Fix acrobat amulet swapping

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 05:56

Fix acrobat amulet swapping

As you know some amulets are not easily swappable: faith, harm, spirit shield. Yet acrobat is really like rings. I was "lucky" to find acrobat and magic regen before temple as HuVM, now it is optimal to explore with acrobat for surviving centaurs and alike and then swap to magic regen for actually fighting, that's boring (because there is no decision-making) and tiresome.

I suggest to make removing an amulet impossible until you kill a monster while wearing the amulet. It solves problem with acrobat.
Last edited by VeryAngryFelid on Monday, 30th April 2018, 07:35, edited 2 times in total.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 07:19

Re: Fix amulet swapping

rCorr has been a ring since 0.18.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 07:33

Re: Fix amulet swapping

Sprucery wrote:rCorr has been a ring since 0.18.

Oops, for some reason I believed it was changed the other way around, from ring to amulet. Shows how much I use rCorr :)
I will update OP.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 09:21

Re: Fix acrobat amulet swapping

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I suggest to make removing an amulet impossible until you kill a monster while wearing the amulet.

I agree that something should be changed but this solution seems a bit awkward (keep a bat around just for allowing fast amulet change) and not very elegant flavour-wise. For example, the suggestion of making all amulets fragile seems more intriguing to me.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 09:36

I was trying to add some decision-making to fights if possible. Ideally there should be choice between running from Erolcha immediately and switching to acrobat after killing a plain orc, though my suggestion does not provide that.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 16:12

Easily done, change it back into an amulet of rMut, and there will be no more swapping it off.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 24th May 2018, 17:08

It would be nice if all amulets and not just those three were harder to swap. Perhaps:
1- Amulet of regenerations first don't regenerate and then slowly increase their rate.
2- Removing amulet of reflection causes confusion (because of the sudden disappeaing of the distortion energy around it?)
3- Equiping the amulet of gourmand makes you more hungry.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th May 2018, 17:21

Wouldn't it make more sense to put a restriction on the amulet slot itself, compared to having a unique "don't be incentivized to boringly swap this" mechanic on most amulets?

eg: amulets cannot be swapped with an enemy in view. Or, amulets take 2 auts to remove and put on.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 24th May 2018, 17:33

mattlistener wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to put a restriction on the amulet slot itself, compared to having a unique "don't be incentivized to boringly swap this" mechanic on most amulets?

eg: amulets cannot be swapped with an enemy in view. Or, amulets take 2 auts to remove and put on.

Sure, but I quite like the flavour it gives (although personally I hate amulet of harm as its penality is too strong in comparison with the rest, imho).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th May 2018, 21:34

Antares wrote:It would be nice if all amulets and not just those three were harder to swap. Perhaps:
1- Amulet of regenerations first don't regenerate and then slowly increase their rate.
2- Removing amulet of reflection causes confusion (because of the sudden disappeaing of the distortion energy around it?)
3- Equiping the amulet of gourmand makes you more hungry.

Amulets of regen, and magic regen already don't heal you until you get to max hps/mps while wearing them. Gourmand takes time (and therefore lets corpses rot) to give you the ability to eat chunks up to engorged.

Reflection, Rage, and Acrobat are the only ones presently without some kind of swapping limitation (It is reasonably to say that the limitation on swapping magic regen isn't sufficient, as you generally have a choice as to whether to use any MP before you decide to swap it in.)

Reflection and Acrobat are similar in their net effect, maybe they should just be merged into one amulet.

If there was a delay on Berserk being usable when equipping "Rage it'd probably be sufficient to dissuade it's use (as it's 'swap-in' use is desirable to use immediately, in an optimal world you would swap it in whenever you wanted to berserk, and always have something else equipped otherwise)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 24th May 2018, 23:00

My "vote" would go for bigger penalties, like the amulet of faith, harm and guardian. The first two in particular require a certain comittment. Perhaps for rage it could exhaust you (like berserk does afterwards)?

Anyway, it's up to the team. Just don't leave it as inconsistent as it is now, with some amulet having equip/unequip effects and others not. :)

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 17th June 2018, 23:50

How about sleeping the player when you put on amulet of the acrobat

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 18th June 2018, 05:26

Why not just require every amulet that has a strictly positive effect to "attune to a full HP character" before it does its main effect? Leave artifact necklaces alone, so you still get your stats and resists, but you don't get the reflection piece or the regen piece until you hit max HP?

For this message the author Stonar has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Return to Game Design Discussion