auto cast deflect missile when resting

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 2nd April 2018, 23:20

auto cast deflect missile when resting

I cant be the only one who learns deflect missile and then have it turned off like 80% of the time because you dont realize its been knocked out.. right?

For this message the author gameguard has received thanks: 6
duvessa, Hellmonk, mrob, nago, Patashu, VeryAngryFelid

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 2nd April 2018, 23:34

Re: auto cast deflect missile when resting

I think there's a LUA script to do this but I'd love it as an rc setting. Something like cast_at_max_mp=spell1,spell2,spell3 and whenever you hit full MP it tries to cast each spell until one of them succeeds.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 09:50

Yes I think there other spells you could want to (keep) cast when resting, such as regen, or even sublimation of blood, and so on.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 17:07

Patashu wrote:I think there's a LUA script to do this but I'd love it as an rc setting. Something like cast_at_max_mp=spell1,spell2,spell3 and whenever you hit full MP it tries to cast each spell until one of them succeeds.

That sounds like an EXCELLENT way to immediately miscast yourself to death after learning a spell. I don't think setting that in the RC is a good idea. If you do, you'd probably have to set some sort of spell failure breakpoint (i.e. it won't try to do this until failure is <10%) or else this would have to be implemented as a system in-game. Trying to autocast dMis when you just learned it as your first Air spell seems like a recipe for Airstriking yourself or glowing to the point of malmutation.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 18:03

If deflect missiles is going to exist at all, it should be permanent. Breaking the effect so you have to recast it does nothing but add tedium. If you want dmsl to scale with spellpower, just scale the actual effect with spellpower. If you want to keep the current "sometimes you lose dmsl for the rest of one combat" behavior, just give a short duration -dmsl status under the circumstances where it'd break now, or failure rate / 100 times, or whatever.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 7
duvessa, genericpseudonym, Implojin, nago, Rast, Shtopit, VeryAngryFelid

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 19:41

Hellmonk wrote:If deflect missiles is going to exist at all, it should be permanent. Breaking the effect so you have to recast it does nothing but add tedium. If you want dmsl to scale with spellpower, just scale the actual effect with spellpower. If you want to keep the current "sometimes you lose dmsl for the rest of one combat" behavior, just give a short duration -dmsl status under the circumstances where it'd break now, or failure rate / 100 times, or whatever.

This could work, but it would require some code to cancel the dmsl buff when you forget the spell, since otherwise you would never have to keep those 6 spell levels after casting it once. (other than say Quicksilver Dragons if you kept that interaction)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 20:10

Hellmonk wrote:If deflect missiles is going to exist at all, it should be permanent. Breaking the effect so you have to recast it does nothing but add tedium. If you want dmsl to scale with spellpower, just scale the actual effect with spellpower. If you want to keep the current "sometimes you lose dmsl for the rest of one combat" behavior, just give a short duration -dmsl status under the circumstances where it'd break now, or failure rate / 100 times, or whatever.

Really cool idea. I think that it could be applied to other spells, like Ozzy, Shroud of Golubria, and a few more. Is it in Hellcrawl?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 23:52

tself55 wrote:

This could work, but it would require some code to cancel the dmsl buff when you forget the spell, since otherwise you would never have to keep those 6 spell levels after casting it once. (other than say Quicksilver Dragons if you kept that interaction)

I'm pretty sure canceling DMsl when you forget the spell is already implemented.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 4th April 2018, 07:49

PseudoLoneWolf wrote:
Patashu wrote:I think there's a LUA script to do this but I'd love it as an rc setting. Something like cast_at_max_mp=spell1,spell2,spell3 and whenever you hit full MP it tries to cast each spell until one of them succeeds.

That sounds like an EXCELLENT way to immediately miscast yourself to death after learning a spell. I don't think setting that in the RC is a good idea. If you do, you'd probably have to set some sort of spell failure breakpoint (i.e. it won't try to do this until failure is <10%) or else this would have to be implemented as a system in-game. Trying to autocast dMis when you just learned it as your first Air spell seems like a recipe for Airstriking yourself or glowing to the point of malmutation.

Or you could just check for the Contam status in the script
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th April 2018, 08:21

There is already an option "fail_severity_to_confirm".
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Game Design Discussion