cosmos by the current pantheon of gods. The remaining survivors have merely a fraction of their original power remaining, and bide their time in the shadows, slowly gathering back their godly essence until the day comes once again to do battle with the gods.

The Aion's original source of power is inert, so their manifested powers closely resemble the powers granted to various followers of the Pantheon.

(A piety suggestion : gain extra 'piety' killing heretic priests, like the Beogh conduct, flavoured as regaining more 'godly essence' than normal. )
16/26 on the way to GreaterOctopode (Win all backgrounds as an Octopode)

Progress so far : OpFi, OpGl, OpWn, OpAr, OpCK, OpMo, OpBe, OpHu, OpVM, OpAM, OpWr, OpFE, OpEE, OpNe, OpTm, OpSk

For this message the author Vajrapani has received thanks: 2
Realz, Ultraviolent4

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 16th July 2018, 09:19

This race is amazing. It makes way more sense than default demigod. Default demigod should be called "Forsaken" or something, and maybe even have some additional racial mechanic to make its atheism worth it (since the raw stats really don't measure up to a god). This is a true demigod, and it's truly fun.

Regardless of what this is called, and how much it's nerfed, I love it.

For this message the author funktuous has received thanks:
Realz

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th September 2018, 00:41

The idea of getting a random mixture of abilities from existing gods is neat.

It should be implemented as a new.....

...god.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sprucery
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion