Please Change How Jiyva Works

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 16:01

Please Change How Jiyva Works

Problem # 1 is the message spam. You receive a huge quantity of messages, about sounds, and sacrifices, and stuff, and even random communications from Jiyva. You spend a lot of time handling the message log instead of playing. It also interrupts resting and makes repeatedly "5"ing tedious.
Part of the spam are the creatures looking at you suspiciously and then relaxing. That's nice the first time you read it, but it's bad when it's repeated for every slime in a slime pack.

Problem # 2 is strictly related to the first one: it's hard to keep tabs on your mutations, because they are lost amidst a sea of messages. During a recent game, I actually noticed that there was no information when you gained Jiyva mutations. So your AC can be nuked (deformed body with pseudopods), and you may realize it too late. Beside detrimental mutations, if you don't know that you have certain mutations, you cannot take decisions based on them, which makes them irrelevant to game play.

Problem #3 is bad inventory interaction. Mutations rarely do something that inventory items don't. Elemental and magic resists, AC, SH, Gourmet, regeneration, EV, flight all do something that non-artifact items do. If your mutations are stable, you can count on them and select which items to carry. So you leave your ring of rF if you have the rF mutation. However, if they aren't stable, well, you better still carry the items around, just in case the mutations disappear when you need them!
Hunger is also a subset of this. You get nutrition when your jellies eat something. However, you don't really know if you might somehow run out of nutrition because of some edge case, like hunger ghosts, so you have to carry some food around. It would be better to simply remove hunger for Jiyva followers.
These problems are exacerbated by how inventory space is much more important for Jiyva followers; otherwise, I'd have ignored the hunger issue.

Problem # 4, the worst one, is the lag. Jiyva is is very resource intensive for the computer. I never have this kind of problem with other gods; I play locally, not online. Sometimes, you are left there for some seconds, wondering what's going on. Since the game has very few animations, it's hard to understand if you simply missed or if the game froze and is still taking your commands (which is a great way to die, once it unfreezes).

In older versions, you can't directly hit shapeshifters that turned themselves into Jiyva's minions, even though they will attack you. I had to use an axe and ctrl+arrow in a direction different from their position to indirectly kill them with cleaving. Shapeshifters in certain forms (I have tested this with shining eye and eye of draining) can eat stuff like items and doors, but only if you worship Jiyva. I didn't check if this is still the case in current versions.

Stats shuffling generally receives a bad rap, but I never noticed it having any real impact.

Some solution proposals:

Reduce the number of messages, and remove all messages related to jellies. This comprises slurping noises. Add a "hit spacebar to continue" for Jiyva mutations, and have the game actually show you what they are in the message section.
Allow the player to choose which mutations to remove, from all of them. Good/bad mutations depend on build and intent: so horns can be bad if you have good headgear, and wild/subdued magic can be good or bad depending on the spells you like using. Allow the player to remove Jiyva mutations, too, since they can give you penalties.
If Jiyva offers to remove one of your mutations to substitute it with a new one, you could get a "y/n" prompt, possibly as an ability, like Ru sacrifices. This would counter the inventory strain a bit, and would make Jiyva more unique. The same system could be applied to the shuffling.

I don't know where the lag comes from. Maybe it's the jellies. If that's the case, jellies could be substituted with random item destruction across the level, without the creature generation. It would be a pity, because they give strong flavour, but it's better than the current situation.

(If you had a feeling of déjà vu, it's because this message comprises large parts of older posts.)
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Majang, Realz, Vajrapani

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 16:29

Re: Please Change How Jiyva Works

The problem with stat shuffling is that, at least in older versions, it considers your current stats rather than base stats.

This means that Jiyva can and will reduce your STR far, far below 0 if you're a felid with +STR items (and/or dragon form). After all, you aren't wearing any armor, so clearly you don't need all that extra strength.

For this message the author Croases has received thanks: 2
genericpseudonym, Shtopit

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 12th April 2018, 15:28

Croases wrote:The problem with stat shuffling is that, at least in older versions, it considers your current stats rather than base stats.

This means that Jiyva can and will reduce your STR far, far below 0 if you're a felid with +STR items (and/or dragon form). After all, you aren't wearing any armor, so clearly you don't need all that extra strength.

I had no idea that it could go that far. I think that having the choice to take or leave the shuffling in the (a)bilities menu would be the best.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th April 2018, 21:28

Croases wrote:The problem with stat shuffling is that, at least in older versions, it considers your current stats rather than base stats.

Ever see a troll with zero strength? http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 034156.txt

Note I still had 7 base strength after Jiyva here, I just lost the remaining 7 through other means. I did hit 0 strength on a level 27 troll though, which should be some sort of achievement unlocked scenario regardless.

Actually I think that 7 is 3+4 from gear? There's so many strength modifiers going on here I'm not really sure. I also had -2 mutation, and lost most of the rest from a degeneration mutation.

Also funfact, it appears i'm the only person who's ever actually managed to die on a troll with 0 or less strength:

[14:42] <tasonir> !lg * troll str<=0
[14:42] <Sequell> 1. tasonir the Grand Master (L27 TrHu of Makhleb), slain by a lorocyproca (summoned by Ereshkigal) on Tar:7 (tar_mu; tar_mu_maze) on 2015-07-15 03:41:56, with 1341864 points after 96066 turns and 10:41:11.

This was still higher strength than when I was trying to clear a Zigg, and got polymorphed into a bat with -2 strength: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16920 (same character)

Best quote from the log:

96065 | Tar:7 | gammafunk: how did you fuck this up so perfectly

Return to Game Design Discussion